« AnteriorContinuar »
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
'Tis new to thee. Alon. What is this maid with whom thou wast
Sir, she is mortal;
I am hers:
There, sir, stop :
I have inly wept,
say, Amen, Gonzalo ! Gon. Was Milan thrust from Milan, that his
And Ferdinand, her brother, found a wife
Alon. [To Fer. and Mir.] Give me your hands :
Be it so ! Amen!
Re-enter ARIEL, with the Master and Boatswain
Ari. [Aside to Pros.] Sir, all this service
Pros. [Aside to Ari.] My tricksy spirit !
hither? Boats. If I did think, sir, I were well awake,
223. glasses, hours. The V. 186 shows that Shakespeare seaman's 'glass' in Shake is here following his ordinary speare's time has been shown to usage of the word. have been half an hour ; but
I'ld strive to tell you. We were dead of sleep, And — how we know not—all clapp'd under
hatches; Where but even now with strange and several
Ari. [Aside to Pros. Was 't well done?
Thou shalt be free.
Sir, my liege,
Come hither, spirit :
230. dead of sleep, in a dead 248. resolve you, give you an sleep.
explanation. 247. pick'd, chosen.
249. Which, i.e. the explana. 218. single, alone, in private. tion.
There are yet missing of your company
Re-enter ARIEL, driving in CALIBAN, STEPHANO
and TRINCULO, in their stolen apparel. Ste. Every man shift for all the rest, and let no man take care for himself; for all is but fortune. Coragio, bully-monster, coragio!
Trin. If these be true spies which I wear in my head, here's a goodly sight.
Cal. O Setebos, these be brave spirits indeed !
Very like; one of them
I shall be pinch'd to death. Alon. Is not this Stephano, my drunken butler ? Seb. He is drunk now: where had he wine?
267. badges, silver plates 271. deal in her command bearing their master's arms, without her power, exercise her worn by servants as part of their influence beyond her sphere. livery.
Alon. And Trinculo is reeling ripe: where
should they Find this grand liquor that hath gilded 'em ? How camest thou in this pickle ?
Trin. I have been in such a pickle since I saw you last that, I fear me, will never out of my bones: I shall not fear fly-blowing.
Seb. Why, how now, Stephano!
[Pointing to Caliban.
Cal. Ay, that I will; and I'll be wise hereafter
What a thrice-double ass
Go to; away!
you found it.
Seb. Or stole it, rather.
[Exeunt Cal., Ste., and Trin. Pros. Sir, invite your highness and your
train To my poor cell, where you shall take your rest For this one night; which, part of it, I'll waste With such discourse as, I not doubt, shall make it Go quick away; the story of my life
279. reeling ripe, intoxicated 280. gilded 'em, made them to the reeling-point. Analogous glow. phrases were: tumbling -ripe, weeping-ripe, crying-ripe.
302. waste, spend.