Imágenes de páginas

Jesus Christ; and, having found the pearl of great price, she sought the means whereby she retained it. She began to meet in brother Peter Roebuck's class, "and," says her leader, "as far as I am aware, walked worthy of her high calling. Her experience generally was of a satisfactory character, often affirming her confidence in the efficacy of the blood of Christ, and ber confidence in the promises of God."

In the month of August, 1849, she took a severe cold, which ultimately brought on consumption. For more than twelve months her health gradually and visibly declined. Medical aid was sought, and other remedial means were resorted to; but all proved ineffectual, The seeds of mortality were sown too deeply, and it was beyond the power of man to eradicate them from her delicate frame. It would appear that she had contemplated her approaching dissolution, and therefore resolved to labour as long as she could. She continued to follow her employment at the mill until compelled by extreme weakness to leave it; although she was frequently remonstrated with and requested not to do so, she invariably replied, “ I'll go as long as I can I shall soon have done in this world ; but I am going home. There is a rest that remaineth for me, and I am hasting to it.” On the 1st of April, 1851, her medical attendant called to see her; and, after he had silently observed her for some time, sbe asked him bis opinion of her. He replied that she was very ill. “Yes," she said, “I am very ill; but I want no medicine, only, if possible, I want my cough relieved." The doctor gave no hopes of her recovery; and when she was informed of his conclusion, she heard it unmoved, and said that she had given herself up a great while ago. “It is the Lord, let him do what seemeth him good."

One day, when a friend was speaking to her of her weakness, she spoke at some length of the frailties of the body, and the perfection of the immortal state, and the glory and happiness of that heaven for which she was fully prepared, and should shortly enter, repeating the following verse :

Though painful at present,

'Twill cease before long, And then, oh, how pleasant

The conqueror's song! Her conversation was of such a heavenly character that it was delightful to be in her company. It was no small source of comfort to her husband and family to see ber so happy.

A day or two before she died, she said, “Do not mourn for me, sister, it will only make me worse, and to all appearances I must not be here long. I feel quite resigned, and I shall soon be better off."

She often spoke of the happiness she enjoyed in not having peace to seek with God now that her end was approaching, Her sufferings were those well known in the last stages of consumption; but she never murmured, she endured very p&tiently the will of the Lord. But when her husband was speaking to her on the subject, she said, “I have had to pray for it, I have had to pray for it.” On the Sunday before her death (which was Easter Sunday), she sat in the open air while her husband read portions of Scripture to her, chiefly from the Psalms, to which she listened with attention and delight.

Early on the morning of the day of her death, her husband was speaking to her concerning spiritual things, when she remarked that latterly she had often been awake in the night, sometimes praying, and at other times with a strong desire to sing ; but she was unable. On this day (Tuesday) she appeared rather better; but she said she felt some curious sensations all over her body. After dinner, she thought she could sit up a little, and she did so for about half an hour, and from that time until about four o'clock many of her friends came to see her. When her leader came, and when he bad spoken to her for a short time and prayed with her, he took his leave. She began to be much worse, until six o'clock, when those of her friends and relatives present thought she was about to take her departure ; for her struggles ceased, and for some time she lay apparently unconscious. But such was not the case, for, about seven o'clock, she again opened her eyes, and began to converse with us a little. Her sister asked her if she could do anything for her, and she answered, “No;" and, clasping ber hands on her breast in boly resignation, said, « Let me di

She had no fear of Death ; his sting was withdrawn, and she could talk about dying with as little emotion as of going to sleep. Her mind continued calm and serene, and was able, in faint whispers, to answer any questions that might be put to her, until her happy spirit took its flight to realms of bliss

Far from a world of grief and sin, With God eternally shut in. She died on Tuesday, April the 22nd, 1851, in the twenty-eighth year of her

[ocr errors]

age. Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.



IRELAND. On Wednesday morning, Jan. 14th, our dear sister Collins departed this life, in a sure and certain hope of a glorious resurrection to everlasting life. She had the unspeakable privilege of being trained up by godly parents. Mr. Wm. Green (her father) received our ministers into his house about twenty years ago. Mrs. Green was a helper to her husband in the way to heaven, and willingly sustained the cause of God by her influence, prayers and contributions. She finished her earthly career about four years ago, and fell asleep in Jesus. Mrs. C., her daughter, was blest with the privilege of being united to a godly partner. About the year 1836 she was born of the Spirit, at a revival prayer.meeting, when the writer was engaged in prayer. God, in the wisdom of his inscrutable Provi.

of his ingerütable Provi. dence, soon separated these happy com. panions; and Death, with an iron grasp, tore them asunder. He died suddenly, but died in the Lord. Mrs. C. now remained in her father's house. She there had the kindest attention from her father and sisters. Here, also, she had the pri. vilege of class and the preaching of the word. Often she was the subject of affliction; but as the outward man perished, her soul was more and more renewed in the image of God. Her leader, Mr. Dickey, admired her growing piety and devotion to God. In last November her health entirely sank. and all medicine failed to restore her broken-down con. stitution. Mrs. C. had little temptation from the enemy. Her mind was graciously supported by the word and Spirit of the Lord; and the comforts of true religion seemed to abound more in the day of pain and weakness than in time of ease and health. The beautiful language of the poet seems applicable to her case : When my sufferings most increase,

Then the strongest joy is given ;
Jesus comes with the distress,

And agony is heaven. All doubts and tears were removed with regard to her acceptance with God; & clear sense of the divine favour was en joyed; and the Spirit in a most satisfac. tory manner bore witness with her spirit that she was a child of God. The writer visited her several times before her de parture to the heavenly state. He found

her the subject of much suffering, but always happy in Jesus. The night before she died, she gathered her sisters and friends around her, and in the most fervent and feeling manner exhorted each and all to dedicate themselves fully and unreservedly to God, to leave off all sin, and to love Christ with all the heart. They were all melted upon this occasion, and wept together. A friend was apprehensive that she was dying, and re. quested that several absent relatives might be sent for. “Oh !" said she, “I have the best friend with me that is Jesus. He has kept and blessed me, and he will do all for me.” At this moment she seemed entirely weaned from earth, and to have received dying grace. Her soul was on wing for glory. Again she said, “ There is Jesus! do you not see him? He is come for me.

God is love, I know, I feel,

Jesus weeps and loves me still.". Mrs. Collins was now suffering greatly, but seemed to enjoy the perfect use of her understanding, and spoke now and again nearly to the last moment of her stay on earth. Just before she expired, she said, “I bless the Lord ! I praise the Lord! Victory!" On this morning the weary wheels of life stood still, and her redeemed spirit quitted the tabernacle of clay for an abode in the regions of immortality.

We have lost a devoted member, but our loss is her infinite gain. "Let me die the death of the righteous," and may my last end be like unto hers. The writer improved this solemn occurrence in our chapel, in a sermon founded on 1 Corinthians xv, 26. She has left one child to mourn her loss. May the Father of the fatherless be its guide. Amen.

Broomhedge, March 4, 1852.

JOHN WHITELEY. The subject of this memoir was born at Blackshaw Clough, in the township of Soyland, in the parish of Halifax, on the 25th of December, 1783. His parents were steady, moral people. They professed no religion except attending the church ; but they brought up their children to industry and honesty. Brother Whiteley was married when upwards of twenty years of age; and sometime after this he was convinced that he was a sinner in a remarkable manner. He was at his work, at the loom, when suddenly the Spirit of God brought the commandment home to his heart, and he saw clearly that he was in the wrong

way. He then began sincerely to repent of his sins, and did not delay to another time, but left his work to seek for information respecting the salvation of his soul. He found it very difficult to get any instruction. He went to one man of the name of William Wilson, and began to speak about the New Testament, but got no instruction. He soon joined the Wesleyan Society, as there was no New Connexion at that time in this part of the country. The first and second sermons that he heard he ever after wards remembered. One was on repentanee, the other on the valley of dry bones. He continued a member of the Wesleyan Society about twelve years, during which time he had affliction in his family, and had to suffer the loss of his wife and some of his children, which he bore with Christian resignation, and was enabled to say, “It is the Lord, let him do what seemeth him good." He afterwards made choice of a woman of the name of Sarah Carter, a member of the Wesleyan Society, to be the sharer of his joys and sorrows.

In the year 1815 the Wesleyans established a Sunday-school at Lighthazles, and brother Whiteley began to be a teacher at its commencement, and continued to be a teacher or superintendent up to the time of his last affliction. In 1816 or 1817 there was some little difference between the teachers and the Wesleyan Society, and brother Whiteley, along with other teachers, called in the New Connexion, and he has been a member of this Society about thirty-four years.

As a class-leader he was constant and faithful. The first class that he was appointed to lead was held at Ripponden Bank Hall. He then lived at the Water Green, Soyland, a distance of about three miles. So determined was he to attend his class that both little things and great things had to give way to his sense of duty. He often had to begin his work after he returned home. Other classes since then he has had under his care and management. As a member he supported the cause according to his ability. He promoted the peace and happiness of the Society to the utmost of his power. If anything had been spoken at any time likely to hurt the feelings of a brother, he would urge again and again that brotherly love should cortinue, and he would sometimes say that “religion is love, see that ye love one another."

As a Sunday-school teacher, we give the following testimony of the Light

bazles teachers: “We who have been co-workers and fellow-teachers with bro. ther Whiteley in the Lighthazles Sunday. school, can testify, so far as we have had acquaintance with him for the last thirty-six years, that as a teacher and superintendent he has been faithful in discharging the duties incumbent upon him. As a Christian, he has often exhorted and entreated the children to make their peace with God. He manifested great patience, and took great pains with the children, and was always delighted and well pleased when they behaved well. As

health mitted he continued to come to the school. The Monday before his death a few of us visited him. We found him very ill, but he was pleased to see us; and while in conversation with bim he said he was deeply interested in the welfare of the school. He said, also, that his attachment to the teachers and scholars was as great as ever. He then said, “Tell them all from me that I should like to meet them all in heaven." Being asked again if he had anything particular to send to any of the scholars, he said that he purposed to write a few lines to them; but soon after was taken very ill, and having to contend with the pains of death, had not the opportunity of writing to them. We, as teachers, deeply feel our loss, and are very sorry; yet we feel thankfal that he has gained the blissful share of immortal happiness." There are other accounts from the Lighthazles Sunday-school teachers equally worthy.

About a fortnight before his death a friend asked him if he realized any comfort in the possession of true religion. He replied, That his hope was in Christ alone; that Christ was precious. He then said, “ It is well that I have not religion to seek on a sick bed." He felt sorry that he could not attend to family prayer and other duties that devolved upon him, to which his friend replied, that the desire for prayer is acceptable to God, who knows all our infirmities; for Jesus is a faithful high-priest in things pertaining to God, and is touched with the feeling of our infirmities, and knows how to deliver them that are tempted. To another friend he said the night following, that the earthly house of his tabernacle was near its dissolution, but he had a good hope that he had a building of God, & house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. At another time he said that he was quite resigned to the will of his heavenly Father, whether it was for life or death.

A few days after he said to one of his Society; and then hoped they would join friends that he did not depend upon again. He hoped to see them in heaven. anything that he had said or done; but

W. II. Christ was all and in all to him. He also said several times during his afilic

FREDERICK BRADFORD. tion that he would not change his blessed FREDERICK BRADFORD was born in estate for all the world calls rich or Leeds, May 27th, 1799. It did not fall great.

to the lot of our brother, in the day of He always exhorted the followers of his youth, to be trained either in the Christ to the duty of Christian watch principles of morality or religion; "no fulness and persevering prayer, to be one cared for his soul.” Whilst many prepared for the coming of their Lord can rejoice in having had the prayers and by death. To his dear wife he said advice of pious parents, no one taught the night before his death that he him the infant's prayer, or how to lisp in was sure that his God would not hymns a Saviour's name. He was thrown forsake him when passing through the on the world with a parochial indenture, valley of the shadow of death. He and served part of his time with an innearnestly requested her and all his keeper, and the other part with the same family to cleave to the Lord with pur- master as a stuff manufacturer. After pose of heart, and to meet him at the his apprenticeship he was employed by right hand of Christ in heaven. To his the late Mr. Eli Whitley, in whose daughter Ellen, at breakfast-time on service he continued twenty-two years ; Wednesday, the day of his death, when and what may be deemed a singular she asked him how he felt, he said that coincidence, master and man died in the he was praying for himself, and that a same week, both leaving the same testiblessing might rest on all his family. mony that religion is the “ope thing He then exclaimed

needful.” Yonder is my house and portion fair.

Many were the trials our brother had My treasure and my heart are there,

to pass througb during his earthly pilAnd my abiding home.

grimage. His confidence in the promises

of God never failed him, and to the last He sweetly fell asleep in Jesus on Wed- he could truly say, God is good and wise nesday the 30th of April, 1851, in the in all his providential dispensations. 68th year of his age.

His first divine impressions were received I have been acquainted with brother in Ebenezer Chapel. After he had long Whiteley for at least twenty years. When been a rebel against God, dwelling in the about sixteen or seventeen years of age abodes of wickedness, and drinking in I came to preach in Soyland Chapel, and iniquity, he was by some circumstances was taken by brother Whiteley to dinner; led to this chapel, during the first year and from all that I have seen and known of the ministry of the Rev. T. Batty; the of bim I believe the accounts I have just word came home to his couscience, pro. read are true. In his last illness he was ducing deep convictions of sin, a painful very desirous that I should visit him. I sense of his sinful coudition, and a did so as often as I could. At one of determination to flee from the wrath to these interviews I said to him, “You eome, and lay hold on Christ Jesus, the have seen this Church in prosperity and Hope set before him. For a considerin adversity." He replied, “I have." able time he continued to live under I then said, “You have lived to see a these feelings of condemnation, seeking remarkable revival of religion, and to peace for his soul but finding none. Ile take part in the same.” At the men- entered as a teacher in Bethel Sunday. tion of this he seemed quite orerjoyed school, of which he was the first superHe then said that he hoped that he intendent; the school still continues should meet us all in heaven, adding, in the hands of the Independents. with energy, that he hoped the revival Shortly afterwards, or Zion Chapel would go on glorionsly. And while we was erected at the Bank, and brother were rejoicing on earth, he believed (as Bradford joined the Society, and found a there is joy in heaven over one sinner settled rest and peace to his soul. He that repenteth) that he should know and first met in class with brother Steel, and, rejoice with us in heaven. At another from that time to his death, he retained time, when we were speaking to him re- a clear sense of divine favour and acceptspecting the time he had been in the ance with God. His manifest zeal for Society, he said he thought he was the the Lord of Hosts, his uniform conduct oldest member; but at the same time and pious demeanour, induced the mentioned two others that would have Church to constitute him a class-leader, been as old if they had remained in the which office he faithfully and efficiently

This siti, asked him a question, to Taict be replied, “ No, all is calm, all is pesce,then with uplifted hands he exclaimed

I krog that y Redeemer lives,

Asieret prays for me. On the Saturdsy, after a kind friend had engaged in prayer, be said to his wife, * I feel I am sizing fast, but all is well. His rod and staff, they comfort me.

Vs God is reconcled,

His pericaisg roioe I hear;
He oves me ior his china,

I can no longe fear." Many other expressions did he utter expressive of his assurance of rest, his con dence in the blood of Atonement, and his hope of immortal life in the kingdom of glory. In this faith and confidence did our brother die July 19th, 1951, sged 52 years. His death was improved in funeral sermon by the Rev. W. Ford.


discharged to edifcation of the people. during twenty-one years of his He. Ide last time be tret kis elass vis on San day before he died; he is a's doorkeeper for Zion Chapei seventeen years. He lived in the fear of God, and the fail enjoyment of true religion, di gently attended the means of grace, and, in parental solieitade, brought up his ciuildren in the fear of the Lord, several of whom are no members of our Society.

It may not be improper to mention the estimation in whieb, generally speaking, he was held by his neigsbours; if any one was sick or at the point of death, do matter to what denomication such persons belonged, our brother was fre. quendy sent for to pray with them, and to administer that spiritasl consolation and advice which is all important to the dying. But we must now touch upon the value to himself in affiction and

Ô death of that religion which he had so frequently recommended to others.

For nearly nine months he was a great sufferer, enduring much acute pain of body; but in all this he murmured not, bat endured his sufferings with true Christian resignation to the will of God. Nevertheless, the prospect of leaving & large family of children, and a wife in delicate health, seemed sometimes to depress his mind. He felt the burden, bat made the following observation : It was easy when I was able to go about, to say 'Thy will be done, but when it comes to the point, the mind seems to stagger.” A fortnight previous to his death, he called for his children, and, whilst they were around his bed, affectionately commended them to God, and with much energy exclaimed, *All is well! all is well !" expecting every moment to take his final departure However, he rallied, and on one of his neighbours coming in a short time after, he said, “Oh, you should have been here sooner! We have had a grand meeting!” His soul was filled with extatie joy, even in the prospect of death. To brother Steel he remarked, “ I am happy, I am happy, I am on the Rock.” He endeavoured to sing

Other refuge bave I none.

Hangs my helpless soul on thee; but here his pain was so great that it forced him to desist. On the Friday, he felt the cords of life were gradually loosening, and, looking at his wife, desired her to be resigned, for they would soon be separated-to put her whole trust in God. During the day he was somewhat relieved of his pain and lay very quiet; but his wife, thinking that he was low in

MARY SHAW. M ART Shaw, the subject of the present memoir, was the mother of our esteemed brother John Shaw, of Pudsey, whose praise is in all our churches. She was born at Padsey. Her parents were truly pious, and her father was one of the first leaders in Pudsey connected with the New Connexion. Mary, when young, before she evinced any sign of conversion, was moral in her habits, of grave and serious deportment. She became united in marriage to James Shaw in 1812, and soon after became the subject of a change of mind, which resulted in her union with the Church in Pudsey. From that time she continued till the time of her death a consistent and faithful member of the Church. She lived and died in the Lord; and hence, when death looked her full in the face, she was not afraid. She seemed to enjoy the experience of Paul when he said, “I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord the righteous judge shall give me at that day; and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

The experience of our dear sister was of that very equal obaracter, and presented such a delightful unity, that there was nothing bold and striking. There were no crotchets, no breaks in her charaeter. Her path was as the shining light, which shineth more and more unto the perfect day. But still there were

« AnteriorContinuar »