« AnteriorContinuar »
In putting forth this pointing of the Canticles and Psalter, in accordance with the direction of the General Convention, the Commission would call attention to the great importance and practical usefulness of the following suggestions taken from the Preface to the “Cathedral Psalter":
1. The words, from the commencement of each verse and half-verse, up to the accented syllable, are called the Recitation.
2. On reaching the accented syllable, and beginning with it, the music of the chant commences, in strict time (a tempo), the upright strokes corresponding to the bars. The Recitation must therefore be considered as outside the chant, and may be of any length: The note on which the Recitation is made is called the Recitingnote.
3. If there is no syllable after that which is accented, the accented syllable must be held for one whole bar or measure.
4. An asterisk (*) is a direction to take breath. Other stops (, ;) must be attended to as in good reading.
5. As the accent holds the position of the first beat of the first bar, it is unnecessary to sing it louder than any of the words recited: its position, musically, will give it quite enough emphasis.
H. A. NEELY, Chairman.
DAY 1. MORNING.
Psalm 1. Beatus vir qui non abiit. RLESSED is the man that hath not walked in the
counsel of the ungodly * nor stood in the way of | sinners : and hath not sát in the seat := | of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord: and in his law will he exercise him self · = ľ day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the water | side : that will bring forth his | fruit in i due = | season.
4 His léaf also | shall not | wither: and look, whatsoever he | doeth, it shall | prosper.
5 As for the ungodly, it is not so with them : but they are like the chaff * which the wind scattereth away from the face · = of the earth.
6 Therefore the ungodly shall not be able to stánd | in the judgment: neither the sinners in the cóngre | gation 1 of the | righteous.
7 But the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous : and the way of the un | godly / shall · = 1 perish.
PSALM 2. Quare fremuerunt gentes ? W hy do the heathen so fariously / rage to I
gether: and why do the people im | agine • a I vain : = | thing ?