« AnteriorContinuar »
ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. For where Envying and Strife is, there is Confusion and every evil Work.
w Whosoever is angry with his Brother without a Cause, thall be in Danger of the Judgment.
* Blessed are the Peace-makers, for they shall be called the Children of God. But him that soweth Discord among Brethren, the Lord hateth.
y Thus faith the Lord, Execute ye Judgment and Righteousness. That which is altogether just shalt thou follow.
z All Things whatsoever ye would that Men should do to you, do you even so to them ; for this is the Law and the Prophets.
a Render to all their Pues : Tribute to whom Tribute is due, Custom to whoin Custom, Fear to whom Fear, Honour to whom Honour.
Ye must be faithful in all Things. In all your Labours let none Iniquity be found in you,
• He that is faithful in that which is least, is faithful also in much; and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous Mainmon, who will commit to your Trust the true Riches?
James 3. 16.
• Gal. 5. 15.
w Mat. 5. 224
* Mat. Prov. 6. 19, 16.
Y Jer. 22. 3: 5.9.
Deut. 16. 20. > Mat. 7. 12. a Rom. 13. 7.
bi Tim. 3: 11. Hosça e Luke 16. 10, 11.
d It is Joy to the Just to do Judgment.
• To do justice and Judgment is more acceptable to the Lord than Sacrifice.
f If a Man be just, and do that which is law. ful and right; hath not .oppressed any, hath spoiled none by Violence, hath withdrawn his Hand from Iniquity, and hath executed true Judgment between Man and Man; he shall surely live, saith the Lord God.
8 Let none of you imagine Evil against his Brother in your Heart.
* Devise not Evil against thy Neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee.
i He that deviseth to do Evil, shall be called a mischievous Person.
k Do no Wrong, do no Violence. Why do ye not rather take Wrong than do Wrong to your Brethren?
I To have respect of Persons is not good; for, for a Piece of Bread that Man will transgress.
m He that doth Wrong, fhall receive for the Wrong which he hath done. As he hath done, it shall be done unto him; his Reward shall return upon his own Head.
n Wo to thee that spoilest, and thou wast not spoiled; and dealest treacheroully, and they dealt not treacherously with thee.
• Wo unto them which justify the Wicked for Reward, and take away the Righteousness of the Righteous from him.
d Prov. 21. 15.
f Ezek. 18. 5, 7, 8,
1 Prov. 24. 8. 9:
1 Proy. 28. 21. m Col, Jer. 22. 3.
1 Cor. 6. 7,8. 3. 25. Obad. 156 n Isa. 33. 1.
• Ifa. 5. 22, 2? Who
p Whoso rewardeth Evil for Good, Evil shall not depart from his House.
9 All that do unrighteoully are an Abomination unto the Lord.
Particular Kinds of INJUSTICE forbid.
I Thou shalt not kill. Murder.
• Whoso sheddeth Man's Blood, by Man shall his Blood be shed; for in the Image of God made he Man.
* Surely, saith God, the Blood of your Lives will I require. At the Hand of every Beast will I require it ; and at the Hand of Man, at the Hand of every Man's Brother, will I require the Life of Man.
"If any Man hate his Neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally, that he die, thine Eye shall not pity him ; but thou shalt put away the Guilt of innocent Blood from ihy Land.
w But whoso killeth his Neighbour ignorantly or unawares, whom he hated not in Time palt; or if he thrust him suddenly, without Enmity, or have cast upon him any Thing, without laying of wait, and fought not his Harm; he is not wor, thy of Death, inasmuch as he hated him not in Time past.
* If a Man finite his Servant, and he die under his Hand, he shall be surely punished.
Exod. 20. 13. P Prov. 17. 13.
9 Deut. 25. 16. Gen. 9. 5.
u Deut. 19. 11, 13, 1@. s Gen. 9. 6.
Dent. 19. 4.
Numb. 35. w Deut. 19 4.
Numb. 35. 15.
22, 23. Deut. 19. 6.
y If a Thief be found breakingup, and be smitten that he die, there shall no Blood be thed for him.
z Whofo killeth any Person, the Murderer sha'l be put to Death by the Mouth of Witnesses; but one Winess shall not testify against any Person, to cause him to die.
a Ye shall take no Satisfaction for the Life of a Murderer which is guilty of Death; but he shall be surely put to Death. For Blood it defileth the Land ; and the Land cannot be cleanfed of the Blood that is shed therein, but by the Blood of him that shed it.
W. unto them that shed the Blood of War in Peace; and that condemn and kill the Juft, and he doth not resist thein.
• The Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful Men; and they shall not live out half their Days.
d He that smiteth his Father or his Mu. ther, shall be surely put !o Death.
• If Men strive together, and one smite another, and he die not, but keepeth his Bed ; if he rise, again, and walk abroad upon his Staff, then Mall ħe that linote him be quit, only, he shall pay for the Loss of his Time, and thall cause him to be thoroughly healed.
f If Men strive, and any Mischief follow; then thou shalt give Eye for Lye, Tooth for Tooth, Hand for Hand, Foot for Foot, Wound for Wound, Stripe for Stripe.
y Exod. 22. 2.
a Numb. 35. 31, b
c Plal. 33. 1 Kings 2. 5. James 5. 6. John 16.2. 5.6. Pral, 55, 23
Exod. 21. 15.
e Exod. 21, 18, 19. f Exod. 21, 22, 23, 24, 25,
& If a Man cause a Blemish in his Neighbour; as he hath done, so fhall it be done unto him.
If Men ftrive and hurt a Woman with Child, so that her Fruit depart from her, and yet no Mischief follow; he ihall be furely punished according as the Woman's Husband lay upon him; and he thall pay as the Judges determine.
i Cursed be he that smiteth his Neighbour secretly.
* Thou shalt not commit Adultery. Adultery. 1 If a Man committeth Adultery with another Man's Wife, the Adulterer and the Adul"teress fhall surely be put to Death. " If any Man's Wife hath
aside to another, instead of her Husband, she shall be a Curse among her People.
Whoso committeth Adultery with a Woman, Jacketh Understanding ; he that doth it, destroyeth his own Soul. A Wound and Dishonour fhall he get; and his Reproach shall not be wiped away. For Jealousy is the Rage of a Man ; therefore he will not spare in the Day of Vengeance: He will not regard any Ransom; nei. ther will he rest content, though thou givest many Gifts.
. If a Damsel that is a Virgin, be be. Corrupting trothed unto a Husband, and a Man Virgins.
find her and lie with her, thcy shall both of them die.
& Lov. 24. 19.
Exod. 21. 22.
j Deut. 27. 24. * Exod. 20. 14.
1 Lev. 20. 10. Numb. s. 12, 20, 27.
Deut. 22. 23, 24. n Prov. 6. 32, 33, 34, 35.