« AnteriorContinuar »
:: We know that every Creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with Thanksgiving ; But we must add to our Know. ledge Temperance: and live soberly in this pres fent World; and'ufe this World as not abusing it.
* That every Man, to whom God hath given Riches and Wealth, should eat and drink, and enjoy the Good of all his Labour ; this is the Gift of God: But take heed 10 yourselves, left at any Time your Hearts be overcharged with Surfeiting and Drunkenness.
u When thou sitteit to eat, consider diligently what is before thee; and put a Knife to thy Throat, if thou be a Man given to Appetire : And be not defirous of Dainties; for they are deceitful Meat.
w Be not drunk with Wine, wherein is Excess; but be filled with the Spirit.
They that are drunken, are drunken in the Night; but let us who are of the Day be sober. Let us walk honestly, as in the Day: not in Rioting and Drunkenness: For Drunkenness, Revellings, and such like, are Works of the Flesh ; and they which do fuch Things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God; but Temperance is the Fruit of the Spirit.
$ Tim. 4. 4. 2 Pet. 1. 5, 6. Titus 2. 12.
1 Cor. 7. 31. ! Ecelef5. 19, 18, 19. Luke 21. 34.
u Prov. 23. 1, 20, 3: * Eph. 5., 18. * Them. Sony 8.
Rom. 13. 13:
Gal. 521, 19, 21, 23, 220
y Every Man that runneth a Race, and striveth for the Mastery, is temperate in all Things; that he may receive the Prize. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible Crown; but we an incorruptible.
z Wo unto you that are full; for ye shall hunger.
a He that loveth Pleasure, fhall be a poor Man: He that loveth Wine and Oil, shall not be rich.
• Look not thou upon the Wine when it is red, when it giveth his Colour in the Cup, when it moveth itself aright; at the last it biteth like a Serpent, and stingeth like an Adder.
• Wine is a Mocker; strong Drink is raging; and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wife.
d Wo unto them that are mighty to drink Wine, and Men, of Strength to mingle strong Drink; and rise up early in the Morning, that they may follow strong Drink : that continueth until Night, till Wine inflame them; that say, We will fill ourselves with strong. Drink ; and To-morrow shall be as this Day, and much more abundant.
Who hath Wo? Who hath Sorrow? Who bath Contentions? Who hath Babbling? Who hath Wounds without Cause? Who hath Redo ness of Eyes? They that tarry long at the Wine, they that go to seek mixed Wine.
They that count it Pleasure to riot in the Day-tiune, fhall receive the Reward of Unrighteousness.
z Luke 6. 25.
a Prov. y Cor. g. 24,25, 24, 25:
c Prov. 20. J..
d.Ifa. 23. 19. Prov..23. 31.
5. 22; Ifa. 36. 12.; c Prov. 23. 29, 300%
1 2 Pet. 2013
3 Be not anongst Wine-bibbers, amongstriotous Eaters of Flesh; and run not with them to the - same Excess of Riot: For the Drunkard and the Glutton shall come to Poverty, and Drowliness Thall clothe a Man with Rags.
* He that is a Companion of riotous Men fhameth his Father.
CHASTITY and MODESTY.
i This is the Will of God, even your Sanctification, that ye should abstain from Fornication, Uncleanness, inordinate Affection, Evil Concupiscence, Chambering, and Wantonness; that every
you should know how to potsess his Vefsel in Sanétification and Honour, not in the : Luft of Concupiscence, even as the Gentiles, which know not God. For God hath not called us into Uncleanness, but unto Holiness. * Flee also youthful Lusts.
Dearly beloved, I beseech you, as Strangers and Pilgrims, abstain from fleshly Lusts, which war against the Soul.
Keep thyself pure: For unto the pure all Things are pure; but unto them that are defiled nothing is pure, but even their Mind and their Conscience is defiled.
8 Proy. 23. 20.
1 Pet. 4. 4.
Prov. 23. 21. 21. 7.
i Theff. 4. 3. Col. 3. 5. Rom. 13. 13.
k 2 Tim. 2. 22. Ti Pet. 2. 11. 4. 4, 5, 7
Titus 1. 15.
h Proy. I Theil. m 1 Tim.
Walk nog as other Gentiles walk; who being past feeling, have given themselves over untu Lalciviousness, to work all Uncleanness with Greediness, and whom for this Cause God hath given up unto vile Affections, to dishonour their own Bodies between themselves; Men and Women working that which is unseemly, and against Nature.
• None of you shall approach unto any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their Nakedness; ye thall not commit any of those aboininable Cufioms, which were committed by the Nations which the Lord cait out of the Land of Canaan. For whosoever shall commit any of these Abominations, even the Souls that commit'them shall be cut off from among their People.
p There shall be no Whore of the Daughters of Israel ; nor a Sodomite of the Sons of Ifrael.
9 Flee Fornication for the that committeth Fornication, sinneth against his own Body, Now the Body is not for Fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the Body. i know
Know ye not that your bodies are the Members of Chrift? Shall I then take the Members of Christ, and make them the Members of an Harlot, God forbid.
• Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God; and that your Body is the Temple of the Holy
a Eph. 4. 17, 19.
Rom. 1. 26, 24, 25, 26.
P Deut. 23. 17. 18. 6, 26, 30, 24, 1, 29. 18, 13. * I Cor. 6. 15.
si Cor. 3. 16.
o 'Lev. 9 1 Cor. 6.
Ghost, which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own ? If any Man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy. For the Temple of God is holy, which Temple ye are.
* Keep thee from the evil Woman, from the Flattery of the Tongue of a strange Woman: Luft not after her Beauty in thine Heart, neither let her take thee with her Eyelids. Can a Man take fire in his Bosom, and his Clothes not be burnt ?
"Remove thy Way far from a strange Woman, and come not nigh the Door of her House ; left thou give thine Honour unto others ; left Strangers be filled with thy Wealth ; and thou mourn at the last, when thy Flesh and thy Body are confumed, and say, How have I hated Instruction, and despised Reproof?
» Let not thine Heart decline to her Ways; for her House is the Way to Hell, Thou goest after her as an Ox goeth to the Slaughter, till a Dart strike through thy Liver; as a Bird hasteth to the Snare, and knoweth not that it is for his Life.
* If mine Heart hath been deceived by a Woman, or if I have laid wait at my Neighbour's Door ; ihis is an heinous Crime ; yea, it is an Iniquity to be punished by the Judges, For it is a Fire that consumeth 'to Deftruction, and would root out all my Increase.
y Whosoever looketh on a Woman lö luft after her, hath committed Adultery with her already in bis Heart...
1 Cor. 6. 19.
i Cor. 3. 17 Prov. g. 8,3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. 23. * Job 31. 9, il, 12.
i Prov. 6. 24, 25, 27,
hogy Prov. 7. 25, 27, 22, * Mat. 5. 28