« AnteriorContinuar »
again break thy Commandments? And whereas we have offended against the Lord already, should we add more to our Sins and to our Trespalles ?
* Hear ye the Word of the Lord, and fear, and do no more presumptuoully, Depart from Evil, and do Good, and dwell for evermore.
REPENTANCE towards MEN.
y If thou bring thy Gift to the Altar, and there rememberelt that thy Brother haih ought againct thee ; leave there thy Gift before the Altar, and go thy Way; first be, reconciled to thy Brother, and then come and offer thy Gift, z Whover has wronged bis Brother in
Reftitutics. any 7 hing, according to his Substance thall the Restitution be, and he thall not sejuice therein,
* If I liave taken any Thing from any Man by false Accusation, I restore him four-fold. )
1 If the Wicked restore the Pledge, give again that he hath robbed; walk in the Statutes of Life, without committing iniquity'; he shall furely live, he shall not die.
* Deut. 17. 13. Pfal. 37. 27.
y Mat. 56 23, 24, 3 Job a Luke 19.8.
bEzek. 33. 15.
Concerning REW:1RDS and PUNISH
"HERE be inany that say, Who will shew
118 any Good O fear the Lord: For they that fear hiin shall not want any good Thing,
• What Man is he that defireth Life, and loveth many Days, that'be may fee Good ? Depart from Evil, and do Good; seek Peace, and pursue it.
• Hearken not unto the Words of them that say unto every one that walketh after the Imagination of his own Heart, No Evil thall come upon you.
Lo this, we have searched it, so it is ; hear it, and know thon it for thy Good, The Hand of God is upon all them for Good that feek hiin; but his Power and his Wrath is against all them that forsake him.
* And God will punish the Men that say in their Heart, The Lord will not do Good, neiiher will he do Evil.
f I was envious at the Foolish, when I saw the Prosperity of the Wicked. They are not in Trou.
a Pfal. 4. 6. Psal.
Jer. 23. 16, 17. d a job 5. 27. Ezra 8. 22. 112
b Pral. 34. 12, 14,
f Pral. 73. j5:
ble as other Men; neither are they plagued like piher Men. Behold, these are they who prosper in the Worlili;, they increase in Riches, yea, are mighty in Power. Verily, I have cleansed my Heart'in vain, and washed mine Hands in Innocency. So foolish was I and ignorant, until I went into the Sanctnary of God; then understood I their End, how are they brought into Dełolation, as in a Moment! They are utterly consumed with Terrors.
8 A brurish Man knoweth not, neither doth a Fool understand this: When the Wicked spring as the Grass, and when all the Workers of Iniquity.do flourish, it is that they shall be destroyed for ever.
h These are the Men of the World, which have their Portion in this Life; and have no Inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God.
The Wicked say unto God, Depart from us; for we delire not the Knowledge of thy Ways. What is the Almighty, that we thould serve him? And what Profit ihould we have if we pray unio him? Surely it is vain to serve God; and it profiteth a Man nothing that he should delight hiinfelf with God.
They have said alfs, that all Things come alike to all; there is one Event to the Righteous and to the Wicked, to the Good, and to the Clean, and to the Unclean : As is the Good, so is the Sinner, and he that sweareth as he that feareth an Oath. Let us therefore eat and drink, for To-morrow we-die.
h Pfal. 17.17
Pfal. 73.50312. Job 21. 3. .Pfal. 73. 13, 22, 17, 19. g Pial. 92. 6, 7.
Eph. 5. 5. Job, 2 1: 7, 14, 15. Mal. 3:14. Job 34. G.
ķ Eccief. 2. 2. 1 Cor. 15. 32
1 Thus doth their Heart carry them away, and they turn their Spirit against God: For they be. liere not that they thall return out of Darkness.
= Let no! hin that is deceived trust in Vanity; for Vaniiy thall be his Recompence.
- A Book of Remembrance is written before the Lord, for them that fear him, and that think upon his Nane: And they fall be mine, (faita the Lord of Hoits, in the Day when I make up my Jewels; and I will spare them, as a Man spar<th his own Son that serveih him. Then 1hall ye seturn, and discern between the Righteous and the Wicked; between him that serveih God, and hiin that serveth him out.
• Wo unto them that lay, Let him make Speed and hasten his work, that we may fee ii ; and let the Counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it. For the Day of their Calamity is at hand, and the Things shat shall come upon ihem make halle.
p Behold, saith the Lord, I come quickly, and my Reward is with me, to give every Man according as his Work thall be.
REWARDS to the RIGHTEOUS,
Godlincis is profitable unto all Things; have ing Promise of the Life that now is, and of that which is to come.
Job 15. 12, 13, 22. m Job 15. 31:
o Ifa. 5. 28, 19. Deut. 32. 350. Tim. 4 8
n Malo g. 16, P Rev. 22. 12.
: The Lord will render to every Man his Righteousness and his Faithfulness. He will recompense his Work; and a full Reward shall be given him of the Lord,
$ The Lord will give Grace and Glory; and no good Thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
* All Things work together for Good to them that love God.
u Be ye strong therefore, for your Work shall be rewarded. And be careful to maintain good Works; for these Things are good and profitable unto Men.
Thou, O God, wilt keep him in perfect Peace, whose Mind is stayed on thee. Thou wilt blefs him indeed, and keep him from Evil, that it may not grieve hiin.
* The Way of the Lord is Strength to the Upriglit. They shall dwell safely, and be quiet from fear of Evil. They thall not be ashamed in the evil Time.
y Great Peace have they, O Lord, which love thy Law; and nothing shall offend them.
2 The Fear of the Lord tendeth to Life; and he that hath it shall abide fatisfied: He Thall not be visited with Evil. a And who is he that will harm
be Followers of that which is good ?
b Many are the Afflictions of the Righteous; but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.
s Pral. 84. 11. Job 33. 26. i Sam. 26. 23. Ruth 2. 12.
'Titus g. u 2 Chron. 15.7.
w lsa. 26. 3. * Rom. 8. 28.
1 Prov. J. 33.
Pfal. 37. i Chron. 4. 10.
* Prov. 10. 29: y Pfal. 119. 165:
z Prov. 19.23 3. 13 b Plal. 34. 19.
2 ; Pet.