« AnteriorContinuar »
8. He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, || all that his sons did unto all Israel ; and how and lifteth up the beggar from the dung-bill, they lay with the women that assembled at to set them among princes, and to make the door of the tabernacle of the congregathem inherit the throne of glory: for the pil- tion. lars of the earth are the LORD's, and he 23. And he said unto them, Why do ye hath set the world
such things ? for I hear of your evil dealings 9. He will keep the feet of his saints, and by all this people. the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for 24. Nay, my sons: for it is no good report by strength shall no man prevail.
that I hear; ye make the LORD's people to 10. The adversaries of the Lord shall be transgress. broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thun- 25. If one man sin against another, the
them: the LORD shall judge the ends judge shall judge him: but if a man sin of the earth; and he shall give strength unto against the LORD, who shall entreat for his King, and exalt the horn of bis Anointed. him ? Notwithstanding, they hearkened not
11. | And Elkanah went to Ramah to unto the voice of their father, because the his house; and the child did minister unto LORD would slay them. the LORD before Eli the priest.
26. (And the child Samuel grew on, and 12. 1 Now the sons of Eli were sons of was in favour both with the LORD, and also Belial; they knew not the LORD.
with men.) 13. And the priest's custom with the peo- 27. And there came a man of God unto Eli, ple was, that, when any man offered sacri- and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Did fice, the priest's servant came, while the I plainly appear unto the house of thy father, flesh was in seething, with a flesh-hook of when they were in Egypt in Pharaoh's house! three teeth in his hand ;
28. And did I choose him out of all the 14. And he struck it into the pan, or tribes of Israel to be my priest, to offer upon kettle, or caldron, or pot; all that the flesh- mine altar, to burn incense, to wear an hook brought up the priest took for himself. ephod before me? and did I give unto the So they did in Shiloh unto all the Israelites house of thy father all the offerings made that came thither.
by fire of the children of Israel? 15. Also before they burnt the fat, the 29. Wherefore kick ye at my sacrifice and priest's servant came, and said to the man at mine offering, which I have commanded in that sacrificed, Give flesh to roast for the my habitation, and honourest thy sons above priest; for he will not have sodden flesh of me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest thee, but raw.
of all the offerings of Israel my people ? 16. And if any man said unto him, Let 30. Wherefore the LORD God of Israel them not fail to burn the fat presently, and saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the then take as much as thy soul desireth; then house of thy father, should walk before me he would answer him, Nay; but thou shalt for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far give it me now: and if not, I will take it by from me; for them that honour me I will force.
honour, and they that despise me shall be 17. Wherefore the sin of the young men lightly esteemed. was very great before the LORD; for men 31. Behold, the days come that I will cut abhorred the offering of the LORD. off thine arm, and the arm of thy father's
18. 1 But Samuel ministered before the house, that there shall not be an old man in Lord, being a child, girded with a linen thine house. ephod.
32. And thou shalt see an enemy in my 19. Moreover, his mother made him a lit- habitation, in all the wealth which God shall tle coat, and brought it to him from year to give Israel: and there shall not be an old year, when she came up with her husband man in thine house for ever. to offer the yearly sacrifice.
33. And the man of thine, whom I shall 20. And Eli blessed Elkanah and his not cut off from mine altar, shall be to conwife, and said, The Lord give thee seed sume thine eyes, and to grieve thine heart: of this woman, for the loan which is lent to and all the increase of thine house shall die the LORD. And they went unto their own in the flower of their age. hoine.
34. And this shall be a sign unto thee, 21. And the LORD visited Hannah, so that shall come upon thy iwo sons, ori that she conceived, and bare three sons and Hophni and Phinehas: in one day they two daughters. And the child Samuel grew shall die both of them. before the LORD.
35. And I will raise me up a faithful 22. 1 Now Eli was very old, and heard Il priest, that shall do according to that which
is in my heart, and in my mind : and I will || house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house build him a sure house; and he shall walk shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offerbefore mine Anointed for ever.
ing for ever. 36. And it shall come to pass, that every 15. 9 And Samuel lay until the morning,and one that is left in thine house shall come opened the doors of the house of the LORD: and crouch to him for a piece of silver and and Samuel feared to show Eli the vision. a morsel of bread, and shall say, Put me, I 16. Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Sapray thee, into one of the priest's offices, that muel, my son. And he answered, Here am I. I may eat a piece of bread.
17. And he said, What is the thing that CHAP. III. the LORD hath said unto thee? 1
pray How the word of the Lord was first revealed to Samuel. thee hide it not from me: God do so to thee, 1. ND the child Samuel ministered unto and more also, if thou hide any thing from
the LORD before Eli. And the word me of all the things that he said unto thee. of the LORD was precious in those days; 18. And Samuel told him every whit, and there was no open vision.
hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the 2. And it came to pass at that time, when LORD: let him do what seemeth him good. Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes 19. 1 And Samuel grew, and the LORD began to wax dim, that he could not see; was with him, and did let none of his words
3. And ere the lamp of God went out in fall to the ground. the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God 20. And all Israel, from Dan even to was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep; Beer-sheba, knew that Samuel was estab
4. That the LORD called Samuel: and lished to be a prophet of the LORD. he answered, Here am I.
21. And the Lord appeared again in 5. And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here Shiloh: for the Lord revealed himself to am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the Lord. called not ; lie down again. And he went
CHAP. IV. and lay down.
The Israelites are overcome by the Philistines at Eben-ezer. 6. And the LORD called yet again, Sa- 1. muel. And Samuel arose, and went to
Israel. Now Israel went out against Eli
, and said, Here am I; for thou didst the Philistines to battle, and pitched beside call me. And he answered, I called not, || Eben-ezer; and the Philistines pitched in my son; lie down again.
Aphek. 7. Now Samuel did not yet know the 2. And the Philistines put themselves in LORD, neither was the word of the LORD array against Israel: and when they joined yet revealed unto him.
battle, Israel was smilten before the Phi8. And the LORD called Samuel again | listines; and they slew of the army in the the third time. And he arose, and went field about four thousand men. to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst 3. And when the people were come into
And Eli perceived that the LORD the camp, the elders of Israel said, Wherehad called the child.
fore hath the LORD smitten us to-day before 9. Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, the Philistines ? Let us fetch the ark of the lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, covenant of the LORD Out of Shiloh unto us, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy that, when it cometh among us, it may save servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay us out of the hand of our enemies. down in his place.
4. So the people sent to Shiloh, that they 10. And the LORD came, and stood, and might bring from thence the ark of the cocalled as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. venant of the Lord of hosts, which dwellThen Samuel answered, Speak; for thy eth between the cherubims: and the two servant heareth.
sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were 11. And the LORDsaid to Samuel, Behold, there with the ark of the covenant of God. I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the 5. And when the ark of the covenant of the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle. Lord came into the camp, all Israel shouted
12. In that day I will perform against Eli with a greatshout, so that the earth rang again, all things which I have spoken concerning his 6. And when the Philistines heard the house: when I begin, I will also make an end.noise of the shout, they said, What meaneth
13. For I have told him, that I will judge the noise of this great shoạt in the camp of his house for ever, for the iniquity which he the Hebrews? And they understood that the knoweth; because his sons made themselves ark of the Lord was come into the camp. vile, and he restrained them not.
7. And the Philistines were afraid ; for 14. And therefore I have sworn unto the ll they said, God is come into the camp. And
they said, Wo unto us! for there hath not || (because the ark of God was taken, and bebeen such a thing heretofore.
cause of her father-in-law and her husband :) 8. Wo unto us! who shall deliver us 22. And she said, The glory is departed out of the hand of these mighty Gods ? these from Israel; for the ark of God is taken. are the Gods that smote the Egyptians with
CHAP. V. all the plagues in the wilderness.
The ark is brought into Ashdod, and set in the house of Dagon. 9. Be strong, and quit yourselves like 1. ND the Philistines took the ark of men, Oye Philistines, that ye be not ser- God, and brought it from Ebenvants unto the Hebrews, as they have been ezer unto Ashdod. to you: quit yourselves like men, and fight. 2. When the Philistines took the ark of
io. And the Philistines fought; and Israel God, they brought it into the house of Dawas smitten, and they fled every man into his gon, and set it by Dagon. tent: and there was a very great slaughter; for 3. And when they of Ashdod arose early there fell of Israel thirty thousand footmen. on the morrow, behold, Dagon was fallen
11. And the ark of God was taken; and upon his face to the earth before the ark of the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the LORD. And they took Dagon, and set were slain.
him in his place again. 12. And there ran a man of Benjamin 4. And when they arose early on the out of the army, and came to Shiloh the morrow morning, behold, Dagon was fallen same day, with his clothes rent, and with upon his face to the ground before the ark earth upon his head.
of the LORD; and the head of Dagon and 13. And when he came, lo, Eli sat upon both the palms of his hands were cut off a seat by the wayside, watching : for his upon the threshold ; only the stump of Dagon heart trembled for the ark of God. And was left to him. when the man came into the city, and told 5. Therefore neither the priests of Dagon, it, all the city cried out.
nor any that come into Dagon's house, 14. And when Eli heard the noise of the tread on the threshold of Dagon in Ashdod crying, he said, What meaneth the noise of unto this day. this tumult? And the man came in has- 6. But the hand of the LORD was heavy tily, and told Eli.
upon them of Ashdod; and he destroyed 15. Now Eli was ninety and eight yearsold; them, and smote them with emerods, even and his eyes were diin, that he could not see. Ashdod, and the coasts thereof.
16. And the man said unto Eli, I am he 7. And when the men of Ashdod saw that that came out of the army, and I fled to- it was so, they said, The ark of the God of day out of the army. And he said, What Israel shall not abide with us: for his hand is there done, my son?
is sore upon us, and upon Dagon our god. 17. And the messenger answered and 8. They sent, therefore, and gathered all said, Israel is fled before the Philistines; the lords of the Philistines unto them, and and there hath been also a great slaughter said, What shall we do with the ark of the among the people; and thy two sons also, God of Israel ? And they answered, Let Hophni and Phinehas, are dead; and the the ark of the God of Israel be carried ark of God is taken.
about unto Gath. And they carried the 18. And it came to pass, when he made ark of the God of Israel about thither. mention of the ark of God, that he fell from 9. And it was so, that, after they had caroff the seat backward, by the side of the ried it about, the hand of the LORD was gate; and his neck brake, and he died; for against the city with a very great destruche was an old man, and heavy: and he had tion: and he smote the men of the city, judged Israel forty years.
both small and great, and they had emerods 19. And his daughter-in-law, Phinehas' in their secret parts. wife, was with child, near to be delivered: and 10. Therefore they sent the ark of God to when she heard the tidings, that the ark of Ekron. And it came to pass, as the ark of God was taken, and that her father-in-law God came to Ekron, that the Ekronites and her husband were dead, she bowed her- cried out, saying, They have brought about self and travailed; forher pains came upon her. the ark of the God of Israel to us, to slay
20. And about the time of her death, the us and our people. women that stood by her said unto her, 11. So they sent and gathered together Fear not, for thou hast borne a son. But all the lords of the Philistines, and said, she answered not, neither did she regard it. Send away the ark of the God of Israel,
21. And she named the child I-chabod, and let it go again to his own place, that it saying, The glory is departed from Israel : Il slay us not, and our people: for there was
a deadly destruction throughout all the city ; || left; and the lords of the Philistines went the hand of God was very heavy there. after them unto the border of Beth-shemesh.
12. And the men that died not were 13. And they of Beth-shemesh were reapsmitten with the emerods: and the cry of ing their wheat-harvest in the valley: and the city went up to heaven.
they lifted up their eyes, and saw the ark, CHAP. VI.
and rejoiced to see it. The Philistines take counsel how to send back the ark. 14. And the cart came into the field of 1.
country of the Philistines seven where there was a great stone: and they months.
clave the wood of the cart, and offered the 2. And the Philistines called for the kine a burnt-offering unto the LORD. priests and the diviners, saying, What shall 15. And the Levites took down the ark of we do to the ark of the LORD ? tell us the LORD, and the coffer that was with it, wherewith we shall send it to his place. wherein the jewels of gold were, and put
3. And they said, If ye send away the ark them on the great stone: and the men of Bethof the God of Israel, send it not empty; but shemesh offered burnt-offerings, and sacriin any wise return him a trespass-offering : ficed sacrifices, the same day unto the LORD. then ye shall be healed, and it shall be known 16. And when the five lords of the Phito you why his hand is not removed from you. listines had seen it, they returned to Ekron
4. Then said they, What shall be the the same day. trespass-offering which we shall return to 17. And these are the golden emerods him? They answered, Five golden eme- which the Philistines returned for a tresrods, and five golden mice, according to the pass-offering unto the LORD; for Ashdod number of the lords of the Philistines: for one one, for Gaza one, for Askelon one, for plague was on you all, and on your lords. Gath one,
for Ekron one: 5. Wherefore ye shall make images of 18. And the golden mice, according to the your emerods, and images of your mice that number of all the cities of the Philistines bemar the land; and ye shall give glory unto longing to the five lords, both of fenced cities the God of Israel, peradventure he will and of country villages, even unto the great lighten his hand from off you, and from off stone of Abel, whereon they set down the ark your gods, and from off your land. .
of the LORD; which stone remaineth unto this 6. Wherefore then do ye harden your day in the field of Joshua the Beth-shemite. hearts, as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hard- 19. And he smote the men of Beth-shemesh, ened their hearts? When he had wrought because they had looked into the ark of the wonderfully among them, did they not let LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thouthe people go, and they departed ?
sand and threescore and ten men. And the 7. Now therefore make a new cart, and people lamented, because the LORD had smittake two milch kine on which there hath ten many of the people with a great slaughter. come no yoke, and tie the kine to the cart, 20. And the men of Beth-shemesh said, and bring their calves home from them: Who is able to stand before this holy LORD
8. And take the ark of the LORD, and God? and to whom shall he go up from us? lay it upon the cart: and put the jewels of 21. And they sent messengers to the ingold, which ye return him for a trespass- habitants of Kirjath-jearim, saying, The offering, in a coffer by the side thereof; and Philistines have brought again the ark of the send it away, that it may go.
LORD; come ye down, and fetch it up to you. 9. And see, if it goeth up by the way of
CHAP. VII. his own coast to Beth-shemesh, then he hath
They of Kirjath-jearim bring the ark into the house of done us this great evil : but if not, then we
Abinadab, to keep it. shall know that it is not bis hand that smote 1. us; it was a chance that happened to us.
and fetched up the ark of the LORD, 10. And the men did so; and took two and brought it into the house of Abinadab, milch kine, and tied them to the cart, and in the hill, and sanctified Eleazar his son to shut up their calves at home.
keep the ark of the Lord. 11. And they laid the ark of the LORD 2. And it came to pass, while the ark upon the cart, and the coffer with the mice abode in Kirjath-jearim, that the time was of gold and the images of their emerods. long; for it was twenty years: and all the
12. And the kine took the straight way house of Israel lamented after the LORD. to the way of Beth-shemesh, and went along 3. | And Samuel spake unto all the house the highway, lowing as they went, and of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the turned not aside to the right hand or to the LORD with all your hearts, then put away
the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among
CHAP. VIII. and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, By occasion of the ill government of Samuels sons, the and serve him only; and he will deliver you
Israelites ask a king. out of the hand of the Philistines.
1. ND it came to pass, when Samuel 4.' Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served judges over Israel. the LORD only.
2. Now the name of his first-born was : 5. And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Joel, and the name of his second Abiah: Mizpeh, and I will pray for you unto the they were judges in Beer-sheba. LORD.
3. And his sons walked not in his ways, 6. And they gathered together to Mizpeh, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and drew water, and poured it out before the and perverted judgment. LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, 4. Then all the elders of Israel gathered We have sinned against the LORD. And Sa-themselves together, and came to Samuel muel judged the children of Israel in Mizpeh. unto Ramah,
7. And when the Philistines heard that 5. And said unto him, Behold, thou art the children of Israel were gathered together old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now to Mizpeh, the lords of the Philistines went make us a king to judge us like all the nations. up against Israel. And when the children 6. But the thing displeased Samuel, when of Israel heard it, they were afraid of the they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Philistines.
Samuel prayed unto the LORD. 8. And the children of Israel said to Sa- 7. And the LORD said unto Samuel, muel, Cease not to cry unto the LORD our Hearken unto the voice of the people in God for us, that he will save us out of the all that they say unto thee: for they have hand of the Philistines.
not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, 9. And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and that I should not reign over them. offered it for a burnt-offering wholly unto 8. According to all the works which they the Lord: and Samuel cried unto the LORD have done, since the day that I brought for Israel ; and the Lord heard him. them up out of Egypt even unto this day,
10. And as Samuel was offering up the wherewith they have forsaken me, and seryburnt-offering, the Philistines drew near to ed other gods, so do they also unto thee. battle against Israel: but the LORD thun- 9. Now, therefore, hearken unto their dered with a great thunder on that day voice: 'howbeit yet protest solemnly unto upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; them, and show them the manner of the and they were smitten before Israel. king that shall reign over them.
11. And the men of Israel went out of 10. And Samuel told all the words of the Mizpeh, and pursued the Philistines, and | LORD unto the people that askedof him a king. smote them, until they came under Beth-car. 11. And he said, This will be the manner
12. Then Samuel took a stone, and set of the king that shall reign over you; He it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called I will take your sons, and appoint them for the name of it Eben-ezer, saying, Hitherto himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsehath the Lord helped us.
men; and some shall run before his chariots. 13. So the Philistines were subdued, and 12. And he will appoint him captains they came no more into the coast of Israel, over thousands, and captains over fifties, and the hand of the Lord was against the and will set them to ear his ground, and to Philistines all the days of Samuel.
reap his harvest, and to make his instruments 14. And the cities which the Philistines of war, and instruments of his chariots. had taken from Israel were restored to Is- 13. And he will take your daughters to • rael, from Ekron even unto Gath; and the be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be coasts thereof did Israel deliver out of the bakers. hands of the Philistines. And there was 14. And he will take your fields, and your peace between Israel and the Amorites. vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best
15. And Samuel judged Israel all the of them, and give them to his servants. days of his life.
15. And he will take the tenth of your 16. And he went from year to year in seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his circuit to Beth-el, and Gilgal, and Mizpeh, officers, and to his servants. and judged Israel in all those places.
16. And he will take your men-servants, 17. And his return was to Ramah; for there and your maid-servants, and your goodliest was his house: and there he judged Israel ; young men, and your asses, and put them and there he built an altar unto the LORD. to his work.