« AnteriorContinuar »
2. Until the day in which he was taken | must needs have been fulfilled, which the up, after that he through the Holy Ghost || Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spako had given commandments unto the apostles before concerning Judas, which was guide whom he had chosen :
to them that took Jesus. 3. To whom also he shewed himself 17. For he was numbered with us, and alive after his passion by many infallible had obtained part of this ministry, proofs, being seen of them forty days, and 18. Now this man purchased a field with speaking of the things pertaining to the the reward of iniquity; and falling headkingdom of God:
long, he burst asunder in the midst, and 4. And, being assembled together with all his bowels gushed out. them, commanded them that they should 19. And it was known unto all the dwellnot depart from Jerusalem, but wait for i ers at Jerusalem ; insomuch as that field is the promise of the Father, which, saith he, called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, ye have heard of me.
that is to say, The field of blood. 5. For John truly baptized with water; 20. For it is written in the book of but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and Ghost not many days hence.
let no man dwell therein: and his bishopric 6. When they therefore were come to- let another take. gether, they asked of him, saying, Lord, 21. Wherefore of these men which have wilt thou at this time restore again the companied with us all the time that the kingdom to Israel ?
Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 7. And he said unto them, It is not for 22. Beginning from the baptism of John, you to know the times or the seasons, unto that same day that he was taken up which the Father hath put in his own from us, must one be ordained to be a witpower.
ness with us of his resurrection. 8. But ye shall receive power, after that 23. And they appointed two, Joseph the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and called Barsabas, who was surnamed Jusye shall be witnesses unto me both in Je- tus, and Matthias. rusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, 24. And they prayed; and said, Thou, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men,
9. And when he had spoken these things, shew whether of these two thou hast chowhile they beheld, he was taken up; and sen, a cloud received him out of their sight. 25. That he may take part of this minis
10. And while they looked stedfastly to-try and apostleship, from which Judas by ward heaven, as he went up, behold, two transgression fell, that he might go to his men stood by them in white apparel ; own place.
11. Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, 26. And they gave forth their lots; and why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was same Jesus, which is taken up from you numbered with the eleven apostles. into heaven, shall so come in like manner
CHAP. II. as ye have seen him go into heaven.
1 The apostles, filled with the Holy Ghost, speak divers 12. Then returned they unto Jerusalem
languages. 14 Peter's sermon. from the mount called Olivet, which is from 1. Jerusalem a sabbath-day's journey.
fully come, they were all with one 13. And when they were come in, they | accord in one place. went up into an upper-room, where abode 2. And suddenly there came a sound both Peter, and James, and John, and An-| from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, drew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and it filled all the house where they were and Matthew, James the son of Alpheus, || sitting. and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother 3. And there appeared unto them cloven of James.
tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each 14. These all continued with one accord of them. in prayer and supplication, with the wo- 4. And they were all filled with the Holy men, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and Ghost, and began to speak with other with his brethren.
tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 15. And in those days Peter stood up in 5. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem the midst of the disciples, and said, (the Jews, devout men, out of every nation unnumber of the names together were about der heaven. an hundred and twenty,)
6. Now when this was noised abroad, 16. Men and brethren, This scripture the multitude came together, and were
confounded, because that every man heard 24. Whom God hath raised up, having them speak in his own language.
loosed the pains of death: because it was 7. And they were all amazed, and mar- not possible that he should be holden of velled, saying one to another, Behold, are it. not all these which speak, Galileans? 25. For David speaketh concerning him,
8. And how hear we every man in our I foresaw the Lord always before my own tongue, wherein we were born ? face, for he is on my right hand, that I
9. Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, should not be moved : and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in 26. Therefore did my heart rejoice, and Judea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my Asia,
flesh shall rest in hope: 10. Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, 27. Because thou wilt not leave my soul and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thy Holy and strangers of Rome, Jews and prose- One to see corruption. Tytes,
28. Thou hasi made known to me the 11. Cretes and Arabians, we do hear ways of life; thou shalt make me full of them speak in our tongues the wonderful joy with thy countenance. works of God.
29. Men and brethren, let me freely 12. And they were all amazed, and were speak unto you of the patriarch David, in doubt, saying one to another, What that he is both dead and buried, and his semeaneth this?
pulchre is with us unto this day. 13. Others mocking said, These men are 30. Therefore, being a prophet, and knowfull of new wine.
ing that God had sworn with an oath to 14. But Peter, standing up with the him, that of the fruit of his loins, according eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit them, Ye men of Judea, and all ye that on his throne; dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto 31. He seeing this before, spake of the you, and hearken to my words:
resurrection of Christ, that his soul was 15. For these are not drunken, as ye not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corsuppose, seeing it is but the third hour of ruption. the day.
32. This Jesus hath God raised up, 16. But this is that which was spoken by whereof we all are witnesses. the prophet Joel ;
33. Therefore, being by the right hand 17. And it shall come to pass in the last of God exalted, and having received of days, (saith God,)I will pour out of my Spi- the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, rit upon all flesh: and your sons and your he hath shed forth this, which ye now see daughters shall prophesy, and your young and hear. men shall see visions, and your
34. For David is not ascended into the shall dream dreams :
heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD 18. And on my servants and on my hand said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right maidens I will pour out, in those days, of hand, my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
35. Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 19. And I will shew wonders in heaven 36. Therefore let all the house of Israel above, and signs in the earth beneath; know assuredly, that God hath made that blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both
20. The sun shall be turned into dark-Lord and Christ. ness, and the moon into blood, before that 37. Now when they heard this, they great and notable day of the Lord come: were pricked in their heart, and said unto
21. And it shall come to pass, that who- Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men soever shall call on the name of the Lord and brethren, what shall we do? shall be saved.
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, 22. Ye men of Israel, hear these words: and be baptized every one of you in the Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of among you by miracles, and wonders, and sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the signs, which God did by him in the midst Holy Ghost. of you, as ye yourselves also know:
39. For the promise is unto you, and to 23. Him, being delivered by the deter- | your children, and to all that are afar off, minate counsel and foreknowledge of God, || even as many as the Lord our God shall ye have taken, and by wicked hands have call. crucified and slain :
40. And with inany other words did he
testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves || ran together unto them, in the porch that is from this untoward generation.
called Solomon's, greatly wondering. 41. Then they that gladly received his 12. And when Peter saw it, he answered word were baptized: and the same day unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why there were added unto them about three marvel ye at this ? Or why look ye so earthousand souls.
nestly on us, as though by our own power 42. And they continued steadfastly in or holiness we had made this man to walk ? the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and 13. The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, in breaking of bread, and in prayers. and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath
43. And fear came upon every soul : and glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered many wonders and signs were done by the up, and denied him in the presence of Piapostles.
late, when he was determined to let him
go. 44. And all that believed were together, 14. But ye denied the Holy One and the and had all things common;
Just, and desired a murderer to be granted 45. And sold their possessions and goods, unto you; and parted them to all men, as every man
15. And killed the Prince of life, whom had need.
God hath raised from the dead; whereof. 46. And they, continuing daily with one we are witnesses. accord in the temple, and breaking bread 16. And his name, through faith in his from house to house, did eat their meat name, hath made this man strong, whom with gladness and singleness of heart, ye see and know: yea, the faith which is
47. Praising God, and having favour with by him hath given him this perfect soundall the people. And the Lord added to ness in the presence of you all. the church daily such as should be saved. 17. And now, brethren, I wot that CHAP. III.
through ignorance ye did it, as did also your Peter preachelh to the people that came to see a lame man rulers. restored io his feel, &c.
18. But those things, which God before 1. VOW Peter and John went up toge had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets,
ther into the temple at the hour of that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. prayer, being the ninth hour.
19. Repent ye, therefore, and be con2. And a certain man, lame from his mo- verted, that your sins may be blotted out, ther's womb, was carried, whom they laid when the times of refreshing shall come at of from the presence
of the Lord ; called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that 20. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which entered into the temple;
before was preached unto you: 3. Who seeing Peter and John about 21. Whom the heaven must receive unto go into the temple, asked an alms. til the times of restitution of all things,
4. And Peter, fastening bis eyes upon which God hath spoken by the mouth of him, with John, said, Look on us. all his holy prophets since the world began.
5. And he gave heed unto them, expect- 22. For Moses truly said unto the faing to receive something of them.
thers, A prophet shall the Lord your God 6. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have raise up unto you of your brethren, like I none; but such as I have give I thee: In unto me; him shall ye hear in all things the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise whatsoever he shall say unto you. up and walk.
23. And it shall come to pass,
every 7. And he took him by the right hand soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall and lifted him up: and immediately his feet be destroyed from among the people. and ankle-bones received strength.
24. Yea, and all the prophets from Sa8. And he, leaping up, stood, and walk-muel, and those that follow after, as many ed, and entered with them into the temple, as have spoken, have likewise foretold of walking, and leaping, and praising God. these days.
9. And all the people saw him walking 25. Ye are the children of the prophets, and praising God.
and of the covenant which God made with 10. And they knew that it was he which our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth temple: and they were filled with wonder be blessed. and amazement at that which had happen- 26. Unto you first, God having raised up ed unto him.
his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in 11. And as the lame man which was turning away every one of you from his ini. liealed held Peter and John, all the people ll quitics.
17. But that it spread no further among 1 Peler and John are imprisoned. 8 Peter's boldness : the people, let us straitly threaten them, 18 lhe apostles are threatened.
that they speak henceforth to no man in 1. A Nibeastibosy spade henta the people this name:
18. And they called them, and command. temple, and the Sadducees, came uponed them not to speak at all nor teach in them,
the name of Jesus. 2. Being grieved that they taught the 19. But Peter and John answered and people, and preached through Jesus the re- said unto them, Whether it be right in the surrection from the dead.
sight of God to hearken unto you more 3. And they laid hands on them, and put than unto God, judge ye. them in hold unto the next day: for it was 20. For we cannot but speak the things now eventide.
which we have seen and heard. 4. Howbeit many of them which heard 21. So when they had further threatenthe word believed ; and the number of the ed them, they let them go, finding nothing men was about five thousand.
how they might punish them, because of 5. And it came to pass on the morrow, the people: for all men glorified God for that their rulers, and elders, and scribes, that which was done.
6. And Annas the High-Priest, and Caia- 22. For the man was above forty years phas, and John, and Alexander, and as old, on whom this miracle of healing was many as were of the kindred of the High- shewed. Priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. 23. And being let go, they went to their • 7. And when they had set them in the own company, and reported all that the midst, they asked, By what power, or by chief priests and elders had said unto them. what name, have ye done this?
24. And when they heard that, they lift8. Then Peter, filled with the Holy ed up their voice to God with one accord, Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast people, and elders of Israel,
made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and 9. If we this day be examined of the all that in them is: good deed done to the impotent man, by 25. Who by the mouth of thy servant what means he is made whole ;
David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, 10. Be it known unto you all, and to all and the people imagine vain things? the people of Israel, that by the name of 26. The kings of the earth stood up, and Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye cru- the rulers were gathered together against cified, whom God raised from the dead, the Lord, and against his Christ. even by him doth this man stand here be- 27. For of a truth against thy holy child fore you whole.
Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both He11. This is the stone which was set at rod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, nought of you builders, which is become and the people of Israel, were gathered tothe head of the corner.
gether, 12. Neither is there salvation in any 28. For to do whatsoever thy hand and other: for there is none other name under thy counsel determined before to be done. heaven given among men whereby we 29. And now, Lord, behold their threatmust be saved.
enings: and grant unto thy servants, that 13. Now when they saw the boldness with all boldness they may speak thy word, of Peter and John, and perceived that 30. By stretching forth thy hand to heal; they were unlearned and ignorant men, and that signs and wonders may be done they marvelled; and they took knowledge by the name of thy holy child Jesus. of them, that they had been with Jesus. 31. And when they had prayed, the
14. And beholding the man which was place was shaken where they were assemhealed standing with them, they could say | bled together; and they were all filled with nothing against it.
the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word 15. But when they had commanded of God with boldness. them to go aside out of the council, they 32. And the multitude of them that beconferred among themselves,
lieved were of one heart and of one soul: 16. Saying, What shall we do to these neither said any of them that aught of the men ? for that indeed a notable miracle things which he possessed was his own, hath been done by them, is manisest to all but they had all things common. them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we can- 33. And with great power gave the apos not deny it.
tles witness of the resurrection of the Lord
Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. || among the people ; (and they were all with
34. Neither was there any among them one accord in Solomon's porch. that lacked : for as many as were possess.
13. And of the rest durst no man join ors of lands or houses, sold them, and himself to them: but the people magnified brought the prices of the things that were them. sold,
14. And believers were the more added 35. And laid them down at the apostles' to the Lord, multitudes both of men and feet: and distribution was made unto every women.) man according as he had need.
15. Insomuch that they brought forth the 36. And Joses, who by the apostles was sick into the streets, and laid them on beds surnamed Barnabas, (which is being inter- and couches, that at the least the shadow preted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, of Peter passing by might overshadow some and of the country of Cyprus,
of them. 37. Having land, sold it, and brought the 16. There came also a multitude out of money, and laid it at the apostles' feet. the cities round about unto Jerusalem, CHAP. V.
bringing sick folks, and them which were 1 Ananias and Sapphira al Peter's rebuke fall down vexed with unclean spirits: and they were dead. 12 The apostles work miracles.
healed every one. 1. UT a certain man named Ananias,
BoWiehe sapphiran his wile, sonda : all they that were with him, which is the
sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with 2. And kept back part of the price, his indignation, wife also being privy to it, and brought a
18. And laid their hands on the apostles, certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. and put them in the common prison.
3. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Sa- 19. But the angel of the Lord by night tan filled thy heart to lie to the Holy opened the prison-doors, and brought them Ghost, and to keep back part of the price forth, and said, of the land ?
20. Go, stand and speak in the temple 4. While it remained, was it not thine to the people all the words of this life. own ? and after it was sold, was it not in 21. And when they heard that, they enthine own power? Why hast thou con- tered into the temple early in the morning, ceived this thing in thy heart? Thou hast and taught. But the High-Priest came, not lied unto men, but unto God.
and they that were with him, and called 5. And Ananias, hearing these words, the council together, and all the senate of fell down, and gave up the ghost: and the children of Israel, and sent to the prigreat fear came on all them that heard these son to have them brought. things.
22. But when the officers came, and 6. And the young men arose, wound him found them not in the prison, they returned, up, and carried him out, and buried him. and told,
7. And it was about the space of three 23. Saying, The prison truly found we hours after, when his wife, not knowing shut with all safety, and the keepers standwhat was done, came in.
ing without before the doors : but when 8. And Peter answered unto her, Tell we had opened, we found no man within. me whether
sold the land for so much ? 24. Now when the High-Priest, and the And she said, Yea, for so much.
captain of the temple, and
the Chief Priests, 9. Then Peter said unto her, How is it heard these things, they doubted of them that ye have agreed together to tempt the whereunto this would grow. Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of them 25. Then came one and told them, saywhich have buried thy husband, are at the ing, Behold, the men whom ye put in pridoor, and shall carry thee out.
son are standing in the temple, and teach10. Then fell she down straightway at ing the people. his feet, and yielded up the ghost : and the 26. Then went the captain with the offiyoung men came in, and found her dead, cers, and brought them without violence: and carrying her forth, buried her by her for they feared the people, lest they should husband.
have been stoned. 11. And great fear came upon all the 27. And when they had brought them, church, and upon as many as heard these they set them before the council: and the things.
High-Priest asked them, 12. And by the hands of the apostles 28. Saying, Did not we straitly comwere many signs and wonders wrought I mand you that you should not teach in this