Imágenes de páginas

by his delay. Perhaps he wants a little more pay, or has failed to get his gun and fishing-tackle ready; or his stores of shot and powder replenished; or his paddles from his neighbour; or his canoe "gummed," a process analogous to the caulking of a boat; or, if a little misty or cloudy, it "may be " going to rain. You have no alternative but to wait.

This we did patiently for two hours after we were ready. Then, old and young gathered around us to say, "Good-bye." When we were fairly afloat, they fired off a double-barrelled gun, and gave three lusty hurrahs. Not being accustomed to such martial honours, I asked the meaning of it from Solomon, who told me it was "a sign of great respect." We threaded our way through groups of islands, where any one but an Indian accustomed to the headlands might have rowed or paddled until he would have been "in wandering mazes lost;" but with the certainty of a skilful pilot, our light and buoyant bark was guided through channels circuitous and intricate. To avoid "doubling" a point stretching out far to the west, we crossed two portages before we fairly struck the waters of the Severn. Towards evening the rain fell in torrents, which stopped our progress at least three hours earlier than we intended. During the next day, we crossed five portages, two of them long and difficult. We finished our seventh and longest portage as the last glimmerings of day disappeared; and a laborious day it was. So thoroughly were we worn out, and it being impossible to find the entrance to the Lake without more light, we pitched our tent, and kindled our fires, partly to dry our clothing, drive away the swarms of musquitoes which gathered in clouds around us, cook our supper of wild ducks shot during the voyage, and assist in making all necessary and prudent arrangements for the Sabbath. Before it was broad daylight we were on our way to Rama, distant twelve miles.


eight o'clock we were with Mr. Steer in the Mission-house, by whom we were most cordially welcomed. Our visit to him was the more acceptable, as he had been sick, and was only then recovering slowly. Fortunately, most of the Indians were at home. The chapel was crowded at both services, during which very gracious and heavenly influences were feit by all. It was indeed good to be there. Should the principal object I had in view in visiting these tribes be accomplished,-their concentration and the erection of a Manual-Labour School at Owen's-Sound, I shall not regret the trouble and inconvenience which the journey cost me. I have had two interviews with the Hon. Colonel Bruce, the head of the Indian department, and brother to the Governor-General, whose views are philanthropic and practical, and whom, as well as his Lordship, I believe to be deeply interested in the elevation of the Indian mind. Between the bands to the north and those at Alderville and the vicinity, there exists but little sympathy or intercourse. Then, the distance is great from Saugeeng and Owen's-Sound, which must always operate unfavourably to the chil dren being kept at Alderville. In addition, these people have always been dissatisfied, that the school first promised to them has not been erected. You may judge of their anxiety to have one, by their offering, since my return, to give up for two years, at Nawash and Saugeeng, one-half of their annuities, which from these two bands alone would amount to between £900 and £1,000. If we can induce them to concentrate, there can be no difficulty in erecting the school then the work could be managed more economically and efficiently than by having to sustain Missionaries and schools at so many solitary stations. Upon the whole there are encouraging signs of prosperity around us, which should both excite our gratitude and increase our confidence.


ON February 2d, Messrs. Edman and Gregory embarked at Southampton, in the "Clyde," Captain Moss, for the West Indies; and, on February 17th, Messrs. Cannell and Bishop sailed for the Bahamas and for Hayti, respectively.



APRIL, 1851.




MR. GEORGE LOMAS was born on the 22d of September, 1782, in a picturesque and secluded hamlet near Buxton, Derbyshire. His parents were eminently pious, and greatly respected. Consistent and useful members of the Wesleyan-Methodist Society, they early taught their children the truths of that religion of which they themselves were living witnesses. From his earliest infancy, the subject of this memoir was solemnly dedicated to God; and he was greatly indebted to his maternal grandmother for the sacred lessons which were implanted in his mind during his childhood. This excellent woman, and her husband, John Knowles, were among the first disciples of the venerable Wesley, and were at that time almost the only Methodists in the neighbourhood of Buxton. They frequently travelled on horseback to Stockport, a distance of sixteen miles, to hear the sermons of the early Methodist Preachers; generally returning home the same day. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Knowles came to reside with her daughter; and to her was confided much of the charge of her infant grandchildren. The good old lady gathered these little ones around her, and poured into their tender minds, in words of gentleness and love, the holy lessons of religion. Often their tears fell fast, and their little hearts glowed with deep emotion. In tones which age had rendered tremulous, she would then lead their infant voices in the evening hymn of praise. One of that interesting group, an amiable youth, after many years of sanctified affliction, yielded his chastened spirit into the hands of God in the twenty-third year of his age. A second grew up, a sprightly, robust, and highly-gifted woman, apparently designed for a lengthened career of Christian usefulness; but she was mysteriously cut off in the flower of her age. A third, after a long life spent in the service of her Master, died triumphantly in the Lord, in the year 1838. A fourth departed in peace about nine years later; and a fifth is the subject of this memoir.


The effect early produced on the mind of George was entirely obliterated. His youth was marked by activity, strength, and assiduity. He would not allow his fellows to surpass him either in work or play. Among his neighbours and associates he was a general favourite. During this period he developed many of the



characteristics of his after-years. His disposition was mild, generous, and forgiving; his natural temperament, sanguine and energetic. It is a beautiful instance of his youthful generosity, that he was once found at midnight thrashing out a poor widow's corn. A principal part of his occupation was that of tending his father's sheep upon the mountains. This quiet, primitive, pastoral employment, and the bold scenery in the midst of which it was followed, could hardly fail to exercise an influence on the mind of the boy, and on the subsequent character of the man. Hence he drew illustrations which he employed in later years, with great felicity of manner, in speaking of the psalms of the sweet singer of Israel, and other portions of holy Scripture; and it is not too much to say, that he was already in a course of preparation for that sphere of Christian labour which occupied so large a portion of his future life.

Lively and active, he became very popular among the youth of his rural neighbourhood, and generally took the lead in their sports. But all this could not satisfy him. At length, after repeated struggles, he earnestly besought the Lord that he might be directed to some more congenial position; promising that he would thenceforward lead a new life, and take counsel with sinners no longer. God graciously heard his prayer, and directed his steps.

In the year 1803, in the twenty-second year of his age, George Lomas left his father's house, and came to settle in Manchester. Leaving home for the first time, and about to enter upon scenes quite untried, he was pensive and thoughtful. He wept as he remembered the pious counsels he had neglected, and the precious privileges he had abused. He was overcome by the fear of new temptations; and, calling to mind snares he had just escaped, he knelt down upon a stone in a secluded part of the road, and, raising his streaming eyes to heaven, fervently prayed that God would pardon the past, and give strength and grace for time to come. There, on that hallowed and well-remembered spot, he devoutly covenanted from that day to consecrate his service to the Lord. He arose from his knees with a spirit soothed and refreshed, and cheerfully pursued his journey. In subsequent years Mr. Lomas often related this fact with great feeling, and especially when speaking to young persons setting out in life.

In 1804 he was married to Miss Mary Lomas, of Buxton; to whom he had been attached before leaving his native place. She was a person of cultivated mind and sterling piety; and in many respects far superior to the simple and unlettered inhabitants of the hills, among whom she had been brought up. From its commencement their intercourse had been hallowed by prayer; and in their subsequent union their heavenly Father gave them abundant tokens of His smile and approbation.

Soon after his marriage he joined the Methodist Society, of which he continued a member to the day of his death. Although at this period he walked consistently, attended diligently the means of grace, and had the fear of God before his eyes, he was yet a stranger to the

« AnteriorContinuar »