Imágenes de páginas

the hope that it would be made serviceable for the healthy exercise and rational recreation of the people.

“I have the honour to be, Sir,
“Your most obedient humble servant,

“C. B. PHIPPs. “The Mayor of Birmingham.”

The following was written in answer to Sir C. Phipps's letter by

the Mayor:— “Borough of Birmingham, Mayor’s-office, July 28, 1863.

“Sir, I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 25th inst., written by command of Her Majesty the Queen.

“In the first place, I beg you will convey to Her Majesty my humble assurance that there is not in the kingdom an individual who laments more sincerely than myself not only the melancholy accident to which you refer, but the depraved taste for a barbarous species of amusement which unhappily has become popular, not only in the metropolis, but in all parts of Her Majesty's home dominions. It is only a short time since, and during my Mayoralty, that it was proposed to exhibit a similar performance within the borough; but, though I was not empowered by law to interfere, I ventured so far to interpose my authority as to prevent it. In this unfortunate instance my name appeared in conjunction with those of the Lord-Lieutenant and several magistrates and members of Parliament, as patrons of the fête, which was for a charitable purpose; but I believe not a single gentleman whose name so appeared had any idea that a dangerous exhibition would be attempted. For the future I have every reason to hope that, notwithstanding Aston-park is beyond the jurisdiction of the authorities at Birmingham, their influence and that of their fellow-townsmen will henceforth limit its use exclusively to the healthy exercise and rational recreation of the people, so that the gracious intentions of Her Majesty and her revered Consort may not be frustrated, but realized.

“In the mean time, I trust that exhibitions of so dangerous and demoralizing a character may be interdicted by Parliamentary enactment.

“I have the honour to be, Sir,
“Your obedient servant,

“Colonel the Hon. Sir Charles B. Phipps, &c., Osborne.”


3. RAILwAY ACCIDENT.—A shocking accident happened on the new Lynn and Hunstanton Railway. An excursion train left Hunstanton for Lynn and Wisbeach at about eight o'clock, consisting of fifteen well-filled carriages. When the train had passed Wootton station about half a mile, and was within about two miles of Lynn, it ran upon a bullock which had got upon the line. The first carriage, which was a first-class carriage, and the two next went at once off the line, and after being dragged upwards of one hundred yards, they upset. The first-class carriage went completely over, and lay with its wheels upwards, but, singular to say, its occupants—three or four gentlemen, and one, if not more ladies—escaped unhurt. The occupants of the next carriage were not so fortunate. They were third-class carriages, and one of them was smashed utterly to pieces. In this carriage were some who lost their lives; but in this carriage also, there were many who escaped with a shaking. The train was quickly pulled up, and the passengers who were unhurt got out, and instant exertions were made to ascertain the extent of the damage. Sad to say, five persons were found to be killed, and numerous others wounded, four or five severely, and at least twenty others slightly. The engine proceeded to Lynn to procure assistance, and several medical gentlemen went at once to the spot. Every attention was paid to the injured, and the dead were separated from the ruins. They were found to be five in number, and some of them so frightfully mutilated as to defy recognition for a time. The killed were Mr. John Laird, builder, Lynn; Mrs. Clarke, wife of Mr. Clarke, of Brandon; a Miss Clarke, aged seventy-three, of Guanock-terrace, Lynn; Miss Palmer, of Walpole, near Wisbeach, aged about twenty-five; and Mrs. Brown, wife of Mr. W. Brown, builder and stonemason, of Lynn. Those seriously hurt were Mrs. Laird, wife of the deceased . Laird, who received severe contusions on the head; Mr. Dennis, shipowner, of Lynn, who had his thigh broken and his legs otherwise injured; a young woman named Eliza Bartle, who was so severely wounded in the foot as to render amputation necessary; and a woman named Ann Jickling, who was also severely injured in the ankle. A great portion of the passengers walked home to Lynn, but others remained until the engine returned and the train bringing the injured came to Lynn. Mr. Dennis died on the following morning. An inquest was held at the Ship Inn, Gaywood, by Mr. Thomas Martin Wilkin, coroner, upon the bodies of John Laird, Susan Clarke, Elizabeth Clarke, W. Palmer, and Mrs. Brown. After a protracted and searching inquiry, the jury found a verdict of “Accidental death of five persons caused by a bullock straying on the line through gross negligence of the authorities of the Great Eastern Railway and their officers—first, by not putting the fences into a state of safety; secondly, by not putting the bullock off the line where the accident occurred; thirdly, by the disgraceful state of the carriages used for the conveyance of the unfortunate persons. The jury also consider the Government Inspector deserving censure for passing a line so inadequately fenced.” — Visit of THE PRINCE of WALEs to HALIFAx.—The anticipated brilliancy of the Prince's visit to Halifax to open the new Town Hall, which had recently been built in that town, was greatly diminished by two very unfortunate circumstances—first, the inability of the Princess, from temporary indisposition, to accompany her royal consort; and secondly, the heavy rain which prevailed throughout the whole of the Prince's stay in the town. His Royal Highness reached Halifax by special train from London on the afternoon of the 3rd, and was received by the Mayor, Mr. John Crossley, whose guest he continued to be during the whole of his visit. Much enthusiasm was shown at the station, but not a tithe of what would certainly have been manifested had the Prince been accompanied by his young bride. After a short stay at the Mayor’s, the Prince visited the carpet manufactories of Messrs. Crossley and Sons, where 4500 hands were busily engaged; the worsted mills of Messrs. Ackroyd, where even a larger number was employed; and afterwards the factory of Mr. Whiteley, where the wonderful series of most ingenious machines by which the cards for wool-combing are produced were carefully inspected. These visits were made so privately that the wide-spread crowds in all directions were for once fairly eluded, though when His Royal Highness's carriage was caught sight of, it was impossible to prevent their rushing after it pell-mell. On their return to Manor Heath, the Prince drove round and inspected the very fine Orphanage which Mr. Crossley is building, and this concluded the royal events of the day. The next morning the Prince left the Mayor's house soon after eleven o’clock, in a procession formed by private carriages, filled by municipal officers, and visited all the chief objects of interest in the town, the rain falling mercilessly the o time. His Royal Highness came into the enclosure of the Peace Hall soon after twelve. By that time the rain had done its worst, and had subsided to a steady drizzle. As the Prince entered, the whole assemblage unmasked themselves from their umbrellas, and rising, greeted him with one of the most hearty and prolonged cheers that have been heard among the Yorkshire hills since Halifax was built. It was in vain for the Prince to bow his acknowledgments, as he did most deeply. The more he bowed, the more they cheered, and for two or three minutes there was such a scene of waving hats, handkerchiefs, wet umbrellas, and deafening cheering, as has seldom been seen at any welcome that royalty ever received. When quiet was at last restored, the National Anthem was sung with that wonderful power and effect which only multitudes singing can produce. During the whole time that this was sung the Prince remained, like all the rest, standing bareheaded in the rain. It was nearly two o'clock before His Royal Highness alighted at the entrance to the Town Hall, where he was received by the Mayor and Mr. Edward Baring, the architect. In the hall itself, which was crowded with the élite of the county gentry, the National Anthem was sung, and a prayer having been offered up by the Bishop of Ripon, an address was read by the town clerk. To this the Prince replied in the following terms:– “Mr. Mayor and Gentlemen, -I return you my cordial thanks for your address, and for the terms in which you have alluded to the part I am proud to take in the ceremony of inaugurating your Town Hall, in which I see so much to admire, whether in regard to the design, the execution, or the mode in which its cost is met. Indeed, the general prosperity of your town, the industry which, aided by the most ingenious machinery, has so long distinguished its inhabitants, and which I witnessed yesterday developed to its full extent, cannot fail to strike every visitor with wonder and admiration. I have also to thank you for the earnest wishes you have expressed for my happiness and that of the Princess. Conscious of the duties which you so impressively remind me of, I feel I cannot better perform them than by following the bright example of the Queen and my beloved father.” This formal ceremony over, the Prince, accompanied by his suite, and followed by the Mayor, came out on to the balcony in front of the Town Hall, and in a loud, clear, ringing voice, proclaimed the hall opened, amid the most tremendous cheers from the crowd beneath. After partaking of a déjeńner, His Royal Highness proceeded at once to the station, and quitted #. by the 3.10 train. 11. THE QUEEN's Visit to BELGIUM.–Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by their Royal Highnesses Princess Helena, Prince Alfred, Prince Leopold, and Princess Beatrice, embarked on board the royal yacht “Victoria and Albert,” Captain His Serene Highness Prince Leiningen, at six o'clock, off Greenhithe, and immediately proceeded down to the Nore, where the yacht was anchored for the night. At an early hour the next morning the anchor was weighed, and the royal yacht proceeded on her passage to Antwerp, followed by Her Majesty's ships “Osborne’’ and “Vivid,” and the Trinity House yacht. At a quarter before two o'clock p.m., the royal yacht arrived off Antwerp. Shortly afterwards the Queen, Royal Family, and suite landed, and were conveyed from the landing-place in the carriages of His Majesty the King of the Belgians to the railway station, where a special train was in waiting to convey Her Majesty. At a quarter before four o'clock the train stopped at the station of Scharbeck, where His Majesty King Leopold, with the Duke and Duchess of Brabant, were in waiting to receive Her Majesty. The Queen and Royal Family immediately left the train, and having got into the King's carriages, accompanied His Majesty to Laeken. Her Majesty had a favourable passage, but suffered in some degree from the fatigue of the journey. he ladies in attendance on the Queen also drove to Laeken. The gentlemen of the suite generally were entertained at the Palace at Brussels. His Royal Highness Prince Alfred also was lodged in the Palace at Brussels, attended by Major Cowell. 24. FATAL AccIDENT to AN AERONAUT.--A grand fête was held in the park of Mr. North, at Basford, near Nottingham. Amongst the other amusements it was announced that Mr. Coxwell would ascend in his balloon at six o'clock in the evening. However, from various reasons, his place was supplied by Mr. Chambers, who had previously made many ascents. The balloon was almost new, but of not very large dimensions. After it had been fully inflated, Mr. Coxwell tried it, and found there would be some difficulty in his ascending by it. Just at this time Mr. Chambers stepped forward and proffered to go up in the balloon. After some conversation, it was agreed that Mr. Chambers should go up, but Mr. Coxwell told him not to attempt an ascent unless he felt quite confident he could manage the balloon. Chambers replied that he had no fear about managing it, and accordingly he was allowed to make the ascent. The balloon rose steadily, and was carried somewhat rapidly in a north-easterly direction towards Nottingham. It proceeded as far as Arnoldvale, when it was seen suddenly to collapse whilst still at a considerable altitude, and then to fall quickly in an unshapely mass. Some young men who were near the spot where the balloon fell, hastened to render assistance. The balloon heaved and fell as it descended, completely covering the car, and ultimately both dropped in a field near Scout-lane, three miles from Nottingham. The car struck the ground and rebounded several feet, and then fell again, when it was caught hold of by the young men and stopped. At the bottom of the car lay stretched the body of the unfortunate amateur aeronaut. He was lifted out, but found to be just breathing, not quite insensible, having his handkerchief in his mouth. He was conveyed to the nearest dwelling, and all means adopted to restore animation, but without effect. Drs. Robertson and Maltby afterwards saw him, and discovered that his left thigh was fractured, and some of his ribs were broken, but they considered it very probable that the unfortunate man died through

« AnteriorContinuar »