Imágenes de páginas

before he or the boat reached him he sank. He went over in this vessel last night, and when I was speaking to him at half-past eleven last night he appeared quite collected, and told me that he went over for change of air, and had slept better on the passage than he had done for a long time; and having recommended him to go to bed again, he did so, and said he would get up at four o'clock. The steward saw him sit on the taffrail, put his legs over, and let himself slip into the sea. The whole time in trying to save him only occupied thirteen minutes. I cannot speak in too high terms of Daly's conduct and manly courage in jumping overboard.” 18. GREAT FIRE IN THE CITY. —Between three and four o'clock a.m., an alarming fire broke out in the premises of Messrs. Henry Capel and Co., agents to Messrs. Fiest, Brothers, and Sons, of Frankfort-on-the-Maine, wine and dry coopers, situated in Seethinglane, City. The building, which was very extensive and five stories high, was formerly the residence of one of our Princes. Under the main building was an extensive range of bonded warehouses belonging to the Corn Exchange. A police-constable of the City force went under the entrance leading to Messrs. Capel’s premises, and then saw that the lower part of the building forming the northern portion of the quadrangle was on fire. He at once called the attention of his inspector, Mr. Kilby, who was in the station on duty, two doors distant. The inmates were enabled to effect their retreat, although nearly stifled with the heated smoke. Mr. Kilby sent off messengers in all directions for the engines. With as little delay as possible, the powerful steam land engines by Shand and Mason, #. the brigade stations at Wellclose-square, Watling-street, Tooley-street, and Chandos-street attended, under the personal direction of Captain Shaw. Mr. Hodges also attended, with the “Torrent,” a powerful steamer by Messrs. Merryweather and Sons, of Long-acre, as well as several manual engines of the London establishment, and those of the adjoining parishes and Her Majesty's Customs. A good supply of water was procured. The first thing sought to be accomplished by Captain Shaw was to cut off the extension of the flames in the direction of the Corn Exchange and the houses in Mark-lane. In that endeavour he was ably assisted by Mr. Hodges and Lieutenant Becker. The flames were rolling high into the air, and lighted up the Monument, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Custom-house, and Bow Church, and a passenger who arrived from Cambridge stated that the reflection of the fire could be seen distinctly twenty miles down the line. Captain Shaw, and the various officials under him, and Mr. Hodges, were unable to get the mastery over the fire for several hours, but owing to the great aid rendered by the steamers, the houses in Mark-lane were preserved, as well as the Corn Exchange. The damage, however, to Messrs. Capel’s premises amounts to something considerable. Hitchcock, one of Hodge's firemen, fell through one of the floors and got his wrist burned; and Moore, one of the brigade, had also a narrow escape. Such was the rapidity of the fire at the commencement, that Mrs. Timms, who had her watch and some jewellery under her pillow, had not time to save any of them. The fire was not entirely extinguished until an advanced hour the next morning, and even then it was found necessary to keep the standpipes in the plugs, so that water could be instantaneously obtained in the event of a fresh outbreak. The surveyors and assessors of losses found that the damage was far greater than was anticipated while the fire was at its height. Messrs. Capel and Co., besides being coopers, were also wine merchants, and their stock of wine was very large. Cellar after cellar at the rear of the premises in Seething-lane stretched as far back as those in Mark-lane, each containing cases and racks of wine in bottle, besides those in wood. Some of the wines had been bottled for many years, and the boiling water from the upper part of the buildings, as it fell below, of course must have greatly ol. the wine. Some idea of the amount of heated water that fell into the cellar may be formed from the fact of several of the land engines being kept for hours pumping the water out as soon as the fire was got under. — DESTRUCTION of A Nobi.EMAN’s House BY FIRE. —Rockingham-house, the princely mansion of Wiscount Lorton, near Boyle, in the county of Roscommon, was burnt down and reduced to ruins. It was occupied by the Hon. Edward R. King, son of the present Peer. Mrs. King, with her child, had to fly §: refuge to the residence of the gardener. When the fire was discovered in the night, the domestics and the tenants of the several lodges did all in their power to extinguish the flames, but in vain; they could only save a portion of the valuable effects. Rockingham-house was erected by the late Wiscount between the years 1812 and 1816. It was one of the finest of the residences of the nobility in Ireland. 25. THE WRECK of THE “ANGLo-SAxon '' STEAMSHIP.-The opening of the navigation of the St. Lawrence, and the commencement of the direct summer trade with Canada through Quebec, was this year marked by a terrible catastrophe. The first steamer of the season, the “Anglo-Saxon,” striking on one of the rocks or reefs a few miles to the eastward of Cape Race, became in an hour a total wreck. The casualty was unhappily attended by a deplorable loss of life. Of the 440 passengers and crew on board the vessel, nearly 300 perished. There were circumstances connected with the “Anglo-Saxon" which might be thought to have made an accident to this special ship the least probable of maritime casualties. She was more strongly built than the ordinary vessels of her class. Her iron plates were of more than the usual thickness, and she was fitted with four water-tight bulkheads. The well-constructed vessel, too, was in the hands of a commander of skill and professional knowledge. Captain Burgess is described as a good and very careful navigator, having, besides these valuable qualifications, great experience in this particular passenger trade. The following account of this terrible calamity was furnished by the first officer of the unfortunate vessel:—

“The ‘Anglo-Saxon’ left Liverpool on the 16th inst. at five p.m. She experienced strong westerly gales until Saturday, the 25th, eight p.m., when she fell in with the ice and a thick fog. The engines were immediately slowed. At ten p.m., the ice being thick and heavy, the engines were stopped altogether, a light breeze from the south forcing the ship ahead about one knot an hour. At five a.m. on the 26th the fog lifted, and, the ice having slacked, we set the foretopsails and headsails, running the engines occasionally at a dead slow. At half-past ten a.m. the fog cleared away altogether, and we saw clear water to the west-north-west from the masthead. We continued our course towards clear water. At two p.m. we got the ship clear of ice, and steered north-west by west with full speed, and with all possible sail. A moderate breeze was blowing from the southward at this time. At noon, latitude 46-57, longitude 57:24, by the chronometer. At ten p.m. the breeze freshened, and blew strongly from the south-south-east, and a dense fog set in. We took in all sail at eight a.m. on the 27th. The fog continued to be dense, and, supposing the ship to be forty miles off Cape Race, we altered her course to west half-north, and slowed the engines to half-speed, which we supposed would have taken us seventeen miles south of Cape Race. At ten minutes past eleven a.m. breakers were reported on the starboard beam. Captain Burgess immediately ordered the engines to be reversed at full speed; but before her headway could be stopped she struck flat on the rocks off Clam Cove, about four miles north of Cape Race. A heavy sea rolling in drove her quarter on the rocks, carrying away her rudder, sternpost, and propeller. Finding that there was no possibility of the ship coming off, the order was given to let go both anchors to hold the ship on the rocks. The carpenter was forthwith sent to examine the forepeak, and found it filling fast with water. He also examined the forehold, but found no water there. The chief engineer, coming up directly afterwards, reported the forward stokehole filling fast. He opened the valves and blew the steam out of the boilers. The boats were all immediately lowered successfully, except No. 1 and No. 3. The ship was so close to the rocks that these could not be got out. Boat No. 2, with some of the crew and passengers, commanded by Captain Crawford, was sent to find a place on which to land the passengers. Some of the crew being landed on the rocks by means of a studding-sail boom, with the help of some of the passengers, got a hawser secured to a rock to keep the vessel from listing out, when we commenced to land the female passengers on the rocks by means of the foreyard arm. The first-class passengers were put into a boat. At about noon the ship's stern swung off from the rocks, and she settled down very fast, listing to port at the same time, and sunk in deep water. The captain and a great many passengers were on deck at the time, and, with a part of the crew, were all lost.”

— THE Two CHURCHES IN IRELAND.—A singular collision between the clergy of the rival Churches occurred in a parish on the west of the Shannon. A Mr. Smith, station-master on the railway at Woodlawn, died of consumption, having been attended during his illness by the Rev. Mr. Fleming, the rector of the parish. The “Western Star” stated that the deceased was born a Protestant, and never expressed any desire to change his religion. His wife was a Roman Catholic, and she bore the same testimony. When her husband had become insensible he was visited by the parish priest, the Rev. Mr. Manning, who first baptized, and then anointed him. Having thus transferred him to his own Church, he expressed his intention of attending his funeral, and reading the Roman Catholic burial service over his remains. Mr. Fleming, a man of zeal and nerve, expressed his firm determination to attend also, and read the service of the Protestant Church. Rumours to this effect caused a good deal of popular excitement; the magistrates were informed that a breach of the peace might be apprehended, and accordingly an extra police force was brought to Kilconnell, in order to guard against mischief. The funeral was attended by twenty-two cars and a small concourse on foot. On its arrival in the streets the parish priest stepped forth, robed in his vestments, and commenced reciting the service for the dead. Immediately after, the rector took up his part in the solemn duet, robed in his surplice. Thus each performed the service as the procession moved slowly on. To do the people justice, they behaved very well under such exciting circumstances. Mr. Fleming was rudely jostled once or twice, and in the copious sprinkling of holy water the rev. gentleman got more than his share of it, but he remained last upon the ground; and it is stated that though the priest ordered his people to put on their hats when he retired, many of them remained uncovered till the Protestant service was over. 28. DEPARTURE OF 1000 EMIGRANTS FROM MANCHESTER.— Upwards of 1000 emigrants left the Victoria Railway-station of the London and North-Western Company, Manchester, for Birkenhead, en route for New Zealand. The train consisted of twentyone carriages, inclusive of the luggage-vans, which appeared to be as heavily laden with goods as the carriages were with emigrants. The engine and carriages were gaily decked with evergreens and flags, and a majority of the adventurers appeared as joyous and light-hearted as if they were going only for a short pleasure trip, instead of a distant voyage to the antipodes. The emigrants consisted of 400 to 500 families, besides many single young men and women. The station was exceedingly crowded, there being quite as many friends there to bid them “God speed” as there were emigrants. The train started at 11.15 a.m., and was under the charge of Mr. Cooper, the emigration commissioner. For some hours previously many of the younger people had been trying to hide their sadness by singing in chorus, and just as the steam-engine gave its preliminary snort, and was getting under way, their voices again burst forth in cheerful concert, so that they departed in happy seeming, whatever might be their real feelings. The crowd of friends on the platform gave them a hearty farewell cheer as the train rolled out of the station, and some of them stood gazing down the line long after the train was out of sight. The crowd then gradually, but slowly, dispersed, and it was some time before the station was finally cleared. A few blanched faces and tearful eyes might be seen among those left behind, but they were soon lost sight of in the crowd. The emigrants were bound for Canterbury, New Zealand, by the ship “British Crown.” They were chiefly natives of Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, and the surrounding villages. 29. THE CHURCH IN THE METROPOLIS.—An important movement was inaugurated at the Bishop of London's residence, St. James's-square. A meeting of property owners and employers of labour in the metropolis, convened by his lordship, was held, for the purpose of devising means to meet the spiritual wants of the poorer districts of London. Nearly 200 noblemen and gentlemen were present. The Bishop delivered an interesting address, in which he expatiated on the great necessity which existed for larger spiritual provision, to meet the enormous increase of population. The Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Sandon, and others having spoken, it was determined that 1,000,000l. should be raised in the next ten years for the purpose of building churches, providing missionary curates, parsonages, and endowments for small livings.


2. THE ANNUAL DINNER of THE Royal ACADEMY was held, Sir Charles Eastlake, president of the Academy, in the chair. There were also present the Prince of Wales and Prince Louis of Hesse, the Duke of Cambridge, the leaders of our political parties, and men eminent in every walk of literature, science, and art. The Prince of Wales and Prince Louis of Hesse both made speeches. In responding to the toast of his health, the Prince of Wales, who spoke evidently under deep emotion, but in a peculiarly clear and pleasing tone of voice, and with great impressiveness of manner, said:—“Sir Charles Eastlake, your Royal Highnesses, my Lords and Gentlemen, It is with the most contending feelings of pleasure, pride, and sorrow that I rise to return you thanks in the name of myself and the Royal Family for the kind terms in which you, Sir Charles, have proposed our health, and for the very cordial way in which this distinguished assembly has received it. I cannot on this occasion divest my mind of the associations connected with my beloved and lamented father. His bright example cannot fail to stimulate my efforts to tread in his footsteps, and, whatever

« AnteriorContinuar »