« AnteriorContinuar »
Joshua, ch. 14–24.
22. 1. The two tribes and a half, as 399. That we must neither raise
they return, build an altar. nor harbour suspicions.
22. 15. The two tribes and a half 400. Of preventing misunderstand-
explain their intentions.
ing by calm discussion.
23. 1. Joshua exhorteth the assem- 401. God moves us by present bless-
bled rulers of Israel.
ings, and by promises and threats.
24. 1. God setteth forth by Joshua 402. Of the example to be set by
his dealings with his people. ministers and their families.
24. 16. The people renew their co- 403. The guilt incurred by pledges
venant with the Lord.
24. 29. Joshua dieth and is buried; 404. That we must take Christ for
our Ruler and our Guide,
The Book OF JUDGES, ch. 1-21. LECTURE 405–409.
1. 1. The children of Israel ask 405. The happiness of them who
counsel of the Lord.
obey God stedfastly.
1. 4. The success of Judah ; the 406. The help of God can give us
victory in every thing.
tribute of the world.
chim. Israel under the judges. the vicissitudes of the church.
as God's dispensation.
JUDGES, ch. 3—16.
Judges, ch, 16-21,
The Book of Ruth, ch, 1–4,
king the displeasure of God.
the influence of kindness.
God's special providence.
claimeth marriage of Boaz. judgments, and pure in heart.
inheritance; marrieth Ruth. make provision for a family.
conversion of the wicked.
1. 9. The prayer of Hannah is grant- 452. That we must devote our-
selves unconditionally to God.
at the same time prayer.
be lightly esteemed.
1 SAMUEL, ch. 3—17.
19. 18. Saul having pursued David 483. That we ought to glorify God
to Naioth, prophesieth there. purposely with all our might.
20. 24. Jonathan soundeth Saul's 485. That Christ is the bond of
mind ; parteth with David. union among Christians.
22. 11. Doeg, by Saul's orders, slay- 488. What it is to have a tender
eth the priests and their families. conscience.
23. 16. Saul compasseth David, but 490. The blessedness of being pre-
turneth away to meet the Philis- vented from committing sin.
28. 1. Saul at Endor seeketh to con- 498. Of listening to the admoni-
sult Samuel that was dead. tions of departed friends.
who fainteth, but is refreshed. with the soul.
30. 1. The Amalekites having spoil- 501. Our way to succeed is to pur-
ed Ziklag are pursued by David. sue as God would have us.