« AnteriorContinuar »
41. Others said, This is the CARIST. But some said, Shall CHRIST come out of Galilee?
42. Hath not the Scripture faid, That CHRIST cometh of the Seed of David, and out of the Town of Bethlehem, where David was ?
43. So there was a Division among the People because of him.
44. And some of them would have taken him; but no Man laid Hands on him.
45. Then came the Officers to the Chief Priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
46. The Officers answered, Never Man Srake like this Man.
47. Then answered them the Pharisecs, Are ye also deceived ?
48. Have any of the RULERS or of the PHARISEES believed on him?
49. But this people who knoweth not the Law, are cursed.
50. Nicodemus faith unto them, (he that came to Fesus by Night, being one of them)
51. Doth our Law judge any Man before it heAR him, and know what he doth ?
52. They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee ? Search and look : for out of Galilee ariseth no Prophet.
53. And every Man went unto his own House.
CHRIST in the Temple teaches the People. The
Scribes and Pharisees bring a Woman taken in Adultery, with design to ensnare him. Being convinced of their own Wickedness by what was said unto them, they go out of the Temple,, CHRIST `declares himself to be the Light of the World, and that he was sent by God the Father, and his Unity with him; upon which many of the Jews believe on him. The Jews ask him whether he was greater than their Father Abraham, upon which he declares his eternal Existence.
E SUS went unto the Mount of Olives :
into the Temple, and all the People came unto him; and he sat down and taught them.
3. And the Scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a Woman taken in Adultery; and when they had set her in the mids,
4. They say unto him, Master, this Woman was taken in Adultery, in the very A&t.
5. Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned : but what says thou?
6. This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jefus ftooped down, and with his Finger wrote on the Ground, as though he heard them not.
7. So when they had continued alking him, he lift up himself, and said unto them, He that is without Sin among you, let him first cast a Stone at her.
8. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the Ground.
9. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own Conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the Woman standing in the midit.
10. When Jesus had lift up himself, and saw none but the Woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine Accufers? Hath no Man condemned thee?
11. She said, No Man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: Go, and lin no more.
12. Then fpake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the Light of the World: he that followeth me, fhall not walk in Darkness, but shall have the Light of Life.
13. The Pharisees therefore faid unto him, Thou bearest record of thy self; thy Record is not true.
14. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of my self, yet my Record is true : for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.
15. Ye judge after the Flesh, I judge no Man.
16. And yet if I judge, my Judgment is true : for I am not alone, but I and the FATHER that fent me.
17. It is also written in your Law, that the Testimony of two Men is true.
18. I am one that bear witness of my felf, and the FATHER that fent me, beareth witness of me.
19. Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? FeSus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father : if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.
20. These Words fpake Jesus in the Treasury, as he taught in the Temple: and no Man laid Hands on him, for his Hour was not yet come.
21. Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your Sins: whither I
go, ye cannot come. 22. Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he faith, Whither I go, ye cannot come.
23. And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath, I am from above : ye are of this World, I am not of this world.
24. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your Sins: for if ye BELIEVE not that I am he, ye shall die in your Sins.
25. Then said they unto him, Who art thou ? And Jesus faith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the Beginning.
26. I have many Things to say, and to judge of you : but he that sent me, is true ; and I speak to the World those Things which I have heard of him.
27. They understood not that he fpake to them of the Father.
28. Then said Jesus unto them, When the Son of Man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of my felf; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these Things.
29. And he that sent me, is with me: the Father hath not left me alone : for I do always those Things that please him.
30. As he spake thefe Words, many BELIEVED on him.
31. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my Word, then are ye my Disciples indeed,
32. And ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free.
33. They answered him, We be Abraham's Seed, and were never in Bondage to any Man: How fayst thou, Yc shall be made free?
34. (a) Jesus answered (a) Rom. vi. 16. Know ye noe them, Verily, verily I say that to whom ye yield your lelves
Servants to obcy, his Servants ye unto you, whosoever commit
are to whom ye OBEY; whether teth Sin, is the Servant of of Sin unto Death, or of OBEDI. Sin.
INCE unto Rightcousness ?
after the FLESH, ye mall DJE : eth not in the House for but if ye through ibe Spirit do
have lift up
ever, but the Son abideth MORTIFY the Deeds of the Body,
ye shall Live. ever.
15. For ye have not received the 36. (6) If the Son there- Spirit of BONDAGE again to fear; fore shall make you FREE, Avortion, whereby we cry, Abba,
biit ye have received the Spirit of ye
shall be FREE INDEED. Father.
37. I know that ye are 20. For the Creature was made Abraham's Seed; but ye fibject to VANITY, not willingly, seek to kill me, because my subjected the same in Hope :
but by reason of him who hath Word hath no Place in you. 21. Because the Creature itself al
38. I speak that which I fo shall be delivered from the Bona have seen with my Father : DACE of CORRUPTION, into tne
glorious LIBERTY of the Childien and ye do that which ye of God. have seen with your Father. 22. For we know that the whole 39. They answered and Creation GROANETH, and travail
eth in Pain together until now : said unto him, Abraham is
23. And not only they, but our our Father. Jesus faith un- felves also, which have the Firitto them, If ye were Abra
fruits of the Spirit, even we our
selves GROAN within our felves, halie's Children, ye
WAITING for the ADOPTION, to the Works of Abraham. wit, the REDEMPTION of our Bo. 40. But now ye feek to kill dy,
i John v. 18. We know that me, a Man that hath told whosoever is born of God finneth you the Truth, which I have not; but he that is begotten of God, heard of God: This did not keepeth himself, and that WICKED
ONE toucheth him 1100. Abraham.
(6) Rom. viii. 2. For the Law of 41. Ye do the Deeds of the Spirit of Life in Chrift Ji. your Father. Then said they fis, hath made me free from the to him, We be not born of Law of Sin and DEATH.
3. For what the Law could not Fornication
; we have one do, in that it was weak through the Father, even God.
Flelhi, God fending his own SON 42. Fesus said unto them, and for Sin condemned Sin in the
in the LIKENESs of finful flesh, If God were your Father, ye Fieth: would love me, for I pro 4. Tha che RigHTEOUSNESS of ceeded forth, and came from the Law might be fulfilled in us, God; neither came I of my after the Spanit.
who walk not after thc FLESH, but self, but he sent me.
Gal. v. 1. Stand fast therefore in 43. Why do ye not under- the Liberty wherewith Chrif hata
made us free, and be not intangled stand my Speech ? even be- again with the Yoke of BONDAGE. cause ye cannot hear my
Ephef. iv.8. Wherefore he faith, Word.
When he ascended up on high he
led - CaptivITY CAPTIVE, and 44. (c) Ye are of your Fa
gave Gifts unfo Men. ther ihe DEVIL, and
(c) 1 John iii. 8. He that commitLusts of your Father ye will reth Sin, is of the Devil ; for the do : He was Murderer
Devil finneth from the beginning.
For this purpose the Son of God from the Beginning, and a- was manifested, that he might NFbode
bode not in the Truth, be- stroy the Works of the Devil. » cause there is no Truth in doth not commit SIN ; for his Seed him. When he speaketh a remaineth in him : and he cannot Lye, he speakerh of his own : Sin, because he is born of God. for he is a Lyar, and the Fa
10. In this the Children of God
are manifest, and the Children of ther of it.
the Devil: Whosnever doth noc 45. And because I tell you Righteousness, is not of God, neithe Truth, ye
ther he that loveth not his Brother.
11. For this is the Message that not.
ye heard from the Beginning, that 46. Which of you convin- we Mhould love one another. ceth me of SIN? And if I 12. Not as Cain, who was of that
WICKED ONE, and new his Brosay the Truth, why do ye ther. not BELIEVE me ?
47. He that is of God, heareth God's WORDS : ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
48. Then answered the feces, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a Devil?
49. Fesus answered, I have not a Devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.
50. And I seek not mine own GLORY: There is one that SEEKETH and JudgeTH.
51. Verily, cerily I say unto you, If a Man KEEP my Saying, he shall never fee Death.
52. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a Devil. Abraham is dead, and the Prophets; and thou fayst, If a Man keep my Saying, he Mall never taste of Death.
53. Art thou greater than our Father Abraham, which is dead ? and the Prophets are dead : Whom makest thou
54. Jesus answered, if I honour my self, my Honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me, of whom ye say that he is your God :
55. Yet ye have not known bim; but I know him : and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a Lyar like unto you: But I know him, and keep his Saying.
56. Your Father Abraham rejoiced to see my Day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty Years old, and halt thou seen Abraham?
38. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily I say unto you, (d) Exod. iii. 14. And God said Before Abraham was, (1) i mo Moles, LAM THAT I AM.
Ifai. xliii. 10. Ye are my Witncfles, faith the Lord, and my Ser. Dd2