« AnteriorContinuar »
CHRIST fbeweth who is fit to be bis
ND there went great Multitudes with him: and
he turned and said unto them,
any Man come to me, and hate not his Father, and Mother, and Wife, and Children, and Brethren, and Sisters, yea, and his own Life also, he cannot be my Disciple
. 27. And whosoever doth not bear his Cross, and come after me, cannot be my Disciple.
28. For which of you intending to build a Tower, fitteth not down first, and counteth the Coft, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
29. Left haply after he hath laid the Foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it, begin to mock him,
30. Saying, This Man began to build, and was not able to finish.
31. Or what King going to make War against another King, fitreth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand ?
32. Or else while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an Ambaffage, and defireth Conditions of Peace.
33. So likewise whosoever he be of you, that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my
DISCIPLE. 34. Salt is good : but if the Salt have lost his Savour, wherewith Shall it be seasoned ?
35. It is neither fit for the Land, nor yet for the Dunghil, but Men cast it out. He that hath Ears to hear, let him hear.
********* Peter's Confession of CHRIST.
Matt. xvi. 13. Mark viii. 27.
Luke ix. 18. [.Mr.JAND Jefus went out, and his Disciples, into the
Towns of Cæfarea Philippi; (L.) and it came to pass as he was alone praying, his Disciples were with
him. [Mr.] And by the way he asked his Disciples, saying unto them, Whom do Men, [L] the People, say [M.] that I the Son of Man am ? And they [Z.] answering, faid, [M.] Some say that thou art John the Baptist, fome Elias, and other Jeremias, [Mr.] and others one of the PROPHETS ; [L.] that one of the old Prophets is risen again. He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? TM.) And Simon Peter answered, [Mr.] and faith unto him, [L] The CHRIST of God; for (M.] Thou art CHRIST, the Son of the LIVING God. And Jesus anfwered and said unto him, Bleffed art thou Simon Barjona; for Flesh and Blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in Heaven. And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church: and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven : and whatsoever thou shalt bind on Earth, shall be bound in Heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loofe on Earth, fhall be loosed in Heaven. Then charged he his Disciples, [L] and he straitly charged them and commanded them, to tell no Man that Thing (Mr.) of him, [M.] that he was Jesus the Christ.
CHRIST being told that his Mother and
Brethren desired to speak with him, be teaches his Disciples, that those that do the Will of God are his Brethren.
Matt. xii. 46. Mark iii. 31. Luke viii. 19. (M.) AIR Mother and his Brethren (L.) came to him,
ND while he yet talked to the People, behold, and [M.) stood without, defiring to speak with him ; [L.] and could not come at him for the Press, (Mr.] and standing without fent unto him, calling him. [M.] Then one faid unto him, Behold, thy Mother and thy Brethren stand without, defiring to speak with thee. But he answered and said to them that told him, Who is my Mother? and who are my Brethren? [Mr.) And he looked round about
on them which fat about him. [M.] And he stretch- (a) Mal. iii. 16. Then they that ed forth his Hands towards FEARED the Lord spake often one
to another, and the Lord hearkned his Disciples, and said, Be- and heard it, and a Book of Rehold my Mother and my membrance was written before him, BRETHREN. For (a) who- for them that feared the Lord, and
that THOUGHT upon his NAME. soever shall do the Will of
17. And they shall be mine, faith my FATHER which is in the Lord of Horts, in that Day Heaven, the same is my Bro- when I make up my Jewels, and
I will spare them, as a Man [pareth ther, [Mr.] and my Sister, his own son that serveth him. and Mother. [L.] My Mo- Rom. viii. 14. For as many as are THER and
my BRETHREN led by the Sririt of God, they are there, which near the are the Sons of God.
15. For ye have not received the WORD of God, and do it. Spirit of BONDAGE again to fear;
but ye have received the Spirit of Adortion, whereby we cry, ABBA, FATHER.
16. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our Spirit, that we are the CHILDREN of God.
17. And if Children, then HEIRS ; Heirs of God, and joint Heirs with Christ: if fo be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18. For I reckon that the Sufferings of this present Time, at not worthy to be compared with the Glory which shall be revealed in us.
Gal. iv. 4. But when the Fulness of the Time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a Woman, made under the Law,
5. To redeem them that were under the Law, that we mighe receive the ADOPTION of Sons.
6. And because ye are Sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your Hearts, crying, ABBA, FATHER.
7. Wherefore thou are no more a Servant, but a Son; and if a Son, thén an Heir of Gon through Christ.
Ephef. i. 3. Blefled be the God and Father of our Lord Jefu Chriff, who hath blened us with all spiritual Blessings in heavenly Places in Chrift:
4. According as he hath chosen us in him, before the Foundation of the World, that we should be HOLY, and without Blame before him in Love:
s. Having predestinated us unto the ADOPTION of CHILDREN by 32sus Christ to himself, according to the good Pleasure of his Will.
i Johr. iii. 1. Behold, what manner of Love the Father hach bestowed upon us, that we should be called the Sons of God: therefore the World knoweth us nor, because it knew him not.
2. Beloved, now are we the Sons of God, and it doch not yet appcar what we shall be : but we know that when he shall appear, we shall be LIKE him, for we shall SEE HIM AS HE IS.
3. And every Man that hach this Hope in him, purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4. Whosoever committeth Sin, transgresseth also the Law: for Sin is the Transgrellion of the Law
ş. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our Sins; and in him is no Sin.
6. Whosoever ABIDETH in him, finnech nor: whofuever finacth, bath not seen him, neither KNOWN him,
7. Little Children, let no Man deceive you : He that doth Righteoulness, is righteous, even as he is righteous :
8. He that committech Sin is of the Devil ; for the Devil finneth from the Beginning.
9. Whosoever is born of God, doth not commit Sin ; for his Seed remaineth in him: and he cannot Sin, because he is born of God.
10. In this the Children of God are manifest, and the Children of the Devil : whosoever doth not Rightcousness, is not of GoD ; neither he that loverh not his Brother.
[ Mr.] AND
Christ teaching in the Synagogue, ma
ny of his Countrymen are astonished at his great Wisdom,
Wisdom, and the mighty Works performed by him; but will not believe him to be the Messiah, because of his mean Birth.
Matt. xviii. 54. Mark vi. i.
own Country, and his Disciples follow him. [1.] And when he was come into his own Country, (Mr.] and when the Sabbath-day was come, he began to teach [M.] them in their Synagogue: [Mr.) And many hearing him, were astonished, saying, from whence hath'this Man these Things ? (M.) this Wisdom, and these mighty Works? [Mr.] And what Wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty Works are wrought by his Hands ?
(a) Isai. liii. 3. He was VESPIS(a) Is not this the Carpenter? Ep and REJECTED of Men, a Man
of Sorrows, and acquainted with [M] the Carpenter's Son ? Grief. [ Mr.] the Son of Mary, the Phil. ii. s. Let this Mind be in Brother of fames and Foses, you, which was also in Christ Jesus;
6. Who being in the form of and of Juda, and Simon? God, thought it not Robbery to be [M.] And his Sisters, are EQUAL with God : they not all [ Mr.] here with 7. But made himself of no Re. us ? [M.] Whence then hath Form of a Servant, and was made
PUTATION, and took upon him the this Man all these Things ? in the Likeness of Men. [Mr.] And they were offend 8. And being found in fashion as
a Man, he HUMBLED himselt, and ed at him.
But Jefus said became obedient unto Death, even unto them, A Prophet is not the Death of the Crof.
with. 9. Wherefore Cod also hath
without Honour but in his !!IGHLY EXALTED him, and given
him a Name, which is above every own Country, and
Name: own Kindred, and in his
10. That at the Name of Jesus own House. And he could every Knee should bow, of Things there do no mighty Work, and Things under the Earth;
in Heaven, and Things in Earth, fave that he laid his Hands
11. And that every Tongue should upon a few fick Folk, and confess, that Jesus Christ is Loid, healed them. (M.) And he to the Glory of God the Father. did not many mighty Works there, because of their UNBELIEF; (Mr.) and he marvelled because of their UNBELIEF.
CHRIST payeth Tribute.
Prov. viii. 15.
Matt ND when they
me Kings reign, and xvii.24. were come to Ca
16. By me PRINCES rule, and pernaum, they that received Nobles, even all the Judges of the Tribute-Money, came to Pe- Earth. ter, and said, Doth not your faithfully Judgeth the Poor, his
Chap. xxix. 14. The King that Mafter pay Tribute ?
· Throne shall be establithed forever. 25. He faith, Yes. And 26. Many seek the Ruler's Fa. when he was come into the Vour, but every Man's JUDGMENT
cometh from the Lord. House, Fesus prevented him,
2 Sam. xxiii. 3. The God of Irsaying, What thinkest thou, rael said, the Rock of Israel spake Simon ? of whom do the to me, He that ruleth' over Men Kings of the Earth take Cuts must be Just, ruling in the Fear of
God. tom or TRIBUTE ? of their lai. xxxiii. 15. He that walketh own Children, or of Stran- righteoully, and speaketh upright
ly, he that despiseth the GAIN CF
Oppreslions, that Thaketh his Hands 26. Peter faith unto him, from holding of Bribes, that stopOf Strangers. Fesus faith peth his Ears from hearing of unto him, Then are the Chil- Blood, and shutteth his Eyes from
seeing Evil: dren free.
16. He shall dwell on high : his 27. Notwithstanding, left Place of Defence shall be the Mu. we should offend them, go given him, his Waters shall be thou to the Sea, and caft an füre. Hook, and take up the Fish Rom. xiii. 3. Wilt thou then not that first cometh up: and be afraid of the Power? Do that when thou haft opened his Praise of the fame.
which is good, and thou shalt have Mouth, thou shalt find a Piece