« AnteriorContinuar »
35. (Yea, a Sword shall pierce through thine own Soul also) that the Thoughts of many Hearts may be revealed.
36. And there was one Anna a Prophetess, the Daughter of Phanuel, of the Tribe of Afer; she was of a great Age, and had lived with an Husband feven Years from her Virginity :
37. And she was a Widow of about fourscore and four Years : which departed not from the Temple, but ferved God with Fastings and Prayers Night and Day.
38. And she coming in that Instant, gave Thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for REDEMPTION in Jerusalem.
39. And when they had performed all Things according to the Law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own City Nazareth.
40. And the Child grew, and waxed strong in Spirit, filled with Wisdom; and the Grace of God was upon him.
Matt. ii. 1. Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the Days of Herod the King, behold, there came Wise Men from the East to Jerusalem,
2. Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Fews ? for we have seen his STAR in the East, and are come to WORSHIP him.
3. When Herod the King had heard these Things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4. And when he had gathered all the Chief Priests and Scribes of the People together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judea : for thus it is written by the Prophet;
6. And thou Bethlehem in the Land of Juda, art not the least among the Princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a GOVERNOUR that shall rule my People Ifrael.
7. Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise Men, enquired of them diligently what time the STAR appeared.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go, and search diligently for the young Child, and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and WORSHIP him also.
9. When * they had heard the King, they departed; and lo, the STAR which they saw in the East, went before them, till it came and itood over where the young Child
Sce Numbers xxiv. 15.
10. When they saw the Star, they rejoiced with exceeding great Joy.
11. And when they were come into the House, they saw the young child with Mary his Mother, and fell down and WORSHIPPED him: and when they had opened their Treasures, they presented unto him Gifts ; Gold, and Frankincense, and Myrrh.
12. And being WARNED of God in a Dream, that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own Country another way.
13. And when they were departed, behold, the Angel of the Lord appeareth to Jofeph in a Dream, saying, Arise, and take the young Child and his Mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
14. When he arose, he took the young child and his Mother by Night, and departed into Egypt:
15. And was there until the Death of Herod: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the Prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my Són.
16. Then Herod when he saw that he was mocked of the wife Men, was exceeding wroth, and fent forth and flew all the Children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the Coasts thereof, from two Years old and under, according to the Time which he had diligently inquired of the wife Men.
17. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the * Prophet, saying,
18. In Rama was there a Voice heard, Lamentation and Weeping, and great Mourning, Rachel weeping for her Children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.
19. But when Herod was dead, behold, an Angel of the Lord appeareth in a Dream to Foseph in Egypt,
20. Saying, Arise, and take the young Child and his Mother, and go into the Land of Israel : for they are dead which fought the young Child's Life.
21. And he arose, and took the young child and his Mother, and came into the Land of Israel.
22. But when he heard that Årchelaus did reign in Judea, in the room of his Father Herod, he was afraid to go thither : notwithstanding, being warned of God in aDream, he turned a fide into the Parts of Galilee :
And he came and dwelt in a City called Nazareth, that it might be puLFILLED which was fpoken by the PROPHETS, He shall be called a Nazarene.
Luke ii. 41. Now bis Parents went to Jerusalem every Year at the Feast of the Paffover.
42. And when he was twelve Year old, they went up to Jerusalem after the Custom of the Feaft.
43. And when they had fulfilled the Days, as they returned, the Child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Fofeph and his Mother knew not of it.
44. But they suppofing him to have been in the Company, went a Day's Journey; and they fought him among their Kinsfolk and Acquaintance.
45. And when they found him not, they returned back again to ferusalem, seeking him.
46. And it came to pass, that after three Days they found him in the Temple, sitting in the midst of the Doctors, both hearing them, and asking them Questions.
47. And all that heard him were astonished at his UNDERSTANDING and ANSWERS.
48. And when they saw him, they were amazed : and his Mother faid unto him, Son, why haft thou thus dealt with us? Behold, thy Father and I have fought thee forrowing.
49. And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me ? Wist ye not that I must be about my FATHER'S Business?
50. And they understood not the Saying which he spake
51. And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them : But his Mother kept all thefe Sayings in her Heart.
52. And Jesus increased in WISDOM and Stature, and in FAVOUR with God and Man.
The Preaching of John the Baptist. Like
Tow in the fifteenth Year of the Reign of Tijjj. 1.
berius Cesar, Pontius Pilate being Governour of Judea, and Herod being Tetrarch of Galilee, and
bis Brother Philip Tetrarch of Iturea, and of the Region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the Tetrarch of Abilene,
2. Annas and Caiaphas being the High Priests, the Word of God came unto John the Son of Zacharias in the Wilderness.
3. And he came into all the Country about Fordan, preaching the Baptism of Repentance, for the Remission of Sins; and said, * Repent ye, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand.
4. As it is written in the Book of the Words of † Esaias the Prophet, saying, The Voice of one crying in the Wilderness, Prepare ye the Way of the Lord, make his Paths straight.
5. Every Valley shall be filled, and every Mountain and Hill shall be brought low ; and the crooked shall be made Atraight, and the rough Ways shall be made smooth;
6. And all Flesh shall see the SALVATION of God.
Matt. iii. 4. And the fame John had his Raiment of Camels Hair, and a Leathern Girdle about his Loins, and his Meat was Locusts and wild Honey.
5. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the Region round about fordan,
6. And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their Sins.
7. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his Baptism, he said unto them, O Generation of Vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the Wrath to come ?
8. Bring forth therefore Fruits meet for Repen
9. And think not to say within your felves, We have Abrahem to our Father : for I say unto you, that God is able of these Stones to raise
Children unto Abraham. 10. And now also the Ax is laid unto the Root of the Trees : therefore every Tree which bringeth not forth good FRUIT is hewn down, and cast into the Fire.
11. I indeed baptize you with Water unto REPENTANCE, but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose Shoes I am not worthy to bear : He shall BAPTIZE you with the Holy Ghost, and with Fire.
12. Whose Fan is in his Hand, and he will throughly purge his Floor, and gather his Wheat into the Garner : but he will burn up the Chaff with unquenchable Fire.
Luks See Mark i, 15.
+ See Isaiah xl. iii.
Luke iii. 10. And the People asked him, saying, What shall we do then ?
11. He answereth-and faith unto them, He that hath two Coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath Meat, let him do likewife.
12. Then came also Publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?
13. And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
14. And the Soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do VIOLENCE to no Man, neither accuse any fallly, and be content with your Wages.
15. And as the People were in Expectation, and all Men mused in their Hearts of Fobn, whether he were the CHRIS's or not;
16. John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed BAPTIZE you with Water ; but one MIGHTIER than I cometh, the Latchet of whose Shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall BAPTIZE you with the Holy Ghost, and with Fire.
17. Whose Fan is in his Hand, and he will throughly purge his Floor, and will gather the Wheat into his Garner, but the Chaff he will burn with Fire unquenchable.
18. And many other Things in his Exhortation preached he unto the People.
ND Fesus himself began to be about thirty
Years of Age, being (as was supposed) the Son of Foseth, which was the Son of Heli,
24. Which was the Son of Marthat, which was the Son of Levi, which was the Son of Melchi, which was the Son of Janna, which was the Son of Foseph,
25. Which was the Son of Mattarhias, which was the Son of Amos, which was the Son of Naum, which was the Son of Eli, which was the Son of Nagge,
26. Which was the Son of Maath, which was the Son of Muttathins, which was the Son of Simei, which was the Son of Gojej h, which was the Son of Juda,