« AnteriorContinuar »
hath sent me to heal the (6) BROKEN-HEARTED, to
(6) Psalm xxxiv. 18. The Lord
is NIGH unto them that are of a preach (C) DELIVERANCE BROKEN HEART, and faveth such to the CAPTIVES, and reco- as be of a CONTRITE Spirit. vering of (d) SIGAT to the Ps. li. 17. The Sacrifices of God
are a BROKEN SPIRIT: 3 BROKEN Blind, to set at LIBERTY and CONTRITE HEART, O God, them that are BRUISED, to thou wilt not DESPISE. preach the acceptable Year PS. cxlvii. 3. He HEALEth the of the Lord. And he closed broken in Heart, and bindeth up
their WOUNDS, the Book, and he gave it ,
(c) Ephef. iv. 8. Wherefore he again to the Minister, and faith, when he ascENDED up on sat down : And the Eyes of high, he led Captivity Cartive,
and gave Gifts unto Men. all them that were in the Sy
9. (Now that he ascended, what nagogue were faftened on is it but that he also descended fuft him. And he began to say into the lower parts of the Earth? unto them, This Day is this fanie also that ASCENDED up. far
10. He that DESCENDED, is the SCRIPTURE FULFILLED in above all HEAVENS, that he might your Ears. And all bare fill all Things)
Goloj: i. 12. Giving THANKS him Witness, and wondered
unto the Father, which hath made at the gracious Words which us meet to be PARTAKERS of the proceeded out of his Mouth. INHERITANCE of the Saints in
Light : And they said, Is not this
13. Who hath DELIVERED us Foseph's Son? And he said from the Power of Darkness, and unto them, Ye will surely fay hath translated us into the King
DOM of his dear Son : 14. In whom we have REDEMPTION through his Blood, even the FORGIVENESS of Sins.
Heb. ii. 14. Forasmuch then as the Children are Partakers of Flesh and Blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same: that through DEATH he might DESTROY him that had the Power of Death, that is, the DEVIL;
15. And deliver them, who through Fear of DEATH were all their Lifc-time subje&t to BONDAG E.
i Foln iii. 8. He that committeth Sin is of the DEVIL: for the DEVilolinneth from the Beginning. For this purpose che Son of God was manifeited, that he might DESTROY the Works of the Devil.
(d) Pfalm xcvii. 11. Light is sown for the RightEOUS, and Gladness for the UPRIGHT in Heart.
Pf.cxix. 130. The Entrance of thy Words giveth Light: it giv-, eth Understanding to the Simple.
John viji. 12. Fesus said, I am the Light of the World : he that followeth me, shall not walk in DarkNESS, but shall have the Light of LIFE.
Ephef. v. 8. For ye were sometimes DARKNESS, but now are ye LIGHT in the Lord : walk as Children of the Light.
i Tbili v. 5. Ye are all the Children of Light, and the Children of the Day: we are not of the Night, nor of DARKNESS.
2 Tim. 1. 10. But is now made manifest by the Appearing of our Saviour 17. lius Cirrift, who hath abolillsed Detii, and hath brought LIFE and I3SMURTALITY to light through the Golpel.
unto me this Proverb, Physician, heal thy self. Whatroéver we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy Country. And he said, Verily I say unto you, * No Prophet is accepted in his own Country. But I tell a Truth, many Widows were in Ifrael in the Days of Elias, when the Heaven was shut up three Years and fix Months, when great Famine was throughout all the Land : but unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Serepta, a City of Sidon, unto a Woman that was a Widow. And many Lepers were in Israel in the Time of Elizeus the Prophet, and none of them was cleansed save Naaman the Syrian. And all they in the Synagogue when they heard these Things were filled with Wrath, and rose up, and thrust him out of the City, and led him unto the Brow of the Hill, (whereon their City was built) that they might cast him down headlong. But he pasing through the midst of them, went his way.
* Sec Matt. xiii. 57.
The Doctrine of RePENTANCE and
Matt. iv. 13, to 17.
Mark i. 21. and 14, 15. ND Fesus leaving Nazareth, (Mr.) went and
[M.] came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the Sea Coast
, in the Borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim : That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Efaias the Prophet, saying, The Land of Zabulon, and the Land of Nephthalim, by the Way of the Sea beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles: The People which fat in Darkness, saw great Light: and to them which fat in the Region and Shadow of Death, Light is sprung up: From that Time, [Mr.] Jesus came into Galilee, and [M.] began to preach [Mr.) the Gospel of the KINGDOM of God, (M.] and to say, [Mr.] The Time is FULFILLED, and the KINGDOM of God is at hand;
REPENT (a) ye and BELIEVE the GOSPEL: [M.] for the KINGDOM of HEAVEN is at hand.
Of REPENTANCE and Faith, by which alone Man
kind are made Partakers of the Salvation purchased by Christ.
I. Of REPENTANCE, and its Effects.
(a) Pfalm cxix. 59. I thought on my Ways: and TURNED my Feet unto thy Testimonies.
Ifa. i. 16. Wash ye, make you clean, put away the Evil of your Doings from before mine Eyes, cease to do Evil,
19. Learn to do well, seek Judgment, relieve the Oppressed, judge the Fatherless, plead for the Widow.
Chap. Iv. 7. Let the Wicked forsake his Way, and the Unrighteous Man his Thoughts, and let him RETURN unto the LORD, and he will have Mercy upon him, and unto our God, for he will abundantly PARDON.
Jer. iii. 12. Go, and proclaim these Words towards the North, and say, RETURN thou Backsliding Israel, faith the Lord, and I will not cause mine Anger to fall upon you: for I am MERCI: FUL, faith the Lord, and I will not keep Anger for ever.
13. Only ACKNOWLEDGE thine INIQUITY that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and haft scattered thy Ways to the Strangers, under every green Tree, and ye have not obeyed my Voice, faith the Lord.
22. Return ye backsliding Children, and I will heal your Backslidings: behold, we come unto thee, for thou art the Lord our God.
Chap. iv. 4. Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the Fore-skins of your Heart, ye Men of Judah, and Inhabi. tants of Jerusalem : left my Fury come forth like Fire, and burn that none quench it, because of the Evil of your Doings.
14. O Jerusalem, wash thine Heart from WICKEDNESS, that thou mayst be saved : How long shall thy vain THOUGHTS lodge within thee?
Chap. vii. 3. Thus faith the LORD of Hosts, the God of IFrael, Amend your Ways and your Doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this Place.
Chap. xxxi. 18. I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus, Thou haft chastised me, and I was chastised, as a Bullock unaccuftoined to the Yoke: TURN thou me, and I shall BE TURNED; for thou art the Lord my God.
19. Surely after that I was TURNED, I REPENTED; and after that I was INSTRUCTED, I SMOTE upon my Thigh: I was as
Thamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the Reproach of
Lamen. iii. 40. Let us search and try our Ways, and TURN again to the Lord.
Ezek. xiv. 6. Therefore fay unto the House of Israel, Thus faith the Lord God, REPENT, and turn yourselves from your Idols, and turn away your Faces from all your Abominations.
Chap. xviii. 30. Therefore I will judge you, O House of Israel, every one according to his ways, faith the LORD God: repent and turn yourselves from all your Transgressions; fo Iniquity Ihall not be your Ruin.
31. Caft away from you all your TRANSGRESSIONS, whereby ye have transgressed, and make you a new Heart, and a new Spirit; for why will ye pie, O House of Israel?
32. For I have no Pleasure in the Death of him that dieth, faith the Lord God: wherefore TURN yourselves, and live ye.
Hosea xiv. 1. O Israel, RETURN unto the LORD thy God; for thou haft fallen by thine Iniquity.
2. Take with you Words, and turn to the LORD; say unto him, Take away all INIQUITY, and receive us graciously : so will we render the Calves of our Lips.
Joel ii. 12. Therefore also now saith the LORD, Turn ye even to me with all your Heart, and with Fasting, and with WEEPING, and with MOURNING.
13. And rent your Hearts, and not your Garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is Gracious and Merciful, flow to Anger, and of great Kindness, and repenteth him of the Evil.
Zach. xii. 10. And I will pour upon the House of David, and upon the Inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of GRACE, and of SUPPLICATIONS, and they shall look upon him whom they have PIERCED, and they shall Mourn for him as one mourneth for his only Son, and shall be in Bitterness for him, as one that is in Bitterness for his First-born.
Mart. ix. 13. But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have Mercy, and not Sacrifice : for I am not come to call the Righteous, but Sinners to RepentanCE.
Luke xiii. 2. And Jesus answering, said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galileans were Sinners above all the Galilears, because they suffered such Things?
3. I tell you, nay : but except ye repent, ye shall all likewise PERISH.
Chap. xv. 7. I say unto you, that likewise Joy shall be in Heaven over one SINNER that repentath, more than over ninety and nine just Persons, which need no RepentANCE.
17. And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired Servants of my Father's have Bread enough and to spare, and I perish with Hunger !
18. I will arise, and go to my Father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven and before thee,
19. And am no more worthy to be called thy Son : make me as one of thy HIRED SERVANTS.
20. And he arose, and came to his Father. But when he was yet a great way off, his Father saw him, and had Compafton, and ran, and fell on his Neck, and kised him.
21. And his Son said unto him, Father, I have finned against Heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy San.
Afts ii. 37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their Heart, and said unto Peter, and to the rest of the Apostles, Men and Brethren, what shall we do?
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ, for the Remifion of
shall receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Chap. iii. 19. REPENT ye therefore and be CONVERTED, that your Sins inay be blotted out, when the Times of refreshing shall come from the Presence of the Lord.
Chap. v. 31. Him hath God exalted with his right Hand to be a PRINCE and a Saviour, for to give RePENTANCE to Israel, and Forgiveness of Sins.
Chap. xi. 18. When they heard these things, they held their Peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted REPENTANCE unto Life.
Chap. xx. 21. Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Grechs, REPENTANCE towards God, and Faith towards our LORD Jesus Chrift.
Chap. xxvi. 20. But fhewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coast of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, and turn to God, and do Works meet for REPENTANCE.
Rom. ii. 4. Or despiseft thou the Riches of his Goodness, and FORBEARANCE, and LONG-SUFFERING, not knowing that the GOODNESS of God leadeth thee to REPENTANCB?
2 Cor. vii. 10. For godly SORROW worketh RePENTANCB to Salvation not to be repented of: but the Sorrow of the World worketh Death.
Heb. iv. 7. Again, he limiteth a certain Day, saying in David, To Day, after so long a time; as it is said, To Day if ye will hear his Voice, harden not your Hearts.
Chap. iii. 15. While it is said, To Day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your Hearts, as in the Provocation.
2 Pet. iii. 9. The Lord is not flack concerning his Promise (as fome Men count Slackness) but is long-suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should PERISH, but that all fould come to RePENTANCE.