« AnteriorContinuar »
I unto you. Let not your Heart be TROUBLED, neither let it be AFRAID.
28. Ye have heard how I I faid unto you, go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I faid, I go unto the Father: For my Father is greater than I.
29. And now I have told before it come to pafs, you that when it is come to pafs, ye might believe.
is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
12. Lord, thou wilt ORDAIN PEACE for us: for thou alfo haft WROUGHT all our Works in us.
Chap. liii. 5. The Chastisement of our PEACE was upon him, and with his Stripes we are healed.
Zech. vi. 13. He shall be a Priet
30. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the Prince of this World cometh, and hath nothing in me.
31. But that the World may know that I love the Father; and as the Father me Commandment, gave even fo I do. Arife, let us go hence.
his THRONE, and the Coun
fel of PEACE fhall be between them both.
As x. 36. The WORD which God fent unto the Children of Ifrael, preaching PEACE by Jefres Chrift, he is Lord of all.
Rom. v. 1. Therefore being JusTIFIED by FAITH, we have Peace with God, through our Lord Jef6 Chrift.
10. For if when we were Ene
mies, we were reconciled to God by the DEATH of his SoN: much more being reconciled, we shall be SAVED by his LIFE.
11. And not only fo, but we also Joy in God, through our Lord Jefus Chrift by whom we have now received the ATONEMENT
2 Cor. v 18. All Things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himfelf by fus Chrift, and hath given to us the Miniitry of RECONCILIATION;
19. To wit, that God was in Chrift, reconciling the World unto himfelf, not IMPUTING their TRESPASSES unto them and hath commit. ted unto us the WORD of RECONCILIATION.
Ephef. ii 13. But now in Chrift Jefus, ye who fometimes were afar off, are made NIGH by the BLOOD of Christ.
14. For he is our PEACE, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle Wall of Partition between us ;
15. Having abolifked in his FLESH the ENMITY, even the Law of Commandments, for to make in himself of twain, one new Man, fo making PEACE;
16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one Body by the CROSS, having flain the ENMITY thereby :
17. And came and preached PEACE to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
19. Now therefore ye are no more Strangers and Foreigners: but fellow Citizens with the Saints, and of the HOUSHOLD of God.
Col. i. 20. And having made PEACE through the BLOOD of his Crofs, by him to reconcile all Things unto himself, by him, I fay, whether they be Things in Earth, or Things in Heaven.
21. And you that were fometime alienated, and Enemics in your MIND by wicked WORKS, yet now hath he reconciled,
22. In the Body of his FLESH, to prefent you holy and unblameable, and unreproveable in his Sight.
Phil. iv. 6. Be careful for nothing: but in every thing by PRAYER and SUPPLICATION with THANKSGIVING, let your Requests be made known unto God.
7. And the PEACE of God which paffeth all Understanding, shall keep your Hearts and Minds through Chrift Fefus.
1. The Confolation and mutual Love between CHRIST and bis Members, under the Parable of the Vine. 18. A Comfort in the Hatred and Perfecution of the World. 26. The Office of the HOLY GHOST, and of the Apostles.
Ver. 1. AM the true VINE, Cant. BY Night on my Bed
2. I will rife now, and go about the City in the Streets, and in the broad Ways I will feek him whom my SOUL LOVETH: I fought him, but I found him not.
4. It was but a little that I paffed from them, but I found him whom my Soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go.
(6) 2 Cor. iii. 5. Not that wa are fufficient of our felves to think any thing as of our felves: but our Sufficiency is of God.
Phil. iv. 13. I can do all Things
through Chrift which strengthneth
2. Every Branch in me that beareth not FRUIT, he taketh away: and every Branch that beareth Fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more Fruit.
3. Now ye are clean thro' the Word which I have spoken unto you.
4. Abide in me, and I in As the Branch cannot
bear Fruit of itself, except
it abide in the Vine: no more can ye, except ye abide in
5. I am the VINE, ye are the BRANCHES: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the fame bringeth forth much Fruit: (b) for without me ye can do nothing.
6. If a Man abide not in me, he is caft forth as a Branch, and is withered; and Men gather them, and caft
Ephef. ii. 8. For by GRACE are ye faved, through FAITH; and that not of your felves, it is the Gift of God:
9. Not of Works, left any Man fhould boaft.
KINDNESS and LovE of God our
5. Not by Works of Righteousnefs, which we have done, but according to his MERCY he faved us by the washing of Regeneration, and renewing of the HOLY GHOST.
Cant. viii. 6. Set me as a Seal
upon thine Heart, as a Seal upon
thine Arm: for Love is STRONG
Our Saviour's Speeches
them into the Fire, and they are burned.
as Death, JEALOUSY is cruel as the
Grave: the Coals thereof are Coals
of Fire, which hath a most vehement Flame. .
I Cor. vi. 1. Know ye not that your Bodies are the MEMBERS of Chrift? Shall I then take the Members of Chrift, and make them the Members of an Harlot? God for
and abide in If ye my Words abide in you, ye fhall ASK what ye will, and it fhall be done unto you. 8. Herein is my Father that ye bear much Fruit, fo fhall ye be my Disciples.
17. But he that is JOINED unto the Lord, is one SPIRIT.
Chap. xi. 3. But I would have you know, that the HEAD of every Man is Chrift.
9. As the Father hath loved me, fo have I loved you: continue ye in my Love.
Chap. xii. 12. For as the Body is one, and hath many Members, and all the Members of that one Body,
being many, arc one Body: fo alio is Chrift.
10. If ye keep my COMMANDMENTS ye fhall abide in my Love: even as I have kept my Father's Commandments, and abide in his Love.
11. Thefe Things have I fpoken unto you, that my Joy might remain in you, and that your Joy might be full.
13. For by one SPIRIT are we all baptized into one BODY, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free, and have been all made to drink into one
12. This is my COMMANDThat MENT, ye LOVE one another, as I have loved you.
13. Greater LOVE hath no Man, than this, that a Man LAY DOWN his LIFE for his Friends.
14. Ye are my Friends, if
27. Now ye are the Body of
Chrift, and Members in particular.
2 Cor. xi. 2. For I am jealous over you with godly Jealoufy: for I have elpouted you to one Husband, that I may present you as a chaite Virgin to Chrift.
Ephef. i 22. And hath put all Things under his Feet, and gave him to be the Head over all Things to the Church,
23. Which is his Body, the FULNESS of him that filleth ail in all.
Chap. iv. 15. But fpeaking the Truth in LOVE, may grow up into him in all Things, which is the HEAD, even Chrift.
Chap. v. 2. And walk in Love, as Chrift alfo hath loved us, and hath given himself for us, an Of fering and a Sacrifice to God for a fweet-fmelling Savour.
15. Henceforth I call you
known unto you.
See pag. 94, to 100. Of the Love of God, and of CHRIST, against Johm iii. 16.
25. Chrift LOVED the CHURCH, and gave himfelf for it:
26. That he might SANCTIFY and cleanse it, with the wathing of
Water, by the WORD,
27. That he might prefent it to
16. Ye have not chofen me, but I have chofen you, and ordained you, that you fhould go and bring forth Fruit, and that your Fruit fhould remain: that whatfoever ye shall afk of the Father in my Name, he may give it you.
17. Thefe Things I command you, that ye LOVE One another.
rifhment miniftred, and knit GOD.
Col. i. 18. And he is the HEAD of the BoDy, the CHURCH: Who is the Beginning, the FIRST-BORN from the Dead; that in all Things he might have the Preeminence.
19. For it pleased the Father, that in him fhould all FULNESS dwell.
Chap. ii. 19. And not holding the Head, from which all the Body by Joints and Bands having Nontogether, increaseth with the Increase of
Heb. ii. 11. For both he that SANCTIFIETH, and they who are SANCTIFIED, are all of ONE: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them BRETHREN,
12. Saying, I will declare thy Name unto my Brethren, in the midst of the Church will I fing Praise unto thee.
Chap. iii. 6. But Chrift as a Son over his own House: whose House are we, if we hold fast the Confidence, and the rejoicing of the Hope firm unto the End.
Rev. iii. 20. Behold, I stand at the Door, and knock: if any Man hear my Voice, and open the Door, I will come in to him, and will fup with him, and he with me.
the World hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19. If ye were of the World, the World would love his own but because ye are not of the World, but I have chofen you out of the World, therefore the World hateth you.
20. Remember the Word that I faid unto you, The Servant is not greater than the Lord. If they have perfecuted me, they will alfo PERSECUTE you: If they have kept my Saying, they will keep yours alfo.
21. But all thefe Things will they do unto you for my Name's fake, because they know not him that fent me.
22. If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had Rr 2
*Note, Part of the xvth and xvith of John is quoted before in Pages 74, 75, 76. (where Chrift foretels the great Perfecutions that fhould befal his Difciples) which is here again inferted, that the Speeches of OUR SAVIOUR may be kept intire. See alfo the References against Matthe
not had Sin: but now they have no Cloke for their Sin, 23. He that hateth me, hateth my Father also.
24. If I had not done among them the Works which none other Man did, they had not had SIN: but now have they both feen, and hated both me and my Father.
25. But this cometh to pass, that the Word might be fulfilled that is written in their Law, They HATED me without a Caufe.
26. But when the COMFORTER is come, whom I will SEND unto you from the Father, even the SPIRIT of TRUTH, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall TISTIFY of me.
27. And ye alfo fhall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the Beginning.
1. CHRIST Comforteth bis Difciples against Tribulation, by the Promife of the HOLY GHOST, and by his Refurrection and Afcenfion. 23. Affureth their Prayers made in his Name to be acceptable to his Father, 33. Peace in CHRIST, and in the World Affliction.
Ver. 1.THESE Things have I fpoken unto you, that
ye fhould not be
2. They fhall put you out of the Synagogues: yea, the Time cometh, that whofoever KILLETH you, will think that he doth God fervice.
3. And these Things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
4. But thefe Things have I told you, that when the Time fhall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these Things I faid not unto you at the Beginning, because I was with you.
5. But now I go my Way to him that SENT me, and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
6. But because I have faid thefe Things unto you, Sor row hath filled your Hearts.
See Alts ii, The Descent of the HOLY GHOST, and the References