« AnteriorContinuar »
Of the Divinity of our Saviour:
obedient to Death, even the
9. Wherefore GOD alfo
Ifaiah vi. 1. I faw the LORD fitting upon a THRONE, high and lifted up, and his Train filled the Temple.
2. Above it stood the Seraphims: each one had fix Wings, with
twain he covered his Face, and with twain he covered his Feet, and with twain he did fly.
3. And one cried unto another, and faid, HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is the
10. That at the NAME of JESUS every Knee should bow, of Things in HEAVEN, LORD OF HOSTS, the whole Earth and Things in EARTH, and is full of his GLORY. Things under the Earth;
11. And thatevery Tongue
Col. i. 12. Giving Thanks
13. Who hath delivered us from the Power of Darkness, and hath tranflated us into the KINGDOM of his dear SON:
14. In whom we have REDEMPTION thro' his Blood, even the Forgivenefs of Sins.
15. Who is the IMAGE of the INVISIBLE GOD, the First-born of every Creature:
16. For by him were ALL Things CREATED that are in HEAVEN, and that are in EARTH, vifible and invifible, whether they be THRONES, or DOMINIONS, or PRINCIPALITIES, or POWERS: ALL Things were CREATED by him, and for him.
17. And he is before ALL Things, and by him ALL Things CONSIST.
4. And the Pofts of the Door moved at the Voice of him that cried, and the, Houfe was filled with Smoak,
5. Then faid I, Wo is me, for I am undone, because I am a Man of unclean Lips; for mine Eyes have feen the KING, the LORD of HOSTS.
John xii. 41. These Things faid aiah, when he faw his GLORY,
and SPAKE of him.
Ifai. ix. 6. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a SoN is given, and the GOVERNMENT fhall be upon his Shoulder: and his NAME fhall be called, WONDERFUL, COUNSELLOR, The MIGHTY GOD, The EVERLASTING FATHER, The PRINCE OF PEACE.
7. Of the increase of his GOVERNMENT and PEACE, there fhall be no END, upon the Throne of David, and upon his Kingdom, to order it, and to establish it, with JUDGMENT and with JUSTICE, from henceforth even for ever.
Chap. xl. 10. Behold, the Lord GOD will come with a strong Hand, and his Arm fhall rule for him: behold, his Reward is with him,
and his Work before him.
11. He fhall feed his Flock like
a SHEPHERD; he shall gather the Lambs with his Arm, and carry them in his Bofom, and shall gently lead those that are with Young.
12. Who has measured the Wa
ters in the hollow of his Hand ?
and meted out Heaven with the Span, and comprehended the Duft of the Earth in a Measure, and weighed the Mountains in Scales,
and the Hills in a Balance ?
18. And he is the Head of 22. It is he that fitteth upon the bitants thereof are as Grafhoppers; Circle of the Earth, and the Inhathat stretcheth out the Heavens as a Curtain, and fpreadeth them our as a Tent to dwell in; all NA
the Body, the Church: who is the Beginning, the Firstborn from the Dead; that in all Things he might have the Pre-eminence.
19. For it pleased the Father, that in him fhould all FULNESS dwell.
Chap. ii. 9. For in him dwelleth all the FULNFSs of the GODHEAD bodily.
Heb. i. 1. GOD who at fundry Times, and in divers Manners, fpake in Time past unto the Fathers by the Prophets,
2. Hath in these laft Days fpoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed Heir of all Things, by whom alfo he MADE the WORLDS.
TIONS before him are as NOTHING.
Chap. liv. s. For thy MAKER is thine HUSBAND, (the LORD of HOSTS is his Name;) and thy Redeemer the HOLY ONE of Ifrael, the GOD of the whole EARTH fhall he be called.
Jerem. xxiii. 5. Behold, the Days come, faith the LORD, that I will raife unto David a righteous Branch, and a KING fhall reign and profper, and fhall execute JUDGMENT and JUSTICE in the Earth.
6. In his Days Judah fhall be SAVED, and Ifrael fhall dwell fafely and this is his Name whereby OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. he fhall be called, THE I.ÖRD
Ifaiah xxxv. 4. Say to them that are of a fearful Heart, Be STRONG, fear not; behold, your Gou will
come with Vengeance, even GOD with a Recompence, he will come and SAVE you.
5. Then the Eyes of the BLIND the DEAF fhall be unstopped. fhall be opened, and the Ears of
6. Then fhall the LAME Man
leap as an Hart, and the Tongue of the DUMB fing.
3. Who being the BRIGHT NESS of his GLORY, and the exprefs IMAGE of his PER SON, and UPHOLDING Things by the WORD of his POWER, when he had himfelf PURGED our Sins, fat down on the right Hand of the MAJESTY on high 4. Being made fo much better than the Angels, as he hath by Inheritance obtained a more excellent Name than they.
5. For unto which of the Angels faid he at any time, Thou art my Son, this Day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a FATHER, and he fhall be to me a Son?
6. And again, when he bringeth in the Firft-begotten into the World, he faith, And let all the ANGELS of God WORSHIP him.
7. And of the Angels he faith, Who maketh his Angels Spirits, and his Minifters a Flame of Fire.
8. But unto the SoN he faith,* Thy THRONE, O God, is for EVER and EVER; a SCEPTRE of RIGHTEOUS
* Pfalm xlv. 6, 7.
NESS is the SCEPTRE of thy KINGDOM:
9. Thou haft loved Righteoufnefs, and hated Iniquity; therefore God, even thy God hath anointed thee with the Oil of Gladnefs above thy Fellows.
10. And thou, LORD, in the Beginning haft laid the Foundations of the EARTH; and the HEAVENS are the Works of thy Hands.
11. They fhall PERISH, but thou REMAINEST: they fhall wax old as doth a Garment.
12. And as a Vesture fhalt thou fold them up, and they fhall be changed: but thou art the fame, and thy Years fhall not fail.
13. But to which of the ANGELS faid he at any time, Sit on my right Hand, until I make thine Enemies thy Footstool?
14. Are they not all miniftring Spirits, fent forth to minifter for them who fhall be Heirs of Salvation ?
Rev. i. 8. I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, faith the LORD, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the ALMIGHTY,
II. As the COMING of the MESSIAH was foretold by all the Prophets; fo before and after his Birth, he was made known to the World by the Appearance of ANGELS, by VOICES from Heaven, and by divers Signs and Miracles.
1. The Angel Gabriel appears to Zacharias, when be was offering Incense in the Temple.
Luke AND there appeared Malachi Behold, I will fend my
i. II. unto him an ANGEL of the LORD, ftanding on the right fide of the Altar of Incenfe.
12. And when Zacharias faw him, he was troubled, and Fear fell
iii. I. MESSENGER, and he
prepare the Way before me: and the LORD whom ye feek, fhall fuddenly COME to his Temple; even the MESSENGER of the COVENANT, whom ye delight in behold, he fhall come, faith the LORD of Hosts..
13. But the Angel faid unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy Prayer is heard, and thy Wife Elifabeth fhall bear thee a Son, and thou fhalt call his Name John. 16. And many of the Children of Ifrael fhall he turn to the LORD their GOD.
17. And the fhall go before him in the SPIRIT and POWER of Elias.
Dan. vii. 13. I faw in the NightVisions; and behold, one like unto the Son of MAN came with the Clouds of Heaven, and came to the ANCIENT of DAYS, and they brought him near before him.
14. And there was given him DOMINION and GLORY, and a KINGDOM, that all People, Nations, and Languages fhould SERVE him: his DOMINION is an EVER
LASTING DOMINION, which fhall not pafs away, and his KINGDOM that which fhall not be destroyed.
Mal. iv. 5. † Behold, I will fend you Elijah the Prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful Day of the LORD:
of the Fathers to the Children, and
6. And he fhall turn the Heart the Heart of the Children to their Fathers.
2. The Angel Gabriel appears to the Blessed Virgin.
Luke i. 26. And the Angel Gabriel was fent from GOD, unto a City of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27. To a Virgin whofe Name was Mary.
28. And the ANGEL came in unto her, and faid, Hail thou that art highly favoured, the LORD is with thee: Bleffed art thou among Women.
30. And the Angel faid unto her, FEAR not, Mary: for thou haft found Favour with God.
31. And behold, thou fhalt conceive in thy Womb, and bring forth a Son, and fhalt call his Name JESUS.
32. He fhall be great, and fhall be called the Son of the HIGHEST; and the Lord GOD fhall give unto him the Throne of his Father David.
33. And he fhall reign over the Houfe of Jacob for EVER, and of his KINGDOM there fhall be no END.
3. An Hoft of Angels appears to the Shepherds, who from Heaven proclaim the glad Tidings of the Gospel.
Luke ii. 8. And there were in the fame Country Shepherds abiding in the Field, keeping Watch over their Flock by Night.
9. And lo, the ANGEL of the LORD came upon them, and the GLORY of the LORD fhone round about them, and they were fore afraid.
10. And the Angel faid unto them, Fear not: for behold, I bring you GOOD TIDINGS of great Joy, which fhall be to all People.
11. For unto you is born this Day, in the City of David, a SAVIOUR, which is CHRIST the LORD.
13. And fuddenly there was with the Angel a Multitude of the HEAVENLY HOST PRAISING GOD, and faying, 14. GLORY to God in the higheft, and on Earth PEACE, Good Will towards Men.
4. By the Appearance of a
Matt. ii. 1. Now when
Fefus was born in Bethlebem of Judea in the Days of Herod the King, behold, there came Wife Men from the Eaft to Jerufalem,
2. Saying, Where is he that is born KING of the Jews? for we have feen his I Star in the Eaft, and are come to worship him.
Herein the Prophecy of
Numb. xxiv. 15. And he took up his Parable, and faid, Balaam the Son of Beor hath faid, and the Man whole Eyes are open, hath faid:
16. He hath faid, which heard the Words of GOD, and knew the Knowledge of the MOST HIGH, which faw the Vifion of the Almighty, falling into a Trance, but having his Eyes open :
17. I fhall fee him, but not now:
fhall behold him, but not nigh: There fhall come a STAR out of Jacob, and a SCEPTRE fhall rife out of Ifrael.
Ifai. Ix. 3. And the Gentiles fhall come to thy LIGHT, and KINGS to the Brightness of thy Rifing.
5. At his Baptifm.
Matt. iii. 16. And Jefus when he was Baptized, went up ftraightway out of the Water; and lo, the Heavens were opened unto him, and he faw the SPIRIT of GOD defcending like a Dove, and lighting upon him.
17. And lo, a VOICE from Heaven, faying, This is my BELOVED SON, in whom I am well PLEASED.
6. At his Transfiguration.
Matt.xvii. 5. While he yet 2 Pet. i. 16. For we have not fpake, a bright Cloud over- when we made known unto you followed cunningly devifed Fables,