« AnteriorContinuar »
14. Having Eyes full of Adultery, and that cannot ceafe from Sin; beguiling UNSTABLE Souls, an Heart they have exercifed with COVETOUs Practices; curfed Children:
15. Which have fortaken the right Way, and are gone aftray; following the Way of Balaam the Son of Bojor, who loved the WAGES of Unrighteoufnels.
17. Thefe are Wells without Water, Clouds that are carried with a Tempelt, to whom the Mift of DARKNESS is referved for
21. Not (k) every one that faith unto me, LORD, LORD, fhall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven: but he that doth the WILL of my Father which is in Heaven.
22. Many will fay to me in that Day, LORD, LORD, have we not prophefied in thy Name? and in thy Name have caft out Devils? and in thy Name done many wonderful Works?
23. And then will I profefs unto them, I never knew you: DEPART from me, ye that WORK INIQUITY.
24. Therefore whofoever heareth thefe Sayings of mine, and doth them, I will liken him unto a wife Man which BUILT his House upon a Rock:
25. And the Rain defcended, and the Floods came, and the Winds blew, and beat upon that Houfe: and it fell not, for it was founded upon a Rock.
26. And every one that heareth thefe Sayings of mine, and doth them not, fhall be likened unto a foolish Man which built his Houfe upon the Sand
27. And the Rain defcended, and the Floods came, and the Winds blew, and beat upon that Houfe: and it fell, and great was the Fall of it.
28. And it came to pafs when Fefus had ended thefe Sayings, the People were aftonished at his Doctrine.
29. For he taught them as one having Authority, and not as the Scribes.
(k) Deut. v. 32. Ye fhall obferve to do therefore as the Lord your God hath COMMANDED you: you fhall not turn afide to the right Hand, or to the left.
1 Sam. xv. 22. And Samuel faid, Hath the Lord as great delight in Burnt-offerings and Sacrifices, as in obeying the Voice of the Lord? Behold, to OBEY is better than Sacrifice; and to hearken, than the Fat of Rams.
Pfal. 1. 7. Hear, O my People, and I will fpeak; O Ifracl, and I will teftify against thee: I am GoD, even thy GOD.
14. Offer unto God Thanksgiving, and pay thy Vows unto the mott High.
15. And call upon me in the Day of Trouble; I will deliver thee, and thou fhalt glorify me.
16. But unto the WICKED God faith, What haft thou to do to declare my Statutes, or that thou fhouldft take my COVENANT in thy Mouth?
22. Now confider this, ye that forget God, left I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.
23. Whofo offereth PRAISE, glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his CONVERSATION aright, will I fhew the SALVATION of God.
Pf. cxix. 5. O that my Ways were directed to keep thy Sta
6. Then fhall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy COMMANDMENTS.
7. I will praife thee with UPRIGHTNESS of Heart, when I fhall have learned thy righteous Judgments.
Prov. xxviii. 9. He that turneth away his Ear from hearing the Law, even his Prayer fhall be Abomination.
Jer. vii. 21. Thus faith the LORD of HOSTS,
23. Obey my Voice, and I will be your GoD, and ye shall be my People: and WALK ye in all the Ways that I have combe well unto you. MANDED you, that it
Rom. ii. 13. For not the HEARERS of the LAW are just before God, but the DOERS of the LAW fhall be justified. ye DOERS of the WORD, and not HEARJames i. 22. But be ERS only, deceiving your own felves.
23. For if any be a HEARER of the WORD, and not a DOER, he is like unto a Man beholding his natural Face in a Glass :
24. For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and ftraitway forgetteth what manner of Man he was.
1 John ii. 3. And hereby we do know that we KNOW him, if we keep his COMMANDMENTS.
4. He that faith, I KNOW him, and keepeth not his COMMANDMENTS, is a Lyar, and the Truth is not in him.
5. But whofo KEEPETH his WORD, in him verily is the Love of GoD perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
Rev. xxii. 14. Bleffed are they that Do his COMMANDMENTS, that they may have Right to the Tree of Life, and through the Gates into the City.
CHRIST's Difcourfe with Nicodemus, of the Neceffity of being born again, by the fanctifying and enlightning Influences of the HOLY GHOST.
To which is annex'd,
The Defcription of the NEW COVENANT, or COVENANT of GRACE, in the Old and New Teftament.
John iii. I.
HERE was a Man of the Pharifees, named Nicodemus, a Ruler of the Jews:
2. The fame came to Jefus by Night, and faid unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a Teacher come from God: for no Man can do thefe Miracles which thou doft, except God be with him.
3. Jefus anfwered and faid unto him, Verily, verily I fay unto thee, Except a Man be born again, he cannot fee the Kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus faith unto him, How can a Man be born when he is old? Can he enter the fecond time into his Mother's Womb, and be born?
5. Jefus answered, Verily, verily I fay unto thee, Except (a) a Man be born of WATER, and of the SPIRIT, he cannot enter into the KINGDOM of GOD.
(a) Deut. xxx. 6. The Lord thy God will circumcife thine HEART, and the Heart of thy Seed, to LOVE the LORD thy God with all thine HEART, and with all thy SOUL, that thou mayft live.
Pfalm li. 10. CREATE in me a clean HEART, O God, and RENEW a right SPIRIT within me.
11. Caft me not away from thy Prefence; and take not thy HOLY SPIRIT from me.
6. That which is born of the Flesh, is Flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit, is Spirit.
7. Marvel not that I faid unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8. The Wind bloweth where it lifteth, and thou hearest the Sound thereof, but can't not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth; fo is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9. Nicodemus answered and faid unto him, How can thefe Things be?
10. Jefus anfwered and faid unto him, Art thou a Maf ter of Ifrael, and knoweft not these Things?
11. Verily, verily I fay unto thee, We fpeak that we do know, and teftify that we have feen; and ye receive not our Witness.
12. If I have told you earthly Things, and ye BELIEVE not, how shall ye believe if I tell you of heavenly Things?
12. Reftore unto me the Joy of thy SALVATION and uphold me with thy FREE SPIRIT.
Ifai. xlii. 6. I the Lord have called thee in Righteousness, and will hold thine Hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a COVENANT of the People, for a LIGHT of the Gentiles.
7. To open the BLIND Eyes, to bring out the Prifoners from the Prison, and them that fit in Darknefs out of the Prifon-house. Ezek. xi. 19. And I will give them ONE HEART, and I will put a new SPIRIT within you; and I will take the STONY HEART out of their Flesh, and will give them an Heart of Flesh :
zo. That they may WALK in my Statutes, and keep mine Ordinances, and do them and they fhall be my People, and I will be their GoD.
2 Cor. v. 14. For the Love of Christ constraineth us, becaufe we thus judge, that if one DYED for all, then were all dead:
15. And that he DIED for all, that they which LIVE, fhould not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rofe again.
17. Therefore if any Man be in Chrift, he is a NEW CREATURE: OLD Things are paffed away, behold all Things are be
Rom. vi. 3. Know ye not, that fo many of us as were baptized into Jefus Chrift, were baptized into his Death?
4. Therefore we are buried with him by BAPTISM into Death: that like as Christ was raifed up from the Dead by the Glory of the Father, even fo we alfo fhould walk in NEWNESS OF LIFE.
Chap. viii. 1. There is therefore now no Condemnation to them which are in Chrift Jefus, who walk not after the FLESH, but after the SPIRIT.
2. For the Law of the SPIRIT of LIFE, in Chrift Jefus, hath made me free from the Law of SIN and DEATH.
3. For what the Law could not do, in that it was weak through the Flesh, God fending his own Son in the Likeness of finful Flefh, and for SIN condemned SIN in the Flesh:
4. That the Righteoufnefs of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the FLESH, but after the SPIRIT.
Gal. vi. 15. For in Chrift Jefus neither Circumcifion nor Uncircumcifion availeth any thing, but a NEW CREATURE.
Ephef. ii. 4. But GoD, who is rich in Mercy, for his great Love wherewith he loved us,
5. Even when we were DEAD in SINS, hath QUICKNED US together with Chrift, (by GRACE ye are faved)
6. And hath raifed us up together, and made us fit together in heavenly Places in Chrift Jefus.
7. That in the Ages to come he might fhew the exceeding RICHES of his GRACE, in his Kindness towards us, thro' Chrift Jefus
8. For by GRACE are ye faved, through FAITH: and that not your felves; it is the GIFT of GOD:
9. Not of WORKS, left any Man fhould FOAST:
10. For we are his WORKMANSHIP, created in Chrift Jefus unto good Works, which God hath before ordained that we fhould walk in them.
Titus iii. 4. But after that the KINDNESS and Love of God our Saviour toward Man appeared,
5. Not by Works of RIGHTEOUSNESS, which we have done, but according to his MERCY he faved us by the washing of REGENERATION, and renewing of the HOLY GHOST;
6. Which he shed on us abundantly, through Jefus Christ our
7. That being juftified by his Grace, we fhould be made Heirs according to the Hope of Eternal LIFE.
Jer. xxxi. 31. Behold, the Days come, faith the Lord, that I will make a NEW COVENANT with the Houfe of Ifrael, and with the Houfe of Judah.
Heb. viii. 6. But now hath he obtained a more excellent Minif try, by how much alfo he is the MEDIATOR of a better CoveNANT, which was established upon better PROMISES.
7. For if that first Covenant had been faultlefs, then should no Place have been fought for the second.
10. For this is the COVENANT that I will make with the Houfe of Ifrael after thofe Days, faith the Lord; I will PUT my LAWS into their MIND, and WRITE them in their HEARTS: and I will be to them a GOD, and they fhall be to me a People.
11. And they fhall not teach every Man his Neighbour, and every Man his Brother, faying, KNow the Lord: for all fhall know me, from the leaft to the greatest.
12. For I will be MERCIFUL to their Unrighteousness, and their SINS and their INIQUITIES will I remember no more.