« AnteriorContinuar »
44. Cornelius and his Friends being convinced of the Truth of Peter’s Discourse, God was pleased to confirm them more fully in it, by immediately conferring the
miraculous Powers of the Holy Ghost upon them, par-
46. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnified God. Then answered Peter,
47. Then Peter appealed to them, whether this was not a clear Evidence, that God intended these Men the Blesfings of the Gospel-Covenant; and that they might and ought to be baptized
47. Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the holy Ghost, as well as we ?
into the Christian Profession ?
48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
* Ver. 48. From St. Peter's baptizing these Converts, any Person may see the monstrous Error of the Quakers, in af
firming, That Water-Baptism is unnecessary to such as have the Holy Ghoff.
I. HE Account of Cornelius A. D. 40. and his Friends Conver- Q-
4. Upon which Peter shewed them the express Authority he had from God for it, by telling them the whole Transaction.
5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10. *How he was commanded to eat of clean and
1. A N D the apo-
thren that were in Ju-
4. But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, say
* For the full Paraphrase of these Verses, from the 5th to the 16th, see Chap. x.
8. But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth. 9. But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. 10. And this was done three times: and all were drawn up
again into heaven. 11. And beholdimmediately there were three men already come into the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto