« AnteriorContinuar »
The shudd'ring rocks their heads recline,
When the Creator fell.
To quench our parching thirst:
And laud thy precious Christ.
69. A dying Saviour. STRETCH'd on the cross, the Saviour dies; Hark! his expiring groans arise ! See, from his hands, his feet, his side, Runs down the sacred crimson tide! But life attends the deathful sound, And flows from ev'ry bleeding wound; The vital stream how free it flows, To save and cleanse his rebel foes ! To suffer in the traitor's place, To die for man, surprising grace! Yet pass rebellious angels by;. O why for man, dear Saviour, why?) And didst thou bleed, for sinners bleed ? And could the sun behold the deed ? . No, he withdrew his sickening ray, And darkness veil'd the mourning day,
Can I survey this scene of woe,
Come, dearest Lord, thy grace impart,
'Twas on that dark, that doleful night,
When pow'rs of earth and hell arose Against the Son of God's delight,
And friends betray'd him to his foes.
Before the mournful scene began,,
He took the bread, and bless'd, and brake: What love thro' all his actions ran !
What wond'rous words of grace he spake!
- This is my body, broke for sin;
• Receive and eat the living food.' Then took the cup, and bless'd the wine;
• This the new cov'nant in my blood : · Do this (he cry'd) till time shall end,
In memry of your dying friend; * Meet at my table, and record
• The love of your departed Lord',
76. Godly Sorrow at the Cross. ALAS ! and did my Saviour bleed ?..
And did my Soy'reign die? 'ulai Would he devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I? ** Was it for crimes that I had done
He groan'd upon the tree? ::. Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!:,:..4.. Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
For man the creature's sina : 4:53. Thus might I hide my blushing faces
While his dear cross appears,'. Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears. ; But drops of grief can ne'er repay ili
The debt of love I owe: its Here, Lord, I give myself away; it, i' · 'Tis all that I can do.
.677Calvary.. LAMB of God, whose bleeding love sia
We now recal to mind, Send the answer from above,
And let us mercy find:
Think on us, who think on thee, i..
And ev'ry hurthen'd soul release: O remember Calvary,..
And bid us go in peace. By thine agonizing pain,
And bloody sweat, we pray,
Take all our sins away;
From all iniquity release: :,
The sinner's pardon seal;
And all our sickness heal; .
Bid all our griefs and troubles cease ;
'Till thou our wants relieve, Write salvation on our heart,
And all our sins forgive;
While passing through this wilderness,
THE RESURRECTION AND ASCEN
·SION OF CHRIST. 1.)
78. Sabbath-day. AWAKE, our drowsy souls, owsy souls,
H Shake off each slothful band, Dri, The wonders of this day.
At thy approaching dawn s iin!
Its dark domains confin'd: 16 brzina
All hail, triumphant Lord,
Thy praise responsive sings :