« AnteriorContinuar »
PUBLISHED BY JONES AND CO.
TEMPLE OF THE MUSES (Late Lackington's), FINSBURY SQUARE;
AND MAY BE HAD OF ALL BOOKSELLERS.
MARY E. HAVEN
CORRECTLY AND BEAUTIFULLY PRINTED
At the University Press,
And Embellished with elegant Engravings on Steel,
Comprising in only 5 Octavo Vols., the whole 45 Vols. of other Editions, and at prices calculated to induce all classes to become purchasers,
THE BRITISH ESSAYISTS,
Comprising in 5 Vols. 8vo., the 45 Vols. of other Editions, and presenting vast saving of expense, both in the works and binding.
19 Adventures of the Tatler's Guardian Angel,
14. Character of Verus-Earl of Essex and Al-
chymist-Dumb Fortune-teller and Wi-
15. Story of Pacolet-Gamesters-Pleasure
16. Characters at Bath-Letter to Castabella
17. On Panegyric-Naked Truth criticised......
18. On Signs: (probably)......
Dramatic News and Criticism......
21. Characters of a Gentleman and a Pretty Fel-
low-The Fox-Dramatic Writers of the
last and present Age-Letter on Mr. Bick-
erstaff's Prophecy of his Death-Witch-
2. Cynthia in Love-Lindamira's Lovers-Cave
Underhill-Young Lady in Love with a
23. Cure for Fits in Married Ladies-Letter to
24. Character of a very Pretty Fellow-A Toast.. Addison. V
Continental Intelligence-Lines to the French
25. On Duelling-Advice generally unwelcome-
26. Letter from a Pretty Fellow-froin Louis
27. Character of a Rake-a Coquette-Verses on
a Parrot-Letter from Jeffry Nicknack-
28. On Duelling-Continental Intelligence
29. Letter from Tim. Switch on Duelling-Cri-
tics and Wits-Continental Intelligence..
Character of the Author's three Nephews-
33. Mrs. Jenny Distaff on the Treatment of the
Fair Sex-Attempts to seduce her-Conti-
34. Cures performed by the Author-Saltero's
Family of X's: (probably)
36. Mrs. Jenny Distaff-Characters at, Epsom-
37. On the Fox-hunter's Speech-Cæsar to his
44. Esculapius in Love with Hebe-Sale of the
Play-house Articles-Humourous Com-
45. Story of Teraminta-Puppet-shows-Scene
39. Oxford and its Almanack-Dialogue on Duels
40. Cure of Lunaticks-On Love and Marriage..
41. Exercise at Arms-Character of a Questioner
-The Author accused of Personalities.....
New System of Philosophy.............................. ..... Addison.
79. Story of Pætas and Arria-Want of Earnest-
ness in the Pulpit-Favonius-Decision of
73. Letter from Monoculus, and Answer..
Account of a Club of Gamesters..........
Election for Queenhithe Ward....
74. Letter from a Lover-Letter on the Tendency
of satirical Characters-Table of Fame--
Miss Jenny's Marriage-Choice of Matches
in the Bickerstaff family...... Addison and Steele.
6. Errors of Good-nature-Complaint of Love-
Continental Intelligence-Notice to a young
7 Affectation of Faults and Imperfections-
Original Letter from Marshal Boufflers-
78. Letters soliciting Places at the Table of Fame
-Character of Hippocrates-Advertise-
ment and Notice to Correspondents.....
79. Advice to married Persons-Mrs. Jenny's
Wedding-dinner-Notice of a Pamphlet..
80. Exorbitant Price of Books-Letters from a
splenetic Gentleman-From a Limper-
81. Vision of the Table of Fame.. ............... Addison.
2. Story of the Cornish Lovers-Of a Lover who
91, Maria's Visit-A Case of Love and Envy-
Impertinence of Nic Doubt-Play-house
-Scene of a true and feigned Poet....
(92 On Praise with Exceptions-Libellers-Re-
commendation of Charles Lillie........
93. Letter from Switzerland-Remarks on Tra-
velling-Fools not to be exported-The Au-
thor's Precautions against Assaults.......Addison.
94. Story of Clarinda and Chloe-Recommend-
ation of Mr. Lillie-Notices of an Alman-
os. Scene of Domestic Felicity..
96. Every worthless Man a dead Man-Pecu-
liarities of Dress-Game killed by the
French King-Charles Lillie.....
97. Hercules courted by Pleasure and Virtue,
98. Letter from a Woman in Love-Impressive
99.) Advantages from having but one Theatre-
Attack and Expulsion of Divito-Remon-
100. Goddess of Justice distributing Rewards...Addison.
102. Continuance of the Vision of the Goddess of
104. Happiness, how secured in the married State Steele.
105, History of Will Rosin-Art of Knocking....
106. Catalogue of Poetical Stock-Criticism on a
Passage in Hamlet-Surrender of Mr. Jef-
107. Case of a Lover tormented by a Coquette...
Nature-Errors of the French Writers... Addison.
109. Fashionable Visiting-Notice from the Up-
110. Court of Judicature of the Dead in Reason
111. On the Prevalence of Irreligious Principles
112. Amusements and Relaxations of great Men
Petition of William Jingle, Coach-maker-
Addison and Steele.
195. Characters of a Prude and Coquette-Story
127. On Pride, as affecting the Reason.........
128. Letter from a Fortune-hunter-From a de-
19. Dutch satirical Pictures-Letter from Pas-
150 Superiority of Great Britain in the number
of eminent Characters-Estcourt's Benefit
151. Trial of the Wine-brewers.....
139. Characters of the Members of the Club at
153. On Silence-Instances of its Significancy.. Addison.
134. Transmigration of Souls-Petition of Job
Chanticleer-Cruelty to Animals.....
135. Distinction between Ancient and Modern
Free-thinkers-The latter how to be treat-
ed-Anecdote of a French Officer......
136. History of Tom Varnish-Petitioners for the
Various abuses of Speech-Swearing-De-
parture of the Duke of Marlborough, &c.
138. Deference to the Opinion of the World
-Gyges' Ring-Actions of Public Spirits
139. Women more improveable than Men-On
Courtship-The Author's Discoveries by
140. Letters on a charitable Provision for poor
Boys-Cicero's Defence of Archias-Use
of the Term, Madam - Indecorums at
Church-From an Inquisitive Lady....
141. Education of Girls-Whetters - Noisy
Neighbours-Letter from a Valentine-
Petition of the Inhabitants of Gotham..
142. Political Anxiety-Recommendation
143/Sister Jenny appears in her own Chariot-
The Author's Letter to her Husband-
. Provision for Pastorals-Public Impostors
144. Prevalence of Extravagance and Show-
Change of Manners in Scotland....
145. Complaint against the Oglers-Angel at the
46. Various Cases of Complainers-Dream of Ju-
147. Juno's method to regain Jupiter's Affection
148. On the Diet of the Metropolis-Pernicious
149. Ill-natured Husbands-Three
Pliny to his Wife-Passage from Milton.. Steele.
150. Matrimonial Quarrels-Characters of an Af-
151. Effects of a general Mourning-Passion for
159. Homer's Description of a future State...... Addison.
153. Characters in Conversatiou described as In-
134. Virgil's Allegory and Ideas of a future State-
155. Character of the Upholsterer-A great Poli-
156. Visit of Telemachus to the other World....
157. Account of a female Concert-Matches pro-
between the Music of both Sexes...
8. Pedantry of Tom Folio, the Book-broker...
159. Vindication of Marriage against the Wits-
Passages from Cicero's Letters....
160. A Visit and Letter from the Upholster- Addison.
Letter from a Coquette, and from Tom
161. Dream of the Region of Liberty..
169. Duty of a Censor-How performed by the
63. Critical reading of Ned Softly's Poetry....
164. Remarks on the Author's various Correspon-
dents-Story of an old Soldier....
5. On the Impertinence of Criticism-Cha-
167. Funeral and Character of Mr. Betterton the
168. Characters of Impudence and Absurdity-
Education of the Jesuits-Petition of
169. On the Evils of Drinking-Character of a
Country Gentleman - Letter from F.
170. Vicissitudes of human Life-Visit to the
Lottery Office-Advertisement of a Heart
Steele. 209. Scene between Alexander the Great and his
192. Characters in a Stage-coach-Anecdote of
two Ladies and their Husbands, Passen-
193, The Author's Politics-Affairs of the Stage
-Letter from Downes the Prompter... Steele.
194. Passage from Spenser transposed........
195. Letter on the Author's Politics-Orders to
196. On the Behaviour of Patrons to their Depen-
197. Account of Epistolæ obseurorum virorum
-Passion for being thought a Scholar ...
199. Remarks on the same-On Marriage Settle-
ments Specimen of a Contract...
200. Letter from a Lady in Doubt between two
Lovers-Plan for raising the Fortunes of
201. Faults of the Women attributable to the
Men-Letters from Lovers-Benefit Plays
-Advertisement from the Trumpet....
202. On unreasonable Expectations-On Heroic
Actions in private Life-Lottery....
203. Account of the Drawing of the Lottery-
Letter from the Owner of a Green-house.
204. Improper manner of Address-Character of
206. On Esteem-Character of Jack Gainly, and
his Sister Gatty-Of Flavia and Lucia..... Steele.
207. Conduct of the Author's three Nephews to
a Female Visitor-Character of a Gentle-
man-Letter from a Lottery Adventurer..
208. On injudicious civil People-Character of
215. Account of a Flatterer-And a common Jes-
ter-Case of a Widow-Petition of the
216 Taste of the Virtuosi-Legacy of a Virtuoso