« AnteriorContinuar »
1 Forasmuch as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold or silver, or stone graven by art of man's devices.
HE IS GREATER THAN ALL THINGS.
Who is so great a god as our God? * Thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.
* The Lord our God is God of gods, and Lord of lords.
• He is far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come.
• The Lord is greater than all gods, and he is to be feared above all gods: for all the gods of the nations are idols; but the Lord made the heavens.
God is greater than man. It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers.
Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance : all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing before him; and ey are counted to him as less than nothing, and vanity.
Who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed to him again?
GOD IS A SPIRIT.
10 God is a Spirit.
1 Acts xvii. 29.
3 Psal. lxxxiii, 18. 4 Deut. x. 17. 5 Eph. j. 21.
6 Exod. xviii. 11. Psal. xcvi. 4, 5. 7 Job xxxiii. 12. Isa. xl. 22.
8 Isa. xl. 15. Dan. iv. 35. Isa. xl. 17.
9 Rom. xi. 35.
10 John iv. 24.
· He is invisible; whom no‘man hath seen, nor can see at any time: neither hath any man heard his voice at any time, or seen his shape.
* The Lord he is the eternal God, who liveth for ever and ever.
Before the day was, before the mountains were brought forth, or ever he had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, he is God.
He is the first and the last : he is Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending; which is, and which was, and which is to come.
* His goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting; and his years are throughout all generations.
• He is the living God, and steadfast for ever.
7 He is the immortal and everlasting King; and his throne remaineth from generation to generation. * He only hath immortality.
The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under the heavens; but the Lord shall endure for ever.
10 His days are not as the days of man; neither can the number of his years be searched out.
11 One day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
1 Heb. xi. 27. 1 Tim. vi. 16. John i. 18. John v. 37. 2 Deut. xxxiii. 27. Rev. iv. 9.
3 Isa. xliii. 13. Psal. xc. 2. 4 Rev, i. 17, 18.
5 Micah v. 2. Psal. cii. 24. vi. 26.
71 Tim. i. 17. Jer. x. 10. Lam. v. 19. 81 Tim. vi. 16. 9 Jer. x. 11. Psal. ix. 7.
10 Job x. 5. Job vi. 26.
11 2 Pet. iii. 8.
'God is the same yesterday, to day, and for ever.
· He is the incorruptible God; with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
Thus saith the Lord of Hosts, I am the Lord, I change not; I am that I am; this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
* There are indeed diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all; whose counsel standeth for ever, and the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
Whatsoever God doth, it shall be for ever; nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it; and God doth it that men should fear before him.
The earth and the heavens shall perish ; but thou, O Lord, remainest. They all shall wax old, as doth a garment, and as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed; but thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.
PRESENT EVERY WHERE.
? He filleth all in all.
The heaven, and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee, O God.
'Whither shall I go from thy Spirit, O Lord? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there : if I make
bed in hell, behold thou art there : if I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
1 Heb. xiii. 8.
3 Mal. iii. 5, 6. Exod. iii. 14, 15.
41 Cor. xii. 6. Psal. xxxiii. 11. ó Eccles. iii. 14.
6 Heb. i. 10, 11, 12. Psal. cii. 27. 7 Eph. i. 23. $ 1 Kings viii. 27. 9 Psal. cxxxix. 7, 8, 9, 10. 9 Job
? Can it be said of the Lord, that he is God of the hills, but he is not God of the valleys ?
* Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places, that I shall not see him ? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.
THE HAPPINESS OF GOD.
• He is the blessed God who is for ever happy.
* In his presence is fulness of joy, and at his right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Can a man be profitable unto God? Or is it gain to him that thou makest thy way perfect? Thy wickedness may hurt a man as thou art, and thy righteousness may profit the son of man: but if thou sinnest, what dost thou against him? Or if thy transgressions be multiplied, what dost thou unto him ? And if thou be righteous, what givest thou him? or what receiveth he of thy hand ?
• Thy goodness extendeth not to him.
? The Lord is a God of knowledge and judgment.
* He is perfect in knowledge, and knoweth all things; his understanding is infinite.
God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 10 The Spirit of God knoweth the deep things of God.
11 Kings xx. 28.
31 Tim. i. 11. 4 Psal. xvi. 11.
5 Job xxii. 2, 3. Job xxxv. 6, 7, 8. « Psalm. xvi. 2.
71 Sam. ii. 3. Isa. xxx. 18. Xxxvi. 4. 1 John iii. 20. Psal. cxlvii. 5.
91 John i. 5. 10 1 Cor. ii. 11. 10.
· Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world; neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight; but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
He looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven, the eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
3 Hell and destruction are before the Lord: He seeth in secret: and the darkness hideth not from him.
* He declareth the former things, and he sheweth things which must be hereafter: He declareth the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done. He revealeth secrets, and maketh known what shall be in the latter days. Times are not hidden from the Almighty.
5 Behold, saith the Lord, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare. Before they spring forth I tell you of them.
* Interpretations belong to God.
?The Lord beholdeth all the sons of men ; from the place of his habitation he looketh upon all the inhabitants of the earth; he considereth all their works.
of the Lord are always upon us, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year.
· The Lord hearkeneth and heareth, and a book of remembrance is written before him.
Acts xv. 18. Heb. iv. 13.
- 2 Job xxviii. 24. Prov. xv. 3. 3 Prov. xv. ll. Matt. vi. 18. Psal. cxxxix. 12. 4 Isa. xlviii. 3. Rev. iv. 1. Isa. xlvi. 10. Dan. ii. 28. Job xxiv, 1. 5 Isa. xlii. 9.
6 Gen. xl. 8. 7 Psal. xxxiii. 13, 14, 15. 8 Deut. xi. 12 9 Mal. iii. 16.