« AnteriorContinuar »
3. He is called our Surety; Heb. vii. 22. who
being bound for us, paid in our Stead what
the Law required of us. 4. Christ's whole Obedience was only upon
our Account and for our Sakes, Gal. iv. 4, s. So tliat by his Obedience the Law is perfe&ly
fulfilled in us, Rom. viii. 3, 4. 2. We are made Righteous by Christ, as Sin
ners by Adam inherently. 1. He mortifies our Sins, 1 Fohn iii. 8. A&ts iiis
26. i John i. 7,92 2. He gives Repentance, Aets v. 31. 3. He lanctifies our whole Natures, and makes
us Holy, i Cor. i. 30. 1 Cor. vi. 11. Eph. V.
25, 26, 27. 4. He enables us to do good Works, Fob.xv. 45.
Tit. ii. 14. Phil. iv. 11, 12, 13.
USE. 1. Thank GOD for Chrift. 2. Put your whole Trust in him, only for
Grace as well as Pardon. 3. Let it be your greač Care to be in the
Number of those who are made Righteous
in Christ in believing in him. 4. Live as becometh such righteous Persons.
ACT8 xvi. 31. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and
thou sbalt be saved. TW WO Things required to a true Faith in
. That we believe all the Articles of our Christian Faith.
And particularly that concerning Christ we believe; 1. That he is the Lord, Kuert, Luk. ii. 11.
God, the Supream Being and Governour of the World, Joh. xx. 28. 0717', as 13p73 17171,
Jer. xxiii. 6. 2. That he is the Lord Jesus, Matt. i. 21. the
only true Jesus or Saviour, Aets iv. 12. 3. That he is the Lord Jesus Christ, the Meffiab
promised in the Old Testament, Dan. ix, 25,
26. Matt. xvi. 16. And by Consequence we are to believe,
4. There fitteth at the Right Hand of God, making Intercession for us. s. Is able to save us if we come unto God by
him, Heb. vii. 25. II. That we have a sure Trust and Confidence on God's merciful Promises in Chrift for all Things necessary to make us happy, and that are good for us. Vol. I
1 Jorn iii. 23. And this is his Commandment, That
we should believe on the Name of
his Son Jesus Chrift. HEF
TERE we see the Son of GOD called by
Two Names, Jesus and Christ; the first being the Name of his Person, the fecond of his Office.
1. As to the First, Jesus.
Gabriel before he was born or conceived,
Luke i. 26, 31. c. ii. 21.
Name? Because he was to save us. The '
iii. 17. Acts iv. 12. And that by dying for
us, Rom. V. 8, 9. 1 Pet. i. 18, 19. 2. He alone conferreth it upon us, Heb.vii. 25. Phil. iii. 20, 21. Acts v. 31.
Hence, 1. Truft on him only for Salvation, Tim.ii. 5.
2. Love and Efteem him above all Things, Matt. x. 37. Pbil. iii. 8.
3. Reverence and Adore him, Phil. ii. 9, 10. Ais xix. 13, 15. Heb. i. 6.
4. Rejoyce in him as your Saviour, Luke i. 46, 47. c. ii. 10, Ir.
II. He was called Christ. This great Thing we must believe. For these Things are written that you might believe that Jesus is the Cbrift, Job. xx. 31.
For the opening of this; Consider, 1. God from the Beginning promised Mankind a Saviour, or Jesus, Gen. iii. 15.
2. This Promise was often renewed to the Fathers, and the coming of our Saviour forccold by the Prophets.
3. He was ordinarily called the M. siah; n'we, Dan. ix. 25, 26.
4. Messiah in Hebrew, is the same with Christ in Greek, John i. 41. c. iv. 25.
These Things considered, we shall prove, 1. That Jesus is the Christ or Messiah. 2. Shew, wherefore he was called by that
, . 6; .
. ii. 6. Luke ii. 4.
xxii. 42. Luke ii. 4.
Matt. i. 22.
Matt. xi. 2, 3, 4, f.
12. Matt. xxvi. is. Wounded, pierced,
4. His Resurrection and Ascension, Hof. vi. 2. Pfal.cx. 1. A&ts ii. 34, 36.
5. His Reception in the World, Psal. ii. 8.
cause he was anointed,
John iii. 2.
Eph. V. 2. 3. A King, I Reg. xix. 16. Pfal. ii. 6. Ifa. ix. 6.
Afts v. 31. Eph. i. 20, 21. A&ts x. 38.
USE. 1. Firmly believe this great Truth, that Jesu
is the Cbrit, Aets xvii. 2, 3. Atts xviii. 5, 28.
1 John v. 1. c. ii. 22. 2. Receive him, 1. As your Prophet, obferving what he
hath said, believing what he afferts, truft
ing on what he hath promised. 2. As your Priest, to make Atonement for
you, Rom. viii. 33, 34. 3. As your King, to rule and govern you,
and to subdue Sin and Satan, and all your Spiritual Enemies under you,
1 Fohn iii. 8. 3. Live up to the Profession of this Faith,
Afts xi. 26. 2 Tim. ii. 19.