« AnteriorContinuar »
USE II. Serve God.
DocTRINE II. We should will and chuse the Service of God before all other things.
I. What is it to serve God?
1. Of Soul.
1. By admiring.
5. Trusting on him.
1. In praising.
2. Acting for him.
1. So as to prefer it.
Use. Serve GOD above all things.
DOCTRINE III. We should endeavour that our Families should also serve GOD.
1. By giving them a good Example.
2. Good Instructions. Use. Look to your Families. Consider GOD will call you to an account.
1. To Sin, Rom. vi. 17. 2 Pet. ii. 19.
2. Satan, 2 Tim. ii. 26. 3. Sons of Belial, 1 Sam.ii. 12. Targ. "V\U9
71731. Syr. Houts 2 Chron. xiii.7.qs. 41994, absque juga, rather
4914), absque utilitate, nibili, inn
tilis. 4. Children of the Devil, 1 Fobn iji. 8.
Jobon viii. 44. 2. What contemptible things they are com
pared to. Reprobate Silver, Jer. vi. 30. Smoke, Psa. xxxvii. 20. Stubble, Psa. lxxxiii. 13. a barren Heath, Jer. xvii. 6. Dust, Pfa. i. 4. Dogs, Pfa. xxii. 16.
Hogs, Mattb. vii. 6. 3. What contemptible Businesses they are
employed about ; in Sin, the Devil's
Drudgery. 4. What contemptible Pleasures they are
delighted in: No other than the Plea
sures of Sense, which the Beasts enjoy • as well as Man,.. Nos aper auditu præcellit aranea tałtu,
Vultur odoratu, lynx visu, fomia gustu. is. What contemptible things they are put
off with ; the things of this World, P. xvii. 14.
6. His Magistrates, 2 Pet. ii. 10. Jud. 8.
2 SAM. xxiv. 14. Let us fall now into the Hand of the
Lord. THE Hand of the Lord is in a peculiar man,1 ner seen in the Sickness:
Or, It is the Hand of the Lord, and the Sword of the Lord, i Cbron. xxi. 12. and Hand, Exod. ix. 3.
1. Neg. Not as if it always came immediately from God, for he useth secundary.
1. Supernatural Causes.
II. Pof. But still it is in a peculiar manner from God. Ecce digitus Dei. As appears,
1. In the beginning from such various or no 2. The Poysonous Qualities of all sorts.. 3. Its Contagion, one not another, fometimes rich sometimes poor...
4. Effects, it takes away so many.
Athens. Vefpafian 10000. Indies. Eufeb. 5. Its Attendants. 2. Why does God fend it? for Sin. :: In The Pride of Superiors, 2 Sam. 24.
2. Injustice and Oppression, as in Egypt. 1. 3. Contempt of the Word, Ezek. v. 11,12.
USE. What muft we do?
in God in all Judgnients.
3. Renewed Acts of Faith in Chrift. 2. All Day. 1. Trust in God's Promises, Pf. xi.
2. Frequent Ejaculations.
1. Look up to the Author.
Strengthen your selves with the Thoughts
of the Sting of Death taken out by