« AnteriorContinuar »
III. Why should we defire GOD above all
1. Because he is more desirable than all things,
Luke xviii. 19. Prov. iii. 15. 2. All other things are only desirable for his
fake. 3. He alone can satisfie our desires, Ifa. lv. i.
Psal. xvii. 15: 1. USE. Reproof, to thofe that desire all things
before. GOD. 1. That think of other things more than
GOD, Psal. xviii. 4. 2. That are unwilling to part with any thing
for GOD. 3. That regard not the Ordinances, 4. That make it not their business to seek
after GOD. 2. Exhortation, As Solomon, 1 Kings iii. 9, 11,
1. This is the end why we have desires.
fore GOD, Col. iii. s.
good evidence of Heaven.
8. A good Name.
And manifest that you desire GOD more than these things. 1. By being willing to part with them when
GOD calls for them.
GOD than these things.
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
DOCTRINE. T is our Duty to number our days, Psal. xxxi.
I. What Arithmetical Operations should we perform each Day? 1. Addition. Add each day,
1. To the number of your Graces, 2 Pet. i.
2. To the Degrees of each Gracc, 2 Pet. iii.
1. From the sins of your Souls, col. iii. S.
2. From the strength of your sins. 3. Multiplication. Multiply,
1. Your thoughts of GOD, Psal. cxxxix.
2. Your desires of heaven, Pfal, xlii. 1, 2.
3. Your endeavours after Salvation, 2 Pet.i. 4. Division. Divide, 1. All your days into Holy and Common,
ifa. lviii. 13. 2. Each day betwixt your general and parti
cular Calling 5. The Rule of Proportion. 1. Proportion the Repentance of each Day
to your fins. 2. Your thankfulness to your Mercies, 1 Thef.
II. Directions how to number our days.
1. Caft up your accounts each Night.
not either, Eph. v. 16.
2. Or gotten good. 3. Number the days gone not to come, fam.
. 4. Count every Day the last, Luke xii. 20. s. To substract every Day you have lived
from the whole of your life, that you may live, counting a day less to live.
Job vii. 1. 6. Devote the residue to the Glory of
GOD. 7. The more days you live, the greater
account prepare to give, Ecclef. xii.
14. 8. Count all your days as a Cypher to Eter
nity, Psal. xc. 4. 2 Pet. iii. 8. 9. The fewer days you expect to number, the more diligence use in them.
10. Examine the numbring of your Days
by the ordering of your Lives.
your Hearts to Wisdom
1. You have spent much Time already.
of Judgment, 2 Cor.V. 10.
PSAL. XC. 3.
Thou turneft Man to deftrution, and Sayeft, Return, ye children of men.
1. In our Conditions or Estates, 2 Sam. xix.
43. and xx. I.
OBS. II. The last Turn will be to Deftru&tion. 1. Of the whole Man, consisting in the Se
paration of Soul and Body, Heb. ix. 27.
Fob vii. 1. 2. Of the Body, in its Dissolution into its 3. Of the Soul too (without Repentance
and Faith) in Hell-fire. 1: From GOD's Presence, 2 Tbef. i.9. 2. Its own Conscience, Mark ix.
OBS III. GOD will hereafter bid us return again, 1 Cor.xv. 12, 51. At this our Return í. Our Bodies shall be gathered together,
Mat. xxiv. 31. 2. Our Souls united again to them, Phil. iii.21. 3. Both of them brought before Christ's
Tribunal, Heb. ix. 27. 2 Cor. v. 10. 4. There receive their Sentence, Mat. xxv.
34, 41. 5. And so live together for ever, Mat. xxv.
vii. 29, 30, 31.
By turning, 1. From your selves to Christ, Mat. xi. 29, 2. From Šin to GOD, Ezek. xxxiii. 11, 3, From Earth to Heaven, Pbil. iii. 20.