Imágenes de páginas

Thursday 29, I preached at Newry, and the three following days on Monday, August 2, I returned to Rosmead.

Tuesday 3, We rode to Tullamore through heavy rain, which a strong wind drove full in our faces. The only wild Irish whom I have seen yet, a knot of officers, were present at preaching in the evening, and behaved tolerably well.

Wednesday 4, I preached at Portarlington in the evening, and was going to take horse in the morning, when a gentleman came and said, he was just setting out for Dublin, and would be glad of my company in his chariot. I accompanied him to Johnstown where we dined; and then took horse and rode on to Dublin.

Friday 6, On this and the next day I finished my business in Ireland, so as to be ready to sail at an hour's warning.

Sunday 8, We were to sail, the wind being fair; but as we were going aboard, it turned full east. I find it of great use to be in suspense. It is an excellent mean of breaking our will. May we be ready either to stay longer on this shore, or to launch into eternity.

On Tuesday evening I preached my farewell sermon. Mr. Walsh did the same in the morning. We then walked to the Key. But it was still a doubt, whether we were to sail or not: Sir T. P., having sent word to the Captain of the Packet, that if the wind were fair, he would go over; and it being his custom (Hominis Magnificentiam!) to keep the whole ship to himself. But the wind coming to the east, he would not go; so about noon we went on board. In two or three hours we reached the mouth of the harbour. It then fell calm. We had five cabin passengers, beside Mr. Walsh, Haughton, Morgan, and me. They were all civil, and tolerably serious; the sailors likewise behaved uncommonly well.

Thursday 12, About eight, we began singing on the quarter-deck, which soon drew up all our fellow-passengers, as well as the Captain, with the greatest part of his men. I

afterwards gave an exhortation. We then spent some time in prayer. They all kneeled down with us. Nor did their seriousness wear off all the day. About nine we landed at Holy-head, after a pleasant passage of twenty-three hours.


Friday 13, Having hired horses for Chester, we set out about seven. Before one we reached Bangor, the situation of which is delightful beyond expression. Here we saw a large and handsome cathedral, but no trace of the good old Monks of Bangor, so many hundreds of whom fell a sacrificè at once to cruelty and revenge. The country from hence to Penmenmaur is far pleasanter than any garden. Mountains of every shape and size, vales clothed with grass or corn, woods and smaller tufts of trees, were continually varying on the one hand, as was the sea prospect on the other. Penmenmaur itself rises almost perpendicular to an enormous height from the sea. The road runs along the side of it, so far above the beach, that one could not venture to look down, but that there is a wall built all along, about four feet high. Mean time the ragged cliff hangs over one's head, as if it would fall every moment. An hour after we had left this awful place, we came to the ancient town of Conway. It is walled round; and the walls are in tole rably good repair. The Castle is the noblest ruin I ever saw. It is four square, and has four large round towers, on each side, the inside of which have been stately apartments. One side of the Castle is a large Church, the windows and arches of which have been curiously wrought. An arm of the sea runs round two sides of the hill on which the Castle stands: once the delight of kings, now overgrown with thorns, and inhabited by doleful birds only.

About eight we reached Place-bagh, where, as soon as I named my name, William Roberts received us with all gladness. But neither he nor any of his family, could speak one sentence of English. Yet our guide helped us out pretty well: after supper we sung and went to prayers. Though they could not speak it, most of them understood English. And God spoke to their hearts.

Saturday 14, Several of the neighbours came early in the morning, and gladly received a few words of exhortation. We then rode on, through one of the pleasantest countries in the world, by Holywell, to Chester. Here we had a comfortable meeting in the evening; as well as the next day, both in the room, and in the square.

Monday 16, The rain was suspended, while I preached to a large and quiet congregation.

Tuesday 17, I rode to Bolton. Though I came unexpected, the house was well filled. After resting a day, on Thursday 19, I went on to Manchester, and preached in the evening to a large congregation, without the least disturbance. The tumults here are now at an end; chiefly through the courage and activity of a single Constable.

Friday 20, I rode to Chelmorton in the Peak. Altho' the poor people had no previous notice, they supplied the want of it, by sending quickly to the neighbouring villages. Between seven and eight the house was pretty well filled. And many of them were extremely thankful.

Saturday 21, We set out early, and after spending an hour at Ashbourn, hastened on to Litchfield: but it was not without difficulty, the waters being out, to a very uncommon degree, in many places. About eight we reached Wednesbury, tired enough. There we stayed the next day.

Monday 23, We rode forward to Redditch. It had rained all the way, so that Mr. Walsh was obliged to go to bed, as soon as we came in. Having dried some of our clothes, Mr. Bruce and I took horse again about two: having one with us who knew the by-roads, the common road being impassable through the floods. About five we came to a broad water, which our guide did not care to pass. Mr. Bruce seeing a foot-bridge, walked over it, leading his horse by a long rein thro' the water: but in an instant the horse disappeared. However, he soon emerged and gained the bank. I rode through, at a small distance, very safely, and in the evening preached at Evesham.

Tuesday 24, Finding we could not ride the usual way,

we procured another guide and rode by Andover-ford to Stroud. Mr. Jones and my brother met us here.

Wednesday 25, We rode on to Bristol.

Thursday 26, About fifty of us being met, the Rules of the Society were read over, and carefully considered one by one. But we did not find any that could be spared. So we all agreed to abide by them all, and to recommend them with our might.

We then largely considered the necessity of keeping in the Church, and using the Clergy with tenderness. And there was no dissenting voice. God gave us all to be of one mind and of one judgment.

Friday 27, The Rules of the Bands were read and considered, one by one: which, after some verbal alterations, we all agreed to observe and inforce.

Saturday 28, The Rules of Kingswood School were read and considered, one by one. And we were all convinced, they were agreeable to Scripture and Reason. In consequence of which it was agreed:

1, That a short account of the design and present state of the School, bé read by every Assistant in every Society: and,

2, That a subscription for it be begun in every place, and (if need be) a collection made every year.

My brother and I closed the Conference by a solemn de claration of our purpose, never to separate from the Church. And all our brethren concurred therein.

For a few days I was laid up with a flux:. but on Sunday, September 5, I crept out again and preached at Kingswood in the morning, and Stokes-croft in the afternoon.

Monday 6, I set out in the Machine, and on Tuesday evening came to London.

Wednesday and Thursday I settled my temporal business. It is now about eighteen years, since I began writing and printing books. And how much in that time have I gained by printing? Why, on summing up my accounts, I found that on March 1, 1756, (the day I left London last) I had

gained by printing and preaching together, a debt of twelve hundred and thirty-six pounds.

Friday 10, I preached at a famous place, commonly called, The Bull-and-Mouth Meeting, which had belonged, I suppose, nearly a hundred years, to the people called Quakers. As much of real religion as was ever preached there, I trust, will be preached there still: and, perhaps, in a more rational, Scriptural, and intelligible manner.

Saturday 11, I read over Mr. Fry's "Case of Marriage between near Relations, Considered." And two points, I think, he has fully proved: 1, That many marriages commonly supposed to be unlawful, are neither contrary to the law of nature, nor the revealed law of God, nor the law of the land: 2, That Ecclesiastical Courts have no right to meddle with cases of this kind.

Thursday 16, I walked over to Bishop Bonner's, and preached to a large and serious congregation. I found some faintness, the sun being extremely hot; but more in walking from thence to Westminster, where I preached at seven. In the night my old disorder returned, and gradually increased, in spite of all medicines. However, on Sunday and Monday it was so far suspended, that I abated nothing of my usual employment.

Wednesday 22, I was considering I had not asked help of the Great Physician, and I resolved to delay no longer. In that hour I felt a change. I slept sound that night, and was well the next day.


Sunday, October 3, My disorder, returned as violently as But I regarded it not, while I was performing the service at Snows-fields in the morning, or afterwards at Spital-fields, till I went to the Lord's table in order to administer. A thought then came into my mind, "Why do I not apply to God, in the beginning rather than the end of an illness?" I did so and found immediate relief, so that I needed no farther medicines.

Tuesday 5, I wrote a second letter to the authors of the Monthly Review; ingenious men, but no friends to the

« AnteriorContinuar »